3d Printable MODxRU Case/NAS/Shelf (WIP - 2024!)

Actually, EATX board tray or bigger would be awesome, since growing sockets and more connectivity call for larger form factors.
Also a central place where it is all published and others can also contribute would be cool.

yeah I plan to put it on printables and thingaverse when im ready. I need to tweak a few more key areas before the first core parts can be uploaded.

4 Likes

Definitely looking forward to this i could really use this for several setups

where can I download the file

Awesome work so far, this gives me both ideas and inspirations for my Ikea Kallax mod :slight_smile: Maybe I will work on that during the weekend…

1 Like

I have not hosted them yet as I have been dealing with sick family all year long. Hopefully when I get home from this trip I will have some time to work on the project again.

I’m not really happy with it’s strength right now so I’m going to be doing some revisions anyway.

I hope that as soon as possible you will be able to upload the files and perhaps provide the link, as material you can use PA6-CF , PAHT-CF , PET-CF or PLA CF
not knowing what your printer supports, but these materials support a lot of weight and resistance even to bending, and high temperatures

I’m booked to fly on the 9th but will probably need some time to help bring my own house back into order.

1 Like

No worries bud take your time im looking forward to your project let me know if you need any help!

Thanks having a parent in hospice and flying back and forth really kills my time.

Perhaps a silly question from me but how do you connect the SATA cables from the backplane of your 5" enclosure to your Dell micros ?

SATA extension cable passed through the back, but im working on a better solution with a sata port mounted on the back of the mini PC.

Just not my year as family has been the priority.

1 Like

Ok, so thanks to the holidays and improving family health, I have restarted on this project.

I also have learned so much that some of the base bits are being redone (again) to improve consistency.

The core of the design has not changed I am simply rebuilding some of the less clean models.

I will try to keep things up to date, as I am going to be making a real push to get this to a published v1.0 in the next few weeks. Primary reason is I need to mount my PC’s they cant keep doing nothing and sitting around, its time to put them to use and the lack of finished rackmount is not a valid excuse anymore.

I am looking to tighten tolerances some, and add an option for structural support using both/either screws and heat press fittings and/or aluminium angle L stock.

I am also working to make sure no single part is greater than about 180/190mm so it will fit on most entry level 3d printers.

3 Likes

Will be glad to do a video on this when you’re ready

4 Likes

Nearly all the previous base parts have been cleaned up, still some more center bits to finish up, but im also working on a cable arm so I can put this on rails (commodity draw slides w/ 3d printed rack adapters).

I also am back to Hexagons but I am going to offer a lines alternative as well.

So many little legacy issues have been cleaned up! Glad i started new rather than trying to work through all the old files.

1 Like

My favorite thing about designing 3d Printed stuff is the evolution and refinement. It looks great! Hexagons are the bestagons!

1 Like

I think the hexagons are fine - though I would fill in the really slim holes at the edges, that looks kinda weird. Looking good otherwise!

We are approaching the point where there is too much detail to provide a summery screen shot!

Next up some rail rack adapters, then probably some 3.5in bays for 1u.

after that will be a MiniATX tray/shelf in 1U/2U/3U but all modular so they connect with the rest of the parts im building.

Printer is running now 24/7 (unless it finishes while I sleep) so I can test parts.

3 Likes

For Rack screws and cage nuts, do people prefer M5, M6 or 10/32?

M6 or rack studs