Ziply 50gig home internet

I am in a peninsula of cable in a sea of fiber…

1 Like

When I look at fiber deployment around me…they literally made a circle with my home being the center and deployed fiber everywhere 500m outside of that circle.

I’m running with 1Gbit down and 50Mbit up cable connection (not that bad actually, but upstream sucks ass) that is also very unreliable and breaks down every couple of weeks. Alternative is 25Mbit DSL lol.

:hugs: We’re in this together…cut off from the civilized world lol

2 Likes

All they have to do is filter “LOL,” “ROTF” and smiley faces from Internet traffic and we’d never have slow Internet again.

2 Likes

I’m way more excited for the fiber/patch panel infrastructure than for any particular speed, because it is all the speeds. With a direct fiber you and your provider just swap one optic on each side and go with 10G, 100G, 400G, 800G.

Not getting lumped in with ~64 GPON/DOCSIS subscribers in your 'hood lets your provider offer you the exact service you want immediately rather than waiting for some mass rollout. It’s a dream for enthusiasts and niche users. We just gotta demand our damn patch panels and fight against edge GPON systems.

Anyone in the Ziply service area? The FCC broadband map has high detail per-house as of this past December. Anywhere that shows ziply 5000/5000 should be eligible for the 50Gbps service.

1 Like

This makes perfect sense to me. The fact that they’re all working on this together is just a coincidence. What probably happened is the same thing that happened with Frontier (my ISP, offers 1, 2, 10gig symmetric).

Verizon made the mistake around 7 years ago of saying “the future is wireless, bundle up all our fiber and spin it off or sell it to offset debt.”

I bet they’re really regretting that choice now, but the consumers are starting to have the luxury of choice in a lot of places, so I’m extremely happy.

3 Likes

I see what you mean. Its actually kinda funny how all of this happened in CT, and similar to what you are saying.

I bet some of you folks out there have great stories about the advent of home fiber connetions. Verizon and Google all had marketing stunts where they serviced small-ish communities. But I think those stories are probably more of a distraction of what was going on behind the scenes. The only outlyer I think is Chatanooga and thats just a really cool story lol

Since the 90s, the telephone lines went from
SNET->SBC Global->ATT->Frontier
The infrastructure basically decayed and wasn’t taken care of. Most commercial buildings I’ve worked in still have telco demarcs that say SNET.

Comcast/Optimum have market monopolies for cable in different towns…no competition at all. It was cable or really bad dsl for a really long time.

About 5 years ago?, a bunch of guys from Crown Castle (previously Lightower, carrier grade fiber) left the company and started GoNetSpeed. They grabbed a ton of market share in all of the big cities. Vetro FiberMap® - Shared View

Then suddenly Frontier/Comcast/Optimum got their shit together and most of the state has fiber.

Also, from a differant market perspective, CEN Home | Connecticut Education Network (ctedunet.net)
has a market monopoly with a MASSSSSIVE MPLS network running on fiber strands. The initial version of that network used to be called “The Ring of Fire” lol

The guys who built that went on to build “Internet2” Home - Internet2

So from my perspective, all of the Lighttower and Internet2 guys really sparked the change. Everyone else just fell inline with the new reality. I could be wrong on some of the details, but I prefer thinking about it as the “reluctant” heros solving the problem :stuck_out_tongue:.

If nothing else calling it the world wide “web” is hilarious if you think about it.

2 Likes

:scream_cat:

Really? That’s impressive.

I’ve been at this place for 18-ish months now and my Comcast keeps pestering me with a $29.99 for 35mbps down DOCSIS package. Bitch please, I pay $70 for symmetric gig.

1 Like

I’m wrong, Saw the ads for full duplex and just assumed.

Wow. DOCSIS 3.1 didn’t live long…lol
[NEWS] Comcast begins roll-out of DOCSIS 4.0 - Comcast XFINITY | DSLReports Forums

Although to be fair they do have a limited FTTH offering
Comcast Gigabit Pro / Xfinity Gigabit x6 Now x10 at 10 Gigabits Per Second - YouTube

1 Like

Check Island County. Whidbey Telecom and Ziply offer Fiber. Comcast has fiber in the area but their fiber is dark and they refuse to do anything with it. Their deal with Washington state and Island county allows them to leverage this to keep the other fiber services out. This should be criminal.

1 Like

Notably not King or Pierce, and nobody I know lives on the islands. Cool for the less than 100K people that are there though that they get this, not sure why the actual population density of the entire state doesn’t seem to have access to it. I guess Ziply can’t compete with Comcast’s stranglehold, or they don’t like making money?

Lumen seemingly has no problem offering fiber in areas that Comcast services, but they top out around a gig.

1 Like

What I heard from the Ziply guy was that King County and Seattle are too much of a pain to deal with for permitting for them to go in and build over the competitors. He’s said as much on reddit. There’s also lots of fiber competition in the downtown areas form Google Fiber and WaveG (Astound’s fiber to building brand) so there’s little room for them to exist and compete. It kinda sucks for consumers as I’m sure they’d love to come in and supplant Lumen and Comcast.

1 Like

I wish that they could supplant Comcast on my block. Whidbey telecom cannot offer fibre on North Whidbey because of Comcast. Comcast’s contracted monopoly with the state and county is beyond criminal.

I grew up in Washington. For being a “progressive” state they sure love their corporate monopolies.

2 Likes

Communists have always loved monopolies. We are full of californians and our laws reflect that.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I’ll probably never move back there because of the direction the state has been going.

Communism is just a state monopoly.

Wait, this isn’t the lounge.

3 Likes

I should edit / clarify my previous statement. It should read that fiber only became available to me this past april. The speeds i’m getting from fiber is 4 times faster than what I was paying for cable for $20 less than cable. Cable in my area can go upto 1Gbps the last time I checked!

1 Like