Ziply 50gig home internet

Not a typo. Ziply announced fifty-gigabit home internet in their entire service area in the PNW.

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

This is bananas. They’re delivering a QSFP28 optic to your house and you bring your own router. $900/mo ($18/gig/mo) They recommend the $2800 mikrotik flagship router with two 100gig ports.

reddit thread: Reddit - Dive into anything
press release: Ziply Fiber Press Release | Ziply Fiber
check-your address: 2, 5, 10 and 50-gig plans from Ziply Fiber | Ziply Fiber

I get the trope of “640K ought to be enough for anybody”, but what in the heck are people gonna do with 50 gig to the home?

L1 seems like the place where folks are going to stick a 100gig card in a threadripper and see what they can do. :rofl:

6 Likes

I don’t think there is a use case. UNLESS it is allowed in the usage agreement to run servers out of your home or rolling out your own WISP with the connection (help pay for the connection, and you’re the coolest neighbor)

1 Like

Looks like a small business package, aimed at like content creators or what have you that are not proplery incorporated as a “business” but still need that kind of service, to me.
Deffo not a home internet connection

1 Like

For the aspiring home data centre types eh? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Unless they are hosting their content as a fallback at home, what service accepts even 10Gig upload (or download)?

1 Like

#OnlyPans.

The Red Hot cookery streaking service…

@psycho_666

3 Likes

Tor exit node maybe but even then!!!

Boxes that seed…things.

1 Like

Am I the only one surprised at the states actually involved here? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Seems like a strange assortment of places to get the worlds fastest home internet connection?

Maybe there are just too many boxes that seed things? lol
That would actually make a strange kind of sense if some weird underground community grew up around this business which fed the beast of their growth and expansion. Or maybe not. :man_shrugging:

I think they bought the operations of the phone companies there and new engineering is running things. Their YouTube tour of the offices explains it. Pretty cool

1 Like

Cries in Comcast
Ziply is rolling out fiber in my city, but my block is not in their service and they do not plan on providing service on my block. But they keep sending me adverts and my block is literally an island in a see of new Ziply service. Looking at their planned roll out and proposed new roll out, I will not see their service in the 10 year plan that they have for my city. I was so hyped but now, I am bummed.

Not surprised at all. These states are bangin ass wonderful places to live in general excluding the inner parts of their cities. Lots of people live there and in the emptier parts lots of richer types. All of which are fedup with the offerings and monopolies of their internet providers. This if anything is a smart business move since nothing local would be able to compete

Man if thats true i 2000% support them. I thinj a great use of a public 50 gig is to run your own internet exchange haha

I need to get utopia. They offer 1 10 40 and 100 gig (this tier is non advertised and you must call for it) to home non business required in slc.

Probably why ziply didnt come here

For those crying in cable company (trust me i get that)… Get involved in your local politics and push for policies against internet monopolies and maybe the same thing would come to your place

Why would you need this. Just reverse proxy through a wireguard tunnel. 1) this benefits you. 2) this gives your isp deniability. Having a clause that allows hosting and content is a legal nightmare

Im also a firm believer of fuck the TOS. Covertly break it through tunnels all day everyday

Or you could run your own internet exchange. By being an ixp… You can dish out more than just a wisp.

2 Likes

I live in Western Washington on an Island. I can confirm.

1 Like

There’s always a use case.

Not specifically to download more, but to wait less.

My internet for example is very bursty. If I’m trying to transfer a few gb to/from work for example, regular consumer speeds have me waiting.

Over the long term I wouldn’t do a heap more data on a 50 gig pipe (there’s only so much I can consume, etc.) but I’d get things copied around a LOT faster. And could work faster from home as a result.

1 Like

Checked every address I know in King and Pierce county that has fiber access (friends/family/etc) and not a one is listed in Ziply’s service area. Not exactly sure who is able to get this, but nobody I know from Bothell to Steilacoom seems to be included.

1 Like

New Brunswick in Canada (very few people, only three cities of note and rural for the most part) has one of the best infrastructures as many projects are tested there before rolling out to the rest of the country. Probably the same logic at play. If they can make it work in the PNW, they can make it work anywhere.

For personal use, I’d be happy with a 1GB synchronous connection.

1 Like

To be clear here. I live in Connecticut. I have 3 fiber providers available in my area, and 2 that service my street. Fiber is exploding all over the place. But when someone says “Montana” I think “Yellowstone Dutton Ranch” not “Datacenter”. In retrospect tho, that show kinda does point the finger at growth and change so meh :stuck_out_tongue:

Your lucky! Only have 1 provider in my section of this state and only became available april of this year!

Relatively new here too, in the past ~3-5 years. I remember being very excited when I moved to this house. They had 300/40 cable. lol.

Cries in 200/10 cable
Amen to that. Id be happy with half that if its synchronous. I’m in Ohio and were getting fiber in our area but I recently moved and I’m right outside the service area (service area literally stops at my road).