AMD 32 Core vs. Intel 28 Core

I like when I cry from laughing

1 Like

Looks like we might have a name for the threadripper; 2990X

3.4GHz on 32 cores is really impressive (assuming all core)

1 Like

5GHz on 28 cores is more impressive

Sorry couldn’t help myself.

3 Likes

its probably all core. its probably the base clock so maybe we can get 3.8-4Ghz on some decent cooling :smiley:

2 Likes

The baseclock is 3.0GHz

It’s funny, AMD simply needs to have motherboard makers post compatible RAM kits for the TR. Intel is going to have to publish compatible RAM kits AND compatible water chiller kits for the 28 core.

4 Likes

On 1.6kw of chiller and about 1kw of power for long enough to run Cinebench? nah not so much.

1 Like

Had never watched the first one all the way through, wish I had sooner. DLC RAID keys…

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: INTEL Inside™ The Pitchfork & Torches Edition

Off topic

1 Like

Wait what

Wrong buttons
@BookrV make a thread

1 Like

Wat u doin bruh?

I open a thread can you push the posts to it?

Yes, that’s what I was trying to do <_<

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/intel-inside-tm-the-pitchfork-torches-edition/128614

Heresy… You have to pick a side and stick with it no matter what… /s

Seriously though. I’m loving all of this. 28 cores @4.5GHz (extrapolating chiller 5GHz performance to delidded water) would be great. 32 cores @ 4GHz would be great. hex channel memory with a channel devoted to NVDIMMs would be great. CEOs who don’t have inappropriate relationships with their employees are also great!

It’s been a rough 10+ years of yawning and finally we get some excitement in the CPU world.

Better question I’ve not heard asked or answered… If the AMD MB/Socket were wired up for 8-channel memory, does the TR package support connection to the dark 4 channels on the odd-nodes?

No coffee yet @kewldude007?

You ain’t gonna get 28 cores @ 4.5 without a lot of fuckin work. The 5GHZ was Cinnebench only, Prime 95 on that chiller probably 4.6GHZ stable and for who knows how long. Maybe you could get it stable for an hour of Prime95… but how much voltage would you have to pump through it? The answer… a lot more then 5GHZ Cinnebench. I’d be surprised if you could keep 28 cores @ 4 GHZ stable for high intensity workloads without serious water cooling and delidding. Not very exciting taking a 10000 to 12000 server chip, stripping a couple of features off and selling it as new desktop component mated to a 1000 dollar motherboard just to play the me too game.

3 Likes