A cheapish 1U or 2U server

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2366.2vs5060/[Dual-CPU]-Intel-Xeon-E5-2699-v3-vs-Intel-i7-13700K

For example. A newer architecture even with fewer cores can out perform combined Xeons.

1 Like

I would definitely fight that extremely hard in court and I’d raise all the money possible to do so. Like I stated this is what I have to do. I must do this.

Ok so I’m just looking for score rather than cores? That’s a good comparison though. I’ll have to check some stuff out and put something together and figure this out.

to some extent yes. The big advantages of surplus server/enterprise gear is often lots of PCIe. But if your not needing to stick 12 20tb drives and 3 GPU’s and dual 100gb networking cards then the advantages start to fall away.

At that point the real advantage is generally higher max ram amounts. But you can overcome that with more nodes.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2366.2vs5382/[Dual-CPU]-Intel-Xeon-E5-2699-v3-vs-Intel-i5-13600HX

So you could do something like these small little PC’s that are very low power and still can have very good performance.

1 Like

One other thing with used enterprise gear is often its less expensive than consumer for used because it has a smaller resale market.

Would you be willing to share the site you were shopping at? Maybe I can find the best of both worlds with used enterprise equipment, but better performance per $$.

Ok right on. I do have one of those left over from India that I used for Jellyfin because the 4g is terrible there and Amazon music kept buffering and that’s odd because my music converter to 64 kbps Opus didn’t skip and I hosted it from home on an old old old i5 with Cloudflare tunnel. Never skipped. I’ll take this into consideration and I’m probably going to do this.

Someone suggested this and now I feel lame. I really thought you needed server stuff to do server things but wrong I was.

The operating system/platform will make a larger difference than the hardware.

I think you should take your small PC, install Proxmox on it, and get familiar. Setup some containers run your services, get a benchmark for how well it runs. For the short term you can get a domain name from a not US affiliated service, host a very small VPS in a privacy focused country and then setup an IPSEC tunnel to your small node at home. This will give you an idea of not only the needed software but hardware.

1 Like

HP Proliant DL360 Gen9 2x E5-2623v3 3.0GHz 64GB RAM No HDD | eBay is where I found the server that would need a CPU swap. https://www.servermonkey.com/2-3-ghz-eighteen-core-intel-xeon-processor-with-45mb-cache-e5-2699-v3.html is the 18 core xeon CPU. I mean everything can be from eBay. I know how to read reviews and all of that. I was in India and used Amazon there and it’s much worse than Amazon in the US. Lots of fake reviews and products.

I bought a domain. All 3 to be sure. .com .net and .org

careful with HP’s they have licenses that can prevent stuff from working. I personally have had the best luck with used Supermicro, and some Dell.

I would avoid Cisco servers.

All 3 of those Top Level Domains are controlled by US law, and depending on who you got the domains from, they can still kick you off their platform based on their terms of service.

So you may want to transfer, or have a backup that is not under US law or a private companies terms of service.

1 Like

Ok noted. I didn’t know they had licenses that stop then from working. It’s like BMW with an additional fee for heated seats.

Would you opt for a commercial router? I was thinking about that. I have a 24 port switch I bought in India.

I was going to transfer them to Epik since they seem most able to uphold what I want. They also have domain privacy for free but I’m going to have to wait for 60 days to transfer them which is a bummer. When and if they do the f you you’re a bad bad person thing do they say you need to transfer your domains since free speech isn’t against the law you should be able to just transfer if they want to be all goofy about it.

Well good luck, and try not to spread hate, just freedom.

1 Like

Thanks for the help.

I am not your enemy. All I’m doing is trying to show you the full picture of the situation in terms of hosting things that can provoke a certain group of people and what it looks like in terms of ddos. I posted that thread here from a purely technical/conceptual point of view so that someone can better understand your needs for the server you’re asking about.

I wish you good luck with your project but I hope you understand the risks.

P.S
Please don’t attribute words to me that I never said.

P.S. 2
There are also other companies with similar services as Cloudflare.

Sexy beast… do you have more pics? :wink:

Mate, unless you build your own payment network and your own hosting provider, nothing you trying achieve here is realistically resistant to DDOS or beying cut off upstream.

Without relying on thirdparty services providing protection and balancing, single determined actor will bring you down. You cannot build equivalent protection alone, just take some basic precautions. They re NOT enought nowadays.

Cloudfare cancer is popular for a reason, they both cheap and effective for what they provide.

Also your oppression rant is kinda strange , your freedom effectively ends where other people freedom begins. They absolutely are free not to do business with you. Expecting anything else is your desire to oppress the other side into relinquishing some freedom in your benefit.

Be glad you haven’t experienced what state repression really is. Worst case scenario in your country is when someone being such a dick that lines are crossed, that everyone drops them like hot potato, be it employer or business partner.

You could dissappear in police van elsewhere and not be seen in years if lucky, never if not. Or worse, you could be made example of.

Freedom isn´t free. Be glad. You have the best deal available on this planet right now.

1 Like

No it isn’t:

Cemetery of US soldiers fallen during WW II in Europe. Currently 8288 graves. There’s a tradition of Dutch local families maintaining a grave. The waiting list for that is 20+ years.

In Dutch:

English version (less extensive):

The people of the Netherlands are proud and grateful to offer an eternal resting place to those who paid the ultimate price for our Freedom. Because we know the cost of freedom. So we care.

1 Like

Project stalled but I’m going to try to get it going again soon.

3 Likes