Xbone Scorpio actually seems impressive

@Yockanookany

1 Like

That's very impressive. And running with little to no optimisation on a prototype machine.

I don't understand why even the need for EQAA at 2x, pixel density at 4k is is ridiculous, plus, most of the mass consumer will still game on 1080p so that 4k resolution is downsampled to 1080p for an even more crisper image. They could turn any AA for more performance.

I've run some games at max AA on a 23.8" 4K display. I do notice a difference between all and none, but it's nowhere near as noticeable as using AA at 1080p.

Yeah, but this is console, so the target is the living room experience. From a couch can you really tell the difference? Even the PS4 Pro's tile based 4k upsampling looks great from the couch and indistinguishable from native 4k.

1 Like

With the PS4/Xbone generation consoles I pretty much lost interest. Very few exclusive titles to look for, generic low end hardware and the appeal of a console (you buy a game, you put a game in a thing, you play a game) is gone forever.

Todays consoles are just shitty PCs.

3 Likes

And consoles got that lame pay to play.

2 Likes

Console gameplay doesn't even make sense online. One couch to rule them all or death!

I haven't actually had much an issue paying my yearly fee for Xbox live until this year. I just don't log on much except to play Halo.

this is not true.
The games for xbox (nowadays) use standard x86 instructions, any x86 CPU would be capable of running these without emulation.

There was no reason to have the same CPU as the previous generation other than for cost savings.

Developers are already mentioning that making games to work on two quite different consoles by MS is going to be a pain and so there is talk that this Xbox Scorpio may actually end up being a totally new console. Can you imagine that? I find it hard to believe Microsoft would do this leaving Xbox One owners with little to play other than backwards compatible games and whatever has been released by the time Xbox Scorpio comes out but strange things do happen in this world. LOL! Nintendo being the one that does the strangest things of all in the console wars.

Kinda running off what @DeViLzzz just wrote, it's not so much the backwards compatibility thing since you're essentially correct, but intentionally hamstringing themselves so as to keep the vanilla Xbone relevant since this is a mid gen refresh and not a new console generation.

agreed.

'refresh' is much better fitting title.

Right. That's more or less what I was getting at by backwards compatibility though. Not necessarily hardware or emulation wise, but just performance wise.

@DeViLzzz I don't see why that would be a thing since they could essentially just make the Scorpio run at a modified "medium" PC settings and a modified "low" setting on vanilla Xbone.

@DeViLzzz please read my comment here.

Devs are not complaining because it it will be difficult, they are complaining because to release a game on xbox they will have to have it run on two systems again. But this is essentially easy because they use a standard universally understood instruction set instead of a hardware optimized one.

The consoles themselves are not very different, one just has slightly better hardware.

You may say this is easy but they don't want to be doing it and thus it was also said in what I saw that they may not make much use of what the Xbox Scorpio will offer and so there will be next to no point in upgrading/getting the console.

I haven't seen much of a complaint about the PS4 Pro. Same concept, just larger gap. Dynamic resolution could negate all of these things as well.

If the Scorpio is $500 or under I'll probably buy it.
Also looking at a Switch when the new Mario game comes out.
I have a beefy computer, but that's because I use it for virtual machines, compiling source code, and the occasional PC game. I actually have quite a large Steam Library from Humble Bundle sales, but I don't like PC gaming very much, when I want to play a game I don't want to have to worry about having up-to-date drivers, or if this game supports my 21:9 screen, or Windows prompting me to update. I just want to sit down and play.

Agreed. No one wants to do the same thing twice.

can't make this blanket assumption. For these systems (game consoles), they will design the games to work at the current limit of the hardware. Ofc not all 'types' of games will apply. 2D vs 3D vs Open world, etc. So really depends on a case-by-case basis.

Not true. There are always people who 'want' (religiously) the latest and greatest. Just look at all the people who get the latest iPhone.

@Dynamic_Gravity when you talk about making an assumption I didn't do it. It was in whatever I saw. Also about there being no point in upgrading/getting the console you know what I meant and it is true that there would be no REAL point in getting the Scorpio.