XFR Extended Frequency Range; Incomplete WIP?

@Ungari
Ya I agree totally. I tried to take some screen shots earlier, but had to head to work...(currently working), however when I get home I will do some more weight tests as is, and see some performance .

By the way about reliable monitors is Hw monitor fairly reliable software? Or is there something better to use?

I like to always have other free sensor reading software to compare with.
NZXT CAM is only a Beta, but I still Iike it.

OK here is a screen shot of hwmonitor the low value on cpu is 1422, and the high value is 3749. It is obviously doing what it has to when it needs it, and it looks like when it doesn't need any boost, it drops real low.

1 Like

The Min Values there though are certainly a reporting issue. Ryzen cannot run with a 1x multiplier. So somewhere it's just reading the reference clock. Other than that it pretty much aligns with my tests. HWInfo is a better tool though as of right now.

HWInfo

https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html

Thanks much better Here is one with hwinfo...

It would be interesting to see the difference between my 1700 and maybe an 1800x on the same board, at default settings. I am curious if there is any difference.

Since you own an 1800X, I would be very interested to see you monitor 8 cores set to 4000Mhz with the Core Boost ON to record any XFR activity on top of your manual OC.
I intend to try a similar test albeit with a 1600X, but if the 1600X was downgraded due to silicon quality, the 1800X would be a better platform for this.

It sits at 4ghz.
For both of them.

Is it true that the 1600s have an All Core Boost and a 2 Core Boost?
If true, I'm concerned that this could limit manual overclocks to the All Core Boost which is lower.

If you overclock all boost states go out the window, it just sits at the speed you manually set it to.

Sorry, I should have explained.
The only reason I can see for limiting the top boost to only two cores is so that chips that fail to make the grade for R7 can be utilized. In other words, all 6 cores can boost to a certain clockspeed, but only some cores can boost to the full 4.0Ghz.
Do you have a Review Sample? If so, I am disregarding benching from reviewers as everyone is getting 1800X results from the 1700 OC, which is preposterous.

the 1700, 1700x, and 1800X are the same cpu minus the frequency... soo if you overclock the 1700 to the same speeds as an 1800X it's the same.

However, you are not guaranteed to hit the same speeds with a 1700 as a 1700x or 1800x.

The Ryzen 5 CPUs get a stable 100mhz or so higher than the ones with more cores, pretty much linearly.
Example:
my 1800X does stable 4ghz 1.4V
my 1600X does stable 4.1 Ghz 1.4V
and my 1500X does stable 4.2 Ghz 1.4V

other than that the CPUs are pretty much self explanatory, pay marginally more for guaranteed speed upgrades.

Right.
So, my point is that since R5 1600X has it's top clock boost limited to only 2 Cores, that this suggests that unless you are lucky, that one or more Cores may be unable to attain 4Ghz, thereby limiting the manual OC .

wut
that's not how it works
that's not how any of this works lol
most of them will hit 4ghz all cores under decent cooling, possibly 4.1-4.3ghz under great cooling.

1500X is weird it's similar but also runs a lot cooler/with less volts but also needs more to go fast so is an odd one lel.

If that is the case, why change from the R7 and have two separate Boost Clocks?
Wait--did you read where I asked about the two different boosts? Does the 1600s have an All Core Boost and a 2 Core Boost? Can you confirm?

one is XFR, one is the boost that's been a thing since the phenom days
the XFR is just a smarter boost that can tell when temps and etc are good and intelligently boost to max speed on one core
it is a tad limited but the idea is there anyway, again is a first gen thing so probably will be extended on whatever-is-next for Ryzen chips.
Also it's Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7, there is no such thing as R5 and R7 CPUs, those are radeon GPUS

What I'm asking you does not include XFR, that is a Third Boost state.
Please read my post S L O W L Y.

that you edited in after i had wrote my post, so ...

No, if you go back far enough, it was my original question that you responded to.
Please confirm the 3 Boost states.

1600X
1 core 4 ghz+ (the 1800X has a boost of 4.1 ghz with XFR, not sure if 1600X is similar on one core)
2 cores 3.8-9
i forget the rest, but it goes down to the base of 3.6 ghz

similar tiering on the 1600 just 3.6->3.0 ghz