ZFS On Unraid? Let's Do It (Bonus Shadowcopy Setup Guide) [Project]

Possible? yes

You would probably want to restrict it to 100 or so most popular games, but itā€™s your petabytes

1 Like

The people on the discord areā€¦ Special.

if steam will give you a site license yes

2 Likes

How much space would that take?

At last count itā€™s like 10+ terabytes

1 Like

oh. Thatā€™s really not much at all.

@nitroflow I am very sorry, I really thought Steam had a lot more larger games.

Build it and they will come :slight_smile:

With steam blessing :stuck_out_tongue:

OKā€¦ Since I just ran the cache for DreamHack Atlantaā€¦ No it doesnā€™t work that way and while DH has 300+ Steam logins they all have the same titles. Site license mode has been replaced with Cafe mode and it doesnā€™t work for things like the BYOC at DH or QuakeCon. Also at scale the containers are a bottleneck, we found the CPU utilization of the docker network interfaces unacceptable at 20/30Gbs line rates. If you are going to DH Anaheim 2020 come say hi!

2 Likes

I wish I could go!

Thanks for the info!

The lsi 9405w-16i tri-mode storage adapter info says itā€™s pci ā€œ3.1ā€. I have a x470d4u2-2t and was thinking of getting this storage adapter but I wasnā€™t sure if it would work with nvme because I will need to run the pci lanes x8 x8 and also because the board manual says pci 3.0. Will it fully work or is it gimped or bottlenecked at all? Also Happy Thanksgiving Yā€™all!

Testing this setup on my r730xd box with 12x12tb drives, 2 ssds, and an optane drive.

For now Iā€™m running unRaid on one USB drive and have another USB drive as one of the ā€œdataā€ drives. I added all of the 12tb drives to a zpool to test.

My question is. What is the long-term feasibility of doing this? I see you said that we have to have at least one data drive and Iā€™d rather not waste any of my rust on that. Thoughts?

Am I missing something orā€¦

1. arenā€™t those bind mounts the wrong way around? I.e. shouldnā€™t the first parameter be the path on the host
  2. arenā€™t the mount points inside the container /data/cache and /data/logs (according to the lancache usage notes)?

I.e. the full command should be

docker run --restart unless-stopped \
  --name lancache \
  -v /tank/docker/lancache/data:/data/cache \
  -v /tank/docker/lancache/logs:/data/logs \
  -d --privileged \
  -p 192.168.xxx.yyz:80:80 \
  -p 192.168.xxx.yyz:444:443 \
  lancachenet/monolithic:latest

woops! yeah, that should be right its host:container with the colons haha. oops.

The effect of this is that the cache wonā€™t survive rebuilding the container, so not super terrible, but not ideal. will fix the howto thanks :smiley:

Spotted this while setting up a lancache instance on a data-capped connection. So, yeah, kinda important :wink:

I am in need of a some kind of NAS my self and I have been looking into FreeNAS vs unraid for a while now. Unfortunately I will have to build a new PC before that. In any case I am here to voice my concerns about using shadowcopy in Windows or in general. It seems to me that half of the exploits out their work by exploiting the shadowcopy especially in Windows. I turned shadowcopy off in Windows in the early 2000ā€™s and never looked back that combined with locking down my browsers and regular maintenance and I have been running the same Windows instillation since 2011 upgraded of course. I also got a 50% boost in drive performance and havenā€™t had a dead drive since (knock on wood and make sure their is airflow over the drive). I remember I forgot my password in Linux class that same year and I was able to retrieve it from the shadowcopy. I have heard that either you can or it is now by default encrypted or something like that but I have had bad luck with encrypting drives and loosing them when I forget passwords and configurations eventually. But that is besides the point. Does any one else share my shadowcopy concerns? Is shadowcopy more secure now? Or is using shadowcopy giving an exploit 50% chance to succeed?

Another nice option I went with a couple of years ago now is doing this on headless linux with a piece of software called webmin to control externally.

Thereā€™s even a nice ZFS plugin for webmin if you donā€™t wanna do it through SSH

1 Like

Hi. I was wondering if iSCSI is working in this combination, Unraid and ZFS I mean. Right now I am running Freenas and everything is an iSCSI target except one SMB share. Also if yes, is the performance the same or at least similar?

If this works I am deleting freenas simply because of docker and vm.

This is one of the things i was wondering. I know iscsi is a kernal process so it would need to be added like zfs was. problem is iā€™ve been unable to find out how to get it added and unraid says that they will not be adding it. Very tempted to drop unraid as my storage box and use it as an application box as itā€™s very user friendly for community apps and virtual machines (though i have vmware esxi 6.7 for that).

1 Like

Hi! Forgive me if I am reviving an old thread. I came across your video for GamersNexus and this thread, and one of the things I am unclear on is how to connect the disk shelf. While watching the video, you guys never actually showed the installation of the HBA and the connection from the head unit to the disk shelf.

Wanting to replicate this setup, I went ahead and purchased an LSI SAS 9200-8e and a NetApp DS4246 disk shelf on ebay. It seems I need SFF-8436 to SFF-8088 cables based on what I have read here and the ebay sellerā€™s item page. Do I need 2 cables (both coming from the HBA into the ā€œsquareā€ and ā€œcircleā€ ports of one IOM6. Or do I need 3 cables (1 from HBA, one from ā€œsquareā€ on IOM6-1 to ā€œcircleā€ on IOM6-2, one from ā€œcircleā€ IOM6-2 to HBA (per NetApp connection guide)? Do I even need the second IOM6?

Thanks!