Xeon Platinum 8124M build and testing

My psu has wattage readings so I can record what it draws under load later.

Sad to report that HP, in their infinite wisdom, has chosen not to support the 8124M On the DL360 G10 :frowning:

These CPUs will not work on that chassis, sadly.

So, I ended up building two servers around these chips and the asrock motherboard. Other than making sure the VRM’s are cooled if you are doing heavy AVX workloads.

1 Like

I’m late to the party but maybe these could be useul info for someone:

I confirm that Xeon 8124m (QS from Ebay) works with Asrock Rack EPC621D8A.

I am currently using this setup with Unraid. System booted without any issues, CPU perfectly recognized both by mobo and OS too. Right now it’s 2 weeks of continuous operation including heavy CPU load coming from various rendering software, and zero hiccups.

I am willingly to perform tests using my current setup, so feel free to contact me.

Huge thanks to @wendell making me aware of this “off-the-books” model, you made my workstation upgrade possible for such a low price!

Honestly I would love to see more content like this (“heads-up” on used and less publicly known enterprise gear) on the channel.

I’m new here, and sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just wanted to thank everyone who posted in here, I’ve been painstakingly trying to figure out my parts list for my next build, and I already have the CPUs but just couldn’t figure out which motherboard they would go with!

I had put an order in for a SM board from wiredzone and had to hastily request a cancellation (hopefully its approved)

Now I have to source an Asrock (I’m in Canada)

or a gigabyte barebones :wink:

1 Like

This is such an interesing route for a workstation upgrade. Still rocking an x9 board with 2x e5-2680 v2’s.

On the ebay listings they mention the asrock boards but also the Gigabyte C621-WD12. Any thoughts on that? I’m a little hesitant to trust the ebay listing since they also mention the supermicro boards.

It seems a bit more difficult to source the asrock boards in Europe. The Gigabyte is readily available, but also a bit more geared to workstation applications. Better vrm cooling and more usb.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers!
Karel.

1 Like

sounds like a win-win if its got better vm and more usb.

Does anyone care to do a geekbench performance test on these cpu’s? I appears to be hard to find reliable test results. Most platforms have only one or two entries. I’m debating the 8124M cpus or the E5-2690 V4. I’m interested in the single thread results because they don’t seem to be much higher or even lower on the 8124M…

Hi Cogito, can you tell me what type of memory you are using with your board? Is it on the compatibility list? THX!

Karel.

Hey guys can someone try the 8124qs with the evga sr3 dark. Sounds like a perfect pair up.:thinking:

Do you think a Precision 7820 Tower Workstation would work?

thx

Thanks to this post that I avoided the headache with supermicro board. Thumbs up!

My setup with EP2C621D16 works nicely.
I got 1005 and 26496 in SC and MC test for geekbench5.

It is a very good deal for memory bound problem. EPYC gen 1 cannot compete with it and gen 2 is still too expensive.

The whole system is even cheaper than lenovo’s P620 3945WX.

Info that may be helpful for beginner like myself.

Fan.
look at supermicro SNK-P0070APS4. It is quite cheap compared to noctua. It looks exactly the same as 280W SP3 version I had Thus it should be fine for 240W 8124M, even though its TDP listed as 205W.

Case.
very painful searching for one. Look specifically for SSI-EEB or simply EEB. This is not E-ATX board. Due to the weight if the cooler, make sure the screw position fits with the board. There is a good vid from gamer nexus on this issue.

1 Like

I know this is a bit of a necro-bump, but I was wondering if you or anyone else has attempted this. This is exactly what I was considering, and when searching around for it, this thread is one of the only real results.

Hey, im new here.

I am looking to build a home server as a network storage / gameserver and I was thinking to use 1 or 2 of these chips. I saw the motherboards were pretty expensive. but then I found this dell motherboard close to me and not to expensive
think it is out of a dell r540 or r440
I also found a barebone HPz6g4
this HP also isnt to expensive. does anyone know if these processors will work in one of these? or does anyone have a good cheaper alternative maybe even single socket version. thanks for the help in advance ( I am trying to build this as budget friendly as possible.)

Adding to this older thread for anyone interested. I put together system in June of last year using two 8124m chips and have been using it as my home VM / Automation server ever since. Absolutely a great deal all said and done. My only suggestion is to have a very good flow of air going through the system. Two of these chips can produce a LOT of heat. I have top vents with 3x 120mm blowing upwards and 4x 120mm fans pulling into the case. If the CPUs are churning on something it can feel like a heater is on next to me.

What I ended up using:
2x 8124M – eBay from Hong Kong
1x AsRock Rack EP2C622D16-2T – Newegg of all places had one in stock randomly, but was not cheap and I haven’t seen it in stock since
2x Noctua NH-U12S DX-3647 – I chose these because they are very quiet and get the job done
512GB DDR4

Passmark CPU benchmark was 47-48k on a very dirty Windows Server 2019 server install.

Can’t imagine how cheap Intel sold the 28 cores to make so many of these flood the market so cheaply!

Nice build!

I just picked this up on ebay today - Intel Xeon Platinum 8124M SRD1Y. Have been watching this thread since last year. Point being, does anyone have a preferred MB or is it just a point of getting your hands on one that works, as listed in the thread, and making a choice from there.

Use is simply a Daily Driver with a good amount of CPU resource needed.

As an FYI - if you are still looking, ebay $$ are dropping. I picked mine up, used, but sub $250 and from California.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.