Xbone Scorpio actually seems impressive

Even with $500, I could work with that quite easily. Time to flex my atrophied budget-hunting muscles from the days of old.

1 Like

neat! i'm not going to buy one... but neat!

2 Likes

Easy, get a Dell XPS 8300, i7 sandy bridge off of Craigslist for 250 bucks and toss an RX 480 in it.
Done.
(Except, maybe go Nvidia if Dell prebuilts don't play well with AMD cards.)

And with the XPS 8300, you get the added benefit of upgradeability because it fits MATX boards and standard ATX power supplies.

That's certainly one way to do it.

I'd argue that using used parts against new a new product would be eliminating the sport of the concept.

@emosun I probably won't buy one either since I have an xbone already. I don't see the benefit of increased resolution in games I'm already adequately associated with the appearance of. I.e. Halo 5 I don't think I'd get anything useful out of and that's pretty much the only xbone game I play besides Destiny on occasion. That and since they're meshing PC with Xbone I see less an incentive to buy one.

Right, but if one could build a similarly spec'd computer system for cheaper, you still would not have better performance due to the console being programmed for the exact hardware its running on.

As the title suggests, I guess they are impressive for what they are.

Still not interested though.

disappointing over the cpu, was hoping for zen

I may end up buying one though, all comes down to price really

Why build to a similar spec as the Scorpio for cheaper, when you can get better specs for the same price?
I'm not arguing against the "it just works" nature of consoles. I know that consoles are often better optimized than PC, due to the fact that it's easy to cater to the majority, especially since they are all running extremely similar hardware. That's something the PC doesn't always have going for it.

I was just pointing out that the Scorpio probably won't be winning the price to performance competition. At least, not against used pc hardware.

New PC architecture in a console? Lol, nah. They would rather work with something that's already been established as stable.

In other words, if it isn't broken, they don't want to replace it. Just improve on the existing hardware.

1 Like

@behindthetimesgamer

They probably kept the same CPU for backwards compatibility purposes.

1 Like

The Jaguar is using a very similar prediction technology the Ryzen using. Plus, there's very little latency between the GPU and the CPU given that they're in the same die, so the performance is there.

While these may provide improvements in some instances, I don't think it will be a game changer. if the decreased latency from the CPU to the GPU gave a noteworthy improvement in performance, it would have been talked about a lot more in the past since the original versions of the consoles were APUs as well. Given that the Jaguar APU used in the consoles seems to be essentially two athlon 5350s bolted together and overclocked, I expect marginal performance improvements at best from the CPU in the Scorpio. Whether or not the CPU matters as much in consoles is another matter, but on the PC side, how much CPU horsepower you have can matter quite a bit in how well a given game will run, even on good ports.

I can't remember the last time an RX 480 ran a game at 60fps in 4k with the graphics fidelity of Forza, and this is from an Xbox One ported to Scorpio with absolutely no optimization.

3 Likes

car games probably wouldn't even exist or at least exist in a much more limited capacity if it was not for the fact that they about the easiest genre to make look good on limited hardware. Almost every time there is a new console, there is a high end racing game to show what the console is capable of, that 99% of games will never look as good as.

4 Likes

Give me an example of a racing game running 60fps at 4k w/ a RX480 on PC with all it's settings turned up, and I'll probably shut up.

2 Likes

show me a car game AMD developed themelves to show off the 480

2 Likes
1 Like

Or just wait until Project Scorpio is released alongside Forza 7, then do benchmarks on both Scorpio and PC. (Yes, I know it won't be optimized for PC.)

Until Scorpio and Forza 7 is released to the public, nothing has been proven.

Nothing is optimized for PC these days.....brb going to cry in corner.

1 Like