Apple ARM Discussion

not directly related

Wasnt there just a new SE in 2020

omfg YES PLEASE

man I’d love to have a low cost low powered RISC nvidia laptop, they’d certainly put a reasonable gpu bundled up which would make it perfect for graphic design stuff once it gets ported

on topic tho:

prices in BRL are insane, they want 18k BRL for the pro

that’d be US$ 3,300

guess I’m pretty far away from having a RISC chip laptop

XD what are you on? low cost and nvidia dont go togeather

1 Like

Snazzy Labs has ordered them all, I’m itching to see his impressions and 3rd party benchmarks

2 Likes

fuck you’re right

they gon be expensive as hell

I hope at least less expensive than apple tho

1 Like

You should probably hold on to upgrading. FIrst gen products of apple seems to be rough. Wait at least the first iteration…

1 Like

Interesting video

The unified memory is LPDDR4

The webcam quality from the new Macbook Air doesn’t look too bad. Definitely an improvement on the cheap Chinese thing I use on my desktop, but not amazing.

It reminds me old PowerPC days of the Mac - faster in highly optimized scenarios (specific applications, codecs, etc.) so the fanboys can claim that they are better than the PC. Heck they claim they are better even today when they use the same CPUs :smiley: The differences seems to be:

• this time their performance looks to be really competitive overall
  • even more limitations than before - NO RAM upgrades, less ports, more restricted SW ecosystem (only Linus mentioned that the new Mac will introduce iOS like SW control to the Macs with the T2 chips)

Overall nothing much will change - apple is niche and with this move it will either go more niche or it will drag the overall ARM SW ecosystem forward, faster.

2 Likes

Geekbench does traditionally seem to favor ARM more than other traditional test.

However the M1 Big cores, are micro-architectural beasts. 4 FP SIMD lanes, 6 Int ALU’s, 8 wide decode and 630 entry ROB. Large caches, and TLB’s.

Too bad it’s not likely to support linux.

2 Likes

No it does not, SPEC is showing similar results.

You mean natively or as dual boot?

I’m just hoping there’s going to be at least some support for booting the arm64 Linux kernels+userland in some kind of VM on os x. It’d be nice for cloud/server software development… (alternative to using actual cloud over the network for testing/iterating or having to ssh into an intel/amd server).

They already showed an Apple Silicone machine running Linux in a VM using Parallels at their WWDC keynote timestamped at 1:41:54

2 Likes

Not supporting Linux would be a good way not sell your product to developers…

1 Like

People are posting benchmark results right now, and it’s looking like the Air and this base Pro are pretty on par, even in pretty long tasks. Don’t know whether the Pro will get a performance bump with some new firmware, but for now it’s not looking like it’s worth the extra money.

1 Like

I wanna know about iOS development in these new chips

thinking about saving up some munies to get second generation in 2022 (yes they’re very expensive in my country) becoz mobile development

it’lll probably be a blast to develop on the same chip base architecture than your dev machine

ios apps will run in big sur on this chip.

does that mean it’ll be like “desktop running mobile apps” or “mobile running desktop apps”?

that’s gotta be tough

on web dev we got media properties and shit to make a website responsive to mobile, wonder how they’ll deal with this

maybe implement flexbox/grid on all the things

It’s like an iPhone or iPad ratio window on the desktop.

Review embargo’s lifted

1 Like