Yeti Blue Mic - Inconsistent behavior between each computer

KVM Model:

1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Single Monitor - Two Computer

USB Interface (5-gigabit or 10-gigbit):

10-gigabit

Problem:

Recently purchased a the DP 1.4, 2 computer KVM switch and my experience so far has been positive with the basics (Keyboard, Video, and Mouse only)! I’ve been slowly adding components to the switch and have run into an issue with my USB mic that I’m hoping someone has seen before…

My Yeti Blue when plugged directly into either of my computers is both a speaker and a mic (audio input and audio output). It interfaces via USB 2.0.

Moving it to the KVM, the behavior is different with each computer.

• Computer 1: HP ‘4K’ Docking station w/ laptop
  • Computer 2: ASRock B650M PG RIPTIDE WIFI based system

When Computer 1 is selected, the Yeti shows up as an audio input and output (as expected) with the mic plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the front of the KVM.

When Computer 1 is selected, if I move the Yeti to a USB 2.0 HID port, it shows up only as a mic (audio input) but not a speaker (audio output).

When Computer 2 is selected, the Yeti doesn’t show up at all (as audio input or output) with the mic plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the front of the KVM.

When Computer 2 is selected, if I move the Yeti to a USB 2.0 HID port, it shows up only as a mic (audio input) but not a speaker (audio output).

I’ve tried every USB port on Computer 2 and there’s no change in behavior no matter what port on the computer I’m using. I’m using " Cable Matters 20Gbps USB C to USB C Monitor Cable 3 ft / 0.9m with 4K 120Hz & 8K 30Hz, 240W Power Delivery" USB cables on both systems.

There’s no driver for the mic that I can find, so it’s not a situation where I can uninstall/reinstall drivers, and the fact that it works properly in the USB 3.0 port with Computer 1 makes me think that’s the proper port for it. I’m just confused as to why it doesn’t show up at all when switching to Computer 2.

I’ve tried to do some power cycles of the KVM in between switching computers, but nothing I can do seems to change the behavior.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue or have some things to try to troubleshoot?

Other Notes:

Using DisplayPort cables from Level1Techs
Using Cable Matters 20Gbps USB C to USB C Monitor Cable 3 ft / 0.9m with 4K 120Hz & 8K 30Hz, 240W Power Delivery

Hi thank you for reaching! out :slight_smile:

If you swap the USB-C cables from PC 1 to PC 2, are the results the same?

What model?

I may know this. That audio output on the Yeti Blue is only meant to a local loopback from the mic itself, it’s meant to act as a studio monitor so a recorder can hear themselves speak/sing into the mic.

Connect a pair of headphones, turn that volume knob up, speak, and listen!

Evening!

I did some testing and it’s looking like a KVM issue of some kind… here’s what I did:

Mic Setup: Yeti Blue (Model 888-000296) plugged into USB 3.0 port at front of KVM

Computer 1 (Cable 1, plugged into Port 1): Working fully (mic and speaker)
Computer 2 (Cable 2, plugged into Port 2): Not working at all

I decided to work off of the computer where I had things fully working. I swapped it so that computer was plugged into Cable 2/Port 2:

Computer 1 (Cable 2, plugged into Port 2): Not working at all

Ok, this narrowed it down to “Cable 2” not working, or KVM Port 2 not working… I did one more test.

Computer 1 (Cable 2, plugged into Port 1): Working fully (mic and speaker)

Computer 1 (Cable 1, plugged into Port 2): Not working at all
Computer 1 (Cable 2, plugged into Port 2): Not working at all

Using either USB cable has the mic working fine in KVM Port 1, but KVM Port 2 doesn’t pass through the mic properly using the USB 3.0 port as expected, no matter which cable I use.

Not sure if there’s any additional troubleshooting/reset process/etc. I can try on the KVM side? But this feels like an issue with the USB going to the second KVM set based on the testing above.

Thanks again for any assistance you can provide!

Hmmm yeah you very well might have USB issues on PC 2. Email: wendell@level1techs(dot)com, let him know, and maybe an RMA would be in order.

Which USB port on PC 2 is it plugged in on, ryzen has a “favorite” port that you might need to use it’s different on all boards

Providing an update here as I was able to get this working :slight_smile:

It turned out to be somehow, my KVM either shipped with, or somehow got set to, ‘USB 3.2 Gen 2 Follow’ as being off/disabled.

Ultimately, I realized that my mic needed to be in a USB 3.0 port to function properly, and that I could not get it to work on the 2nd KVM port no matter what I did. Just to see what happened, I plugged my USB keyboard into the USB 3.0 port, and I was able to see myself typing on the computer on KVM port 1, when I had the computer on KVM port 2 selected!

I emailed Wendell and he told me to make sure that I was able to toggle the ‘USB 3.0 Follow’ mode to ensure it was properly set, since it sounded like that might resolve the issue. More information on that can be found here in the ‘complete hotkey list’ section: [Official] L1Techs KVM FAQ -- Ultimate Guide & Help!

My keyboard (iKBC CD 87 BT) doesn’t support the KVM hotkeys/proper HID specification, so I used another keyboard (actually the virtual keyboard on my PiKVM that I use for my NAS) to trigger the “hotkey leading code + f7” that ended up resolving my issue.

That immediately got things working - my Mic, plugged into the USB 3.0 port followed the KVM port selection perfectly!

This KVM is great - absolutely perfect for switching between my work and gaming computer at the same desk setup. Thanks again Level1Techs team!

1 Like