Xeon Platinum 8124M build and testing

Hi,

I have also ordered AsRock Rack EP2C621D16-4LP along with 8124M. Processor supplier told that 8124 will work without any issue on this board. It will take 2-3 week for it to get delivered. I’ll update here as well.

Do you know any good DDR4 ram supplier in US or China? 2666Mhz is pretty expensive here in India.

Ok,

I think this board is officially off the list.
I managed to find an archive search for drunkencat- dot-net SupermicroBIOS of all the bios’es back to 1.0. I down graded all the way back to 1.0 stepping through 2.1, 2.0b, 2.0a, and 2.0 then finally 1.0 pulling the bios battery between each run. With one CPU in CPU 1 socket and 1 RDIMM in the A1 position.

No post on any of them.

I don’t know what else I can do other than trying to mod the bios which is outside my skill set.

If anyone would like me to try something else I’m open to suggestions.

Are these qs or non qs chips? Or es?

It shoulddddd work with that board? I can try them in my board if you want?

The power thing just means that they run within the board power envelope. Isn’t a huge deal. Mine seem to be 3 5 ghz all core with unlocked power otherwise the clocks bounce around a bit

Listing says QS in the listing . CPU has 8124M on it and S-Spec SRD1Y CPU-World has them listed as non-es/qs for what that is worth.

I’ll have the AsRock board tomorrow at some point and will post up here.

Kind of a bummer, my whole home lab is on supermicro boards makes managing them super easy.

I may pick up a non QS or ES LGA3647 for validation, I haven’t decided yet, this board was new in box so I doubt it is the board.

I am using a Corsair RM850i to power it.

I was toying with picking up CPU’s that folks on STH have confirmed to work with this board maybe lower frequency but more cores for a higher density box mainly for automated QA testing right now I’m spread across two boxes to spin up 40 windows 10 VM’s.

Well,

the EP2C621D16-4LP works like a champ sees all my 192GB of Micron RDIMM’s CPU-Z reports them properly got a single core score of 403.7 and a multi-processor score of 17850

Compared to my dual E5-2697-V2 of 310 single core 8945 all core

My Ryzen 3700x desktop does a 461 single core and 5036 all core

So,
now what do I do with the SuperMicro board…

Alright,

I’ve got windows 10 1904(?) running on it. Prime95 caps out the wattage at 249ish. all CPU load with hyper-threading speed is 2.85~GHz. One CPU is running about 8 degrees C hotter than the other.

I’m gonna let it cook for a while and maybe reapply thermal paste on the hotter one and see if that makes a difference before mounting it in it’s final home.

1 Like

Ok,

I’ve had several crashes. Generally under 30 minutes of full load. All of them have VCORE dropping down to .08 to .05 six times on CPU1 and twice on CPU2.

BMC doesn’t crash so I have the logs on the crash in the BMC.
Only happens when running Prime95 under short MAXIMUM cpu load.

I don’t have another power supply that I trust so I guess I’m ordering a new one.

Well, I disabled AVX-512 workload in prime95 and things have been ticking along for over an hour and is pretty much floating around 3.25Ghz all core.
Temps are about 3c lower, also cpu watts stays under the max of 240w and doesn’t peak above that unlike previous runs where I would see peaks at 250w.
reapplying thermal paste to cpu1 lowered temps 3c on that one too.
so, cpu1 is around 5c within cpu2 instead of 8 to 9c.

I’ll keep punching it and see what happens.

OK!

@wendell told me to get some air on the VRM’s and it worked like a charm.
10+ hours no crashing with AVX-512 enabled.

1 Like

If you can manage great cpu and vrm cooling 3.4ghz ish all core should be long term stable on these CPUs. Incredible clocks for 3647tbh

Under 70c is ideal for these xeons iirc

2 Likes

I don’t know how I’d get them below 70c on air cooling that is available. This setup is going into a 4U case and I’ll stack with fans.

How that I know this config works I’m going to do a 3u build as well.

If there is anything you would like to see run on it let me know.

I still got the supermicro board kicking around and I hate having a board without CPU’s to go with it.
If I have CPU’s then I need to get some memory.
If I have a fully populated board I should go ahead and put it into a case.
If I have a case I should just go ahead and add 24 4GB drives.
With all that spinning rust I’ll need some NVMe cache for it.

Yeah, that should do it.

1 Like

if everythings stable, it’s fine. Its just you might see slightly higher boosts if thermal and power conditions permit. will depend on workload too. not so much on the boosts w/avx512

1 Like

I got the CPUs
Ordered the R191-NA0
Ordered Samsung PC4-21300 2666MHz Registered
If it boots I will run it in for a week to see how reliable it is.
Will post back here with the results.

Little late to the party but I also just bought a 8124m CPU. I struggled in picking a motherboard because of the 205 tdp rated limit. I almost got the Asus WS C621E SAGE with plans on a bios mod to allow for the qs cpus but I wasn’t fully convinced.

I settled for getting an Asrock ep2c612 ws. I saw screenshots of the 8124m running on it so I went for it. Parts are still on the way but I will update if they are compatible or not.

This CPU seems like a really good deal for server old stock but it was a pain to find info online on what boards work so hopefully I can help add to the list of compatible ones for everyone else.

I would like to know how yours have been running and if you have suggestions on getting ram. Server ram is a little harder to figure out. Supposedly single rank ram should he faster but I see dual rank ram do better on Benchmarks. I would like to select what ever is the fastest for general work and gaming so I think getting unbuffered ecc would be best. I think registered ecc is the slowest of the styles so it’s the only one I will avoid but any input would be appreciated. I am not worried about losing work in progress and normal PC blue screens are not an issue.

Will this work with a Dell PowerEdge 740 XD?

Guess not.

I think the issue is it’s an off roadmap CPU that was never given to anyone just Amazon servers so boards that might be able to run it arent setup to, like they may not recognize it.

Can anyone with the Gigabyte 1U server variants do some power draw testing ? I am thinking about setting up a few of these with 128-256GB of ram in a single CPU configuration, with possibly extending that to a second CPU in the future.

I would love to know what the kWh draw is on at idle / 5-8 cpu load / peak.

Well I got it up and running with the asrock board ep2c621d12 ws and a single 8124m cpu. Noctua fan NH D9 DX is great with this 3647 socket

Ram has been finicky to recognize both of my udimm sticks. Both worked on their own but wouldn’t together. I know that’s a common thing, even among getting same model number ram (different chips and all), but these were bought at the same time and they dont play nice.

I am about to drop some moneybon two 8124m xeon chips and get the EP2C621D12 so i can add some GPUS i have laying around and mellanox 100Gb cards to create a nice Hyper-v server to play with and learn from. Trying to do failover clustering testing.

@Precision18FL how did the EP2C621D12 asrock work out

@Wes_Brown how did you fair with the PSU did you have better stability using a bigger PSU (you were using an 850w psu if i am not mistaken, what are you using now?)

So it just worked off the bat with the CPU and I liked that. Asrock is from Amazon and Amazon ordered these CPU’s custom so maybe that’s why.

It seems fast except I have ram issues. I’ll be honest it’s been a while since I built a PC. Last one was a dual 370 socket p3 which had it’s own issues as well lol. But I have a hard time getting my all my ram to run well at 2666 mhz. It either doesnt recognize the ram (maybe slot issues) or when it does it runs sluggish. I need to find better ram benchmark tests but I really cant seem to get big bandwidth gains when I go from 1 channel to dual to quad channel memory. I will post some benchmarks later but I was hoping to see more of an improvement. I get the best results when I run it at 2133 mhz for what ever reason.