Your most favored games since being a PC gamer?

1. Halloween Harry
  2. Kings quest 3-7
  3. Doom 2
  4. RotT
  5. Heretic
  6. Redneck Rampage
  7. Dare to Dream. You're going to want to put DOS into the search if you look that up.
  8. Duke Nukem up to 3D.
  9. Dragon Sphere
  10. Warcraft 1 and 2. Never played 3.
  11. Stardew Valley. Mix SNES Harvest Moon, Rune Factory and a little Animal Crossing = Stardew Valley.
  12. AI War Fleet Command, Wish I could have more than 2 AI to fight but so far wishing hasn't gotten me very far.
  13. FTL
  14. Total Annihilation
  15. Killing Floor 1 and 2
  16. L4D2
  17. Quake
  18. Red faction. The first one.
  19. Disgaea.
  20. Castle of the Winds
  21. Fallout 1,2,NV. I like 4 but the game keeps bugging out around the 100 hour mark and it's really damn annoying when my saves 2-5 hours earlier is where the bug happened. Won't take any NPCs with me when playing now as they seem to eventually start a faction war.

Tend to leave out DnD games, there be an asinine amount of them and it all just seems to run together in my head now.

Huge list of DOS games I will never remember the names too.

Still waiting for a PVE survival game I can get into. 7 Days to Die is about as close as I get to that. The unrealistic balance in the games always messes with me. You killed a bear! That's like 16 hours worth of food and almost enough leather to make a boot!

Don't like PVP unless it is over LAN.

1 Like

Insurgency (now probably one of my favourite multiplayer fps games)
Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (mainly for the aircraft and the editor)
The Warhammer 40K Dawn of War series
The Battlefield series
Counter Strike: Source
Doom + Doom 2 + their mods
Vietcong + Purple Haze
Max Payne series
Skyrim (enhanced with mods)
L4D2 (with mods also)

1 Like

Star Wars Galaxies is still my all time favorite game on any platform. That game had everything. Everyone is so excited about Black Desert including so many amazing mechanics, but SWG did all of that stuff back in 2003. It was truly a unique game and experience. The first 2 years (called "pre-cu") were my favorite gaming experience ever. It's no wonder that ~11 years after the fact, there's still a team of folks and strong community focused on emulating it.

The Might and Magic rpg series is also a strong favorite of mine. I'm talking M&M 4-8, not the "Heroes" rts spinoffs. I do love heroes 1-3 though.

Other favorites:
Escape Velocity series
WOW (vanilla)
Arcanum
City of Heroes
Freelancer

1 Like

Really bad, but I MOBA a lot now.

I regular Heroes of the Storm. Not that it's 'exceptional' or anything, I just have fun playing it, and I'm a fan of blizzard universe things.

Additionally, RTS, and other such games. But honestly, everything I play now is on my PC, I hardly bother with my console. I just started 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' and it looks fantastic, and loads pretty well on high settings. Can't beat that, xbone.

Been gaming on PC for 20y now. Some have already been mentioned:

I'd add Warcraft 3 here, really liked it. WoW ruined Warcraft for me :/

Broken Sword 1,2 and 5. The story in 3 was kinda ok, 4 was better but the controls in both were ackwards. 1,2 and 5 returned to the classic point and click
Return to castle Wolfenstein and their F2P enemy territory multiplayer version
C&C: Red alert 1&2, original series up to 3
KKnD 1 & 2, nice RTS
Serious Sam series
Magicka
Commandos series, except Strike Force. If you haven't played it yet, give it a try
Need for Speed Porsche

Probably missing a few, but that is it from the top of my head

Descent!

1 Like

Interstate '76 - Combined racing games with MechWarrior

MechWarrior 2 - I started playing Mechs with a board game conversion on my Amiga

Quake 3 - I made a mod for Q3 that was a little like SecondLife

Need For Speed: Carbon, SHIFT, Hot Pursuit. Carbon for gamplay, SHIFT for straight-up racing and Hot Pursuit for Cops and Speeders.

FlatOut - This racing game is zany fun. Crashing charges ones Turbo. The new game is called Wreckfest.

Wolfenstein - 2000, The New Order & The Old Blood

FarCry 3 - This was one of those times when I spent $250 on a new GPU to play a $50 game

BULLETSTORM - The best game of all time and criminally under-appreciated. The game is Hyper-Ultra-Extra violent and the dialog is crass, juvenile & hilarious. Just the way I like it. I also like that through most of the game, one has an AI bot teammate.
Bulletstorm has 3 unique features:
-1. The Boot - You can kick enemies in Bulletstorm, preferably off a cliff.
-2. The Leash - Grayson has an electric whip that can grab enemies and pull them to you or into lethal objects.
-3. The Skillshot - You are rewarded for being a creative murder machine. Ammo and upgrades are purchased with Skill points.
For example: a normal kill is only worth 10 points, butt shoot someone in the ass = Rear-Entry Bonus +250 pts!

I pirated the game to try it, played it through, bought it and played through 5 more times over the years.

2 Likes

I've been playing PC games for almost 10 years now, I have never played with a modern console (except for the PS2, once or twice I think, and the PS4, when I tried using it) and these are the games I've grown to love over the years on the PC.
-Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood
-Max Payne 2
-CS Franchise (1.6 and GO, but I'm no competitive player)
-CoD MW 1 & 2, and WaW
-Warcraft III (and bits of DotA, but that was way back)
-Fallout 3
-The Witcher, and Witcher 2
-Crysis 1 (modded it and loved it)
-Modded Skyrim
-Mass Effect series
-Half Life 2 and Black Mesa
-Deus Ex HR and Deus Ex 1
-BFBC2
-Gemini Rue
-Another World
-Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
-and lots of others
that I forgot to mention. And these are all played on my 9 yr. old PC.
An Athlon 64 x2 5000+ and GeForce 6100, GeForce 8400GT and GT630.

It's dead now unfortunately.

1 Like

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - simply the best tactical shooter out there... Terrorist Hunt is very fun.

Rune Viking Warlords - The most skill based game I've ever played. It's really under the radar. This game even beats out games like Starcraft in skill. It was weird how the game was so dependent upon movement and timing. There's buttons you can press and techniques that you just learned over time, that didn't affect your character on screen, but would give you the advantage in the battle. Like if you moved in circles in mid air, despite not actually moving, you'd have your character duck his head in the right time. You can also duck in mid air and dodge left / right / forward, and each direction has different slashes and moves with the sword. I spent over a hundred hours in this game in high school. I loved every second of it. I eventually got so good, that only the very best can kill me. I would literally not even try and 4+ guys would come at me, and they would all lose their head in a matter of seconds. My highest killing spree was like 150 in a row.

Warcraft 3 - LOVED custom games like Life of a Peasant and Angel Arena
Starcraft 2
World of Warcraft - I loved some of my friends I met on here... it was a real social connection
Everquest - growing up I was just enjoying the social aspect. It's the dark souls of MMORPG's. Not every class was balanced for everything. If you were a warrior or a melee class, good luck soloing. You needed to be spell caster that can root and DOT.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (best one imo) especially with the RPG mod / matrix mod
Planescape Torment

Garrys Mod - It was seriously bad how addicted I was to this game... RPG mode. Running from police, setting up these artificial scenarios and conflicts with people in a social game was fun. Building my own store and my own house / room and just pretending it was real. It's the closest thing we can get to D & D imo, in a PC Game. The feeling was pretty close. When I was addicted to this game I probably spent over 80 hours in it, in a week. I actually was sleep deprived... can't imagine myself being like this today though, as I am older and don't get into games the way I used to.

Anarchy Online - Very fun playing with my friends on this. I loved how you could twink your character and ultimately make a level 15 with level 50 gear with buffs, since the gear was stat dependent and not level, and the buffs would give you the stats. Then when the buffs ran out you can still keep your gear on. It was deep. It had intrigue that games today don't have.

Elder scrolls V skyrim - simply the best moddable game out there. It's still probably the best fantasy game, if you have the right order of mods, loaded in the right way ( so they work), it can be amazing. It really fulfills a unique experience because of this. No 1 version of elder scrolls is the same.

The game that got me into PC gaming was admittedly Call of Duty MW2. That game is why I bought my first gaming computer, all of my friends played on PC. I was the only one of them to really take to the whole pcgaming thing though., I started to upgrade my rig and play smaller indie games and get into the whole steam ecosystem.

Big shoutout to Mass effect 2. Favorite game of all time. Never felt so emotionally attached to characters before.

Also WoW. So many days spent with this game, grinding up professions, levelling new toons. It was a simple time back then, but I was oh so happy.

I fell into a MMO trap with Everquest on the PC I spent nearly a decade playing that game with friends and not much else.

Single player games I would have to give it to Total Annihilation, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, The Witcher.
There may be more but I have played them for hundreds of hours multiple times.

Amen brother... ever complete Malkavian play through? "WTF I am saying here?"

Names I don't see enough of.

What about:
Eye of the Beholder
Steel Sky (on GOG these days, SCUMM engine)
Doom / Heretic / Hexen (& many more voxel games based on Ken's build engine)
Monkey Island (any in series, SCUMM)
Baldur's Gate / Throne of Baal
Quake
Interstate 76
Diablo I & II
..keep...recalling..mooaaarrrrr...
ERR:BUFFER.OVERFLOW...

Hey can TS start a crowd funding project to buy all the VTM:B IP & just continue dev ourselves? I'm in, I'll fund it...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I second MW2 the PC community for that was awesome. Nothing felt better than having 20+ guys in a room ready to crawl into the next building filled with enemies. It was practically the last CoD game I really played.

1 Like

Age of Empires II

• My first PC game, grandpa bought it for me. Occasionally still play Steams HD version.

Kotor, Sith Lords

• How I found Bioware, and it led me to play Dragon Age.

Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy

• Probably spent Skyrim many hours to modding and spawning random fights in these two Jedi Knight games.

Oblivion

• My first experience for really needing new hardware, and ..well Nexus still has shots from the moment I got what I needed!

Not fan of playing games for sake of nostalgy, heres though modern game development in a nutshell.

..so, sometimes its hard just not to.

Based on the one game i have managed to play on many versions of Windows. Empire Earth Win 10 I have some bugs to sort out still.

downloading free demo of bulletstorm now....thanks

Do you have a list of mods you've used on Skyrim? I'm highly interested in modding my Skyrim.

Heck, I got mom to move away from her Xbox 360 version onto the PC, and she hasn't looked back since, and that's an unmodded Skyrim still!

2 Likes

So some old Pentium 3 era games that introduced me to non educational gaming that I still love.

Diablo
SeaWolf
Xwing
Total Annihilation
Mayday: Conflict Earth
MechWarrior

Quake, tf2, csgo, league of legends (except right now league is bullshit), gran turismo 3, and fable 1