3d Printable MODxRU Case/NAS/Shelf (WIP - 2024!)

So based on all the conversastions about custom NAS and my own desire to build a modular rack tray to hold my Lenovo M720Q’s I figured I would post this so you can see my progress.

Dual Half Height 5.25 Bays

9 Likes

Ended up not happy with any of my test prints so I rebuilt the whole thing with a little room for “slop” Still need to build some base support into the design but so far this is looking like a better design.

2 Likes

Test prints are still going but I think I may have the design now. Just enough room for slop, and glue, stronger joints where I can, mirrored component design to reduce the number of custom parts.

1U 5.25 Bay

Tiny Mini Micro 1L computer bay

I may still build in more support but for now I just need to verify that all the parts interlock, are secure, and actually fit in a rack.

3 Likes

Next up is a 3.5" x 5.25 2U bay, and its supporting structures.

5 Likes

Thanks! Thats cool, need to get a printer.

This is really cool, I love the idea of 3D printing a modular rack-mountable NAS! I could definitely see this kind of design being useful for other rack-mounting applications as well. Good job!

Neat stuff man!

Last test print went well, but I needed to adjust the wing/front plate mounting.

I also added some 5mm biscuits that can hold the sides together when stacked.

2U and 3U 5.25" drive bays have been built along with 2U and 3U wings for extra strength.

I am going to try to print this layout starting tomorrow (but with two 3U wings not the split 2u and 1u) and if everything goes the way I expect, then I can publish the files so people can start printing their own parts.

Modules I still want to design/build:

• Mini ATX board tray
  • M-ATX board tray
  • ATX board tray
  • Motherboard IO shield
  • TFX PSU mount
  • SFX PSU mount
  • ATX PSU mount
  • 1U and 2U supermicro server PSU mounts
  • 1U 3.5" Drive tray w/ caddy
  • 2U 3.5" Drive tray w/ caddy
  • 3U Vertical 3.5" Drive trays w/ caddy
  • 4U vertical 5.25" Drive cages for ICYDOC
  • 1U-2U-3U-4U PCI IO shield and mounting
  • 40/80/120mm hotswap fan holders
  • Commodity drawer slide rack mount attachment
  • 240mm-360mm radiator mount
  • m.2 NVME Drive Trays w/ caddy

Modules Currently Built:

• Stacking Biscuit
  • 1U Rack Wing
  • 2U Rack Wing
  • 3U Rack Wing
  • 1U Universal Stacking Side Support
  • 1U 5.25" Drive Cage Front Plate
  • Universal 5.25" Drive Cage Base Plate
  • 1U 2x 5.25 Center Adapter Front Plate (Stacking)
  • 1U 2x 5.25 Center Adapter Base Plate
  • 2U 5.25" Drive Cage Front Plate
  • 3U 5.25" Drive Cage Front Plate
  • 1U Tiny Mini Micro universal Front Plate
  • 1U Tiny Mini Micro Universal Base Plate
  • 1U 2x Tiny Mini Micro Center Adapter Front Plate
  • 1U Tiny Mini Micro to 1U 5.25" Drive Cage Center Adapter (Stacking)
  • 1U Tiny Mini Micro to 1U 5.25" Drive Cage Center Adapter Base Plate (Stacking)

I am open to other suggestions for things I might be missing!

2 Likes

Wow that looks very impressive. You must be a professional CAD designer.
What CAD software are you using?

Regarding

Maybe some mounting bracket for a SAS expander like Intel RES3TV360. While I don’t own such an expander, I found the dimensions on Intel Ark. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/res3tv360_ug_002.pdf (on page 5)

Fusion 360 and nope I have never touched CAD.

Sas expander is a good idea but I will need to design some serious supports and metal reinforcement to hold that kind of weight. PLA plastic won’t hold it alone.

Beginning of a 3.5" Drive Tray

1 Like

Printed the 3u 5.25in bay and stuck in a drive shelf. Printing more supports and mounting for my two Lenovo Mini’s and the center adapter.

with drives in it im worried about how strong it will end up so I am already thinking about how I can use extruded aluminum, or angle iron to make it strong enough.

Its possible that when I put it on rack slides they will provide enough support.

I also think I have found the “style” of my supports so the air flow holes on the Drive Caddy will probably start finding their way into the rest of the prints.

4 Likes

Test print is done. The center structure and parts attached to the drive cage I have no doubt would hold but the tiny mini micro part lacks the same strength. I had thought front to back weight was going to be the issue so I planned on adding rails but now I need to develop a way to keep the center from sagging and pulling it’s self apart.

Printing tolerances require a well tuned printer. But I think by next week I can release v1 and be confident that it will hold.

3 Likes

5 Likes

First round of disk caddy test prints are on the printer now!

It has a functional latching system just need to see if it works after everything is assembled.

Current print tests the latch, clip, and hinge.

4 Likes

I was wondering when it would be possible to get the files for this ? I have a mini pc cluster i am currently building and woukd love to test this in my rack with it i can even provide feedback.

1 Like

Looks super legit. Is this a basic ABS print?

Im petty sure thats pla

life has been winning against this project for the moment. Hopefully I will be home and able to work on this again in mid October.

2 Likes

Yes, but it could be ABS, this is PLA because im lazy.