Anime Culture Club

And I’ve actually been watching quite a bit of anime. Odd

4 Likes

Just finished it, good series. The author could have ended it before the last arc, but the ending we got was ok. I think the author was a bit rushed with the ending, as it seemed that the last arc could have been extended.

Segawa can make a interesting world and characters, but reading Ga-Rei and Raise Kamika I felt the last arcs of both series seemed rushed.

Between the two series, they share similar story structures and character archetypes. I think what makes the two differ the most is the world and power system. Segawa’s world building and power system was interesting enough I didn’t notice the similar story structure and character archetypes.

If I were to compare the two, Raise Kamika, is a refined Ga-Rei. I felt Segawa had developed the companions to integrate more with the plot in Raise Kamika.

1 Like

Oh yeah I saw this on bonsai pop. Though if it wasn’t for your post, I probably would not have watched the bonsai pop video in the fiest place

1 Like

I disagree with his opinion that “the show faithfully captures the style of the manga” I think the style of the manga is on another level to anything I’ve ever seen, and just the line work alone is worth reproducing in anime form. The show might capture the feel of the world itself in the dark overtones it conveys, but the manga manages to showcase this in even in the style of the drawing itself.

for example, in this random panel I’ve selected, you can see the erratic way in which the character’s hair is filled in and the random splotches of grim/blood/dirt that have been flung about the panel. Even the panel’s borders aren’t neat lines but rather hastily sketched. These minute details add to the grittiness the author is trying to convey and damn does the anime miss the point on this by using CG.

This kind of CG in anime also suffers from the “frame rate” issue that seems to plague every recent CG release. Not to mention the fact that character expression is basically muted for all but the most flamboyant CG scenes. Expressive subtlety is completely lost in the context of CG. I mean even using this show as a example just have a look at the hand drawn scenes versus the CG.

Hand drawn:

CG:

One of these two looks cheap and extremely mechanical whereas the other looks fluid and expressive.

Every one of these CG anime reviews compromises on the CG part saying it’s just as good as it’s traditionally drawn equivalent when in reality, if people had the option to choose, they would opt for the traditionally drawn rendition. So far I have been persuaded over and over again to watch these kinds of CG anime usually being told that the show is worth watching for the story alone. I’m not going to support this CG that could one day become the norm simply because the animation studio decided that this is what I should be watching. I don’t care if the studio want’s to line their pockets with the money they save using CG instead of traditional animation, I’m going to support what’s good; and what’s good isn’t CG as it stands. Come back to CG when you can achieve the same results as Love Death + Robots or Final Fantasy Advent Children but until then I simply won’t watch CG anime.

4 Likes

@anon11544174
If it looks anything like Beast Stars they can fuck off.

2 Likes

I thought beastars looked pretty good, what didn’t you like about it?

both of the CG anime I’ve seen from them (beastars and land of the lustrous) I thought looked great, especially land of the lustrous since the art style was like asking for a CG adaptation.

1 Like

Cuz furry lmao. Goteem.
Someone made a good point though. It might have been a fairly generic anime in 2D animation.

4 Likes

Exactly, the CG in land of the lustrous really brought the world to life in a way that wouldn’t quite be the same if they used traditional 2D animation.

Like if I had to choose a beautiful 2D anime that does a great job at bring a world to life to compare to land of the lustrous I’d choose Violet Evergarden, which does a phenomenal job at this, but the two just hit so different You couldn’t really replicate what either did with the other method.

In both land of the lustrous and beastars I found the character expressions to add a whole other level of depth to the characters that really made me like them more than I probably would have if they were 2D drawn. Now that’s not to say there aren’t normal anime that can do this really well too, because there certainly are, but it just hits different if you’re watching something that is CG rather than 2D or 2D rather than CG

2 Likes

@TeckMonster

4 Likes

You’re telling me if you had Oshiyama, Kiyotaka working on it, it would be generic? Generic anime is only generic because of the talent used to make it. I mean if you look at Beast Star’s CG director, Eiji INOMOTO he’s worked on a shit ton of projects involving CG and I bet he’s not cheap.

Same CG guy as I pointed out above.

if it all comes down to talent then why not hire the 2D animation director with the same amount of experience? Audiences are already used to traditional animation so it should be a home run right?

It’s completely about money. You can hire one expensive CG director to help the character designer build interesting 3D character models then use some cheap labor to pump out episodes left and right when it comes to the anime season. With 2D animation, not only do you have to get the talented animation director but you also have to get talented animators to make keyframes and hire even more people to fill in the gaps.

At no point were executives sitting in a room and thinking “You know what, I bet people will really enjoy 3D animation instead of 2D animation. Let’s pour a ton of money into 3D animation to make it better than what they’re used to” no instead they looked at the numbers and tried to make something that would stick. Producers are trying to turn anime into a recipe to print money (even more than it already is) and currently they’re experimenting with producing 3D products to draw in large numbers. If they can compare their successful 2D lineup with their successful 3D lineup and show a significant cost savings with 3D, they’ll only produce 3D in the future.

TBC. Need to get back to work

1 Like

Unfortunately through the scope of your average anime viewer yes. It would have been seen as generic or mediocre and most would have not given it the time of day regardless of the quarantine.

Your average viewer isn’t going to take any of this into consideration and judging from their Mal scores you can see why. I honestly love story’s being told in just about any medium. Shit it could have been a good atmosphere with detailed sound and amazing voice acting and be presented as a slide show and I most likely would have enjoyed the show as much as I did.

2 Likes

https://anilist.co/activity/90045220
3 Likes

https://anilist.co/activity/90080859

What’s a good comedy series that @Skelterz has probably been goin off about at some point that I need to watch?

• Chio’s School Road
  • Denki Gai no Honya san
  • Ghost Stories Dub (yes really. dub, not sub. trust me on this one, they’re 2 completely different shows)
  • Golden Boy
  • Hataage! Kemono Michi
  • Bofuri
  • Mairimaishita! Iruma kun
  • Oshi ga Budoukan Ittekuretara Shinu
  • Punch Line
  • Shimoneta (I think you’ve seen it though, I can’t remember)
  • Sounan Desu Ka?

I’ve got more, but this is a start.

5 Likes

Got this in the mail. (brand new)
Open for trading.

5 Likes

Ran into a truckload of issues not being able to rip using Windows 7’s media player anymore.
Fuck my life.
Can’t even listen to it/enjoy it the same way I used to.

Musicbee rips well, as does Exact Audio Copy.

1 Like

I’ll give MusicBee a shot.

Looking at Foobar2000 right now and databases.
Some of the functions are not the same and/or not in the same order as Windows Media Player, so I’m trying to figure out how/what to get used to.

Musicbee is pretty flexible in layout and function, it’s just not always obvious how to change things.

Last I checked Musicbee automatically cross references databases when ripping and will apply the metadata you choose. If lyrics are found it will also pull those.

I usually get my music straight off of Bandcamp now, so I haven’t actually ripped a CD in a while.