AMD 32 Core vs. Intel 28 Core

Manual for the HC1000 cooler Intel used:

Also runs on R22 refrigerant gas that’s banned in the US and Europe:

So you could only do this in demo in Asia or Africa.

By running some mods on the chiller you can get to 4C and if you try alternative refrigerants and water additives you can get the water to negative temperatures. You can also run at hella high flow rates to pull away more heat.

3 Likes

There are 3 versions of the cooler.
Related discussion from the “GN calls BS” thread (locked):

I’m actually suspecting that Intel used something else than any 'stock' refrigerant anyway.

This doesn’t even make sense as a joke

Care to share?

Chill a 50/50 water/ethanol mix and see what happens.

Your comment on stock refrigerants and r22 being illegal are completely irrelevant to the Intel chip being a piece of shit.

Those are just the facts of what the Cooler is speced for. If intel ran it ‘as is’.

My guess is it was actually using R290 as that’s more common in Asia. Which can be done in the HC1000 even though it’s not on the manual.

Fun fact. Where I work, we still sell R22. Its not actually becoming “illegal” until 2020. Its not legal in new systems but you can still get the refrigerant.

The chiller itself could very well have been illegal if it had been imported with r22 but r22 itself is not illegal in the US yet.

1 Like

Where I am in South Africa R22 total ban is only scheduled for 2040. But since 2014 can’t import any R22 systems or parts. And since 2015 legaly can’t make parts for R22 systems in south africa itself.

But can still get the gas, except nobody really wants it, so demand has gone down and prices up. Yeah don’t ask me why the fuck they now charge more for it even though there’s less demand. Reverse economics

So yeah it’s pretty much dead.

China and by extension Taiwan are not part of the Montreal protocol so new r22 equipment is not illegal. So it still doesn’t matter what refrigerant they used. They could have used r12 for all they care it’s irrelevant.

2 Likes

Yip. Agree with that.

I just had to bring up what R22 is since most dont have a clue regarding refrigerants.

Where I am in the midwest, theres still a decent amount of service guys coming to get R22 parts and refrigerant. The increase in cost is likely due to the cost to recycle.

I just wanted to clarify the ‘R22 is illegal stuff’… But to get back to the topic at hand, Intel chip is boo, AMD is yay or something to that effect.

Remember all the trash AMD got for being hot and the Fx9590 requiring an aio? This is kek worthy turn of circumstances

1 Like

I dont really remember that but I probably wasnt paying attention. The fx9590 wasnt trash because it ran so hot, it was trash because it was just a binned 8350 which was also just a recycled part. For 5 years AMD just didnt really do anything…but neither did intel really. It didnt matter though because intel was just so far ahead. Now though the tables have kinda turned though not a complete 180, at least there is competition. People want to see intel drop something different though, not just one off server hardware.

1 Like

Great video from Buildzoid… gives even more data as to how bad this demo was and how little it was thought out.

Yes they did, sandy Bridge through skylake saw massive gains in performance in the 15W TDP area which is the highest volume of CPUs being sold to consumers. Server CPUs has also seen huge gains in the same timeframe.

Intel sure made a good choice with the cooling solution, never seen a water chiller talked about this much other than in high end aquarium talks.

1 Like

Thats because they had competition in the form of ARM. Server stuff though I dont know that I agree, but thats missing the point really. In the enthusiast space both AMD and Intel stagnated. Granted there were some changes made over each line on intels end the actual design remained much the same.

You lose the economics of scale. Cant have product no one is allowed to buy sitting around.

1 Like

last year we got this gem:

but this year even got:

3 Likes

And the Pentium D before that.

1 Like