X399 Threadripper Motherboard vrm topic

This topic is ment to discuss all about X399 motherboards,
and their vrm designs.

Edit: Users also feel free to share your user experiances on X399 boards with us.
Things like pci-e passtrough and iommu groups, features, UEFI´s, overclocking experiances etc etc.

4 Likes

Asrock.

-Asrock X399 Taichi:
-Asrock X399M Taichi:
-Asrock X399 Professional gaming

Main cpu Vcore vrm.

• pwm: IR35201 in 8+0 phase mode, so 8 true phases.
  • powerstages: IR3555 60A fully intergrated powerstages.
  • Inductors: 60A.
  • output caps: Tantalum´s.

Soc vrm:

• pwm: a second IR35201 pwm is providing 3 phases for controling the SOC vrm.
  • powerstagesa: IR3555 again.

Memory vrm:

• pwm: 2x uP1647P pwm’s providing 2 phases for each set of 4 dimm slots.
  • mosfets: Sinopower SM7341EHKP dual-N Mosfets.

So thats why Asrock is marketing it as an 11 phase board.
Because there are two IR35201 pwm´s on it.

All the 3 Asrock boards listed share the same vrm.

Aorus Gigabyte:

-Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7.
-Gigabyte X399 Designare.

Main Cpu Vcore vrm.

• pwm: IR35201 8+0 phase mode.
  • powerstages: IR3556 50A.
  • Inductors: 76A Cooper bussmann.
  • output caps: Tantalum’s poscaps.

SOC vrm:

• pwm: 2 phases controlled by a second IR35201 pwm.
  • powerstages: IR3556.

Memory vrm:

• pwm´s 2x IR3570 in 2+1 phase mode.
    providing 2 phases for each set of 4 dimm slots.
    And the +1 rail is used to controll DDR4 VPP rail.
  • powerstages: IR3553. 40A

Msi X399 meg is looking swanky. Idk if the full leak on it is out but man it’s nuts. See also my computex photos

1 Like

Yeah that board looks pretty beefy yeah.
I believe something like 19 phase (16+3 phase design) or so?
IR35201 straight 8 phases doubled to 16 with IR3599´s,
and a Second IR35201 or IR35204 providing 3 phases for Soc.
Still need to figure out which powerstages they used this time arround.
But if they used some decent powerstages (which they most likelly did).
Then its an awesome vrm.

1 Like

Msi

-Msi X399 Gaming pro carbon vrm spec’s.

Main Vcore vrm:

• pwm: IR35201 providing 5 phases that are being doubled to 10 using IR3599 phase doublers.
  • powerstages: IR3555 which are rated for 60A at 125°C
  • inductors: unknown but my guess their rating are arroung 60A / 65A ish.
  • caps: Tantalum’s.

Soc vrm:

• pwm: IR35204 providing 3 phases for the soc vrm.
  • powerstages: IR3555´s again.

Memory vrm:

• pwm: 2x Primarion PV4210 (IR) digital pwm, providing 2 phases each for each set of 4 dimm slots.
  • powerstages: Texas Intstruments CSD87350Q Nexfets rated upto 40A at 125°C.

Well done Msi this is a pretty decent vrm.

-Msi X399 MEG.

Main Vcore vrm.

• pwm: IR35201 running in 8+0 phase mode.
    8 Phases being doubled to 16 phases using IR3599 doublers.
  • powerstages: Infineon TDA27472 which are rated for 70A.
  • inductors: Unknown to me, will add as soon as i know the ratings on them.
  • caps: Tantalums.

Soc vrm:

• pwm: IR35204 providing 3 phases for the soc vrm.
  • powerstages: Infineon TDA27472 70A´s again.

Memory vrm x2:

• pwm: 2x Primarion PV4210 (IR) digital pwm, providing 2 phases each for each set of 4 dimm slots.
  • powerstages: Texas Intstruments CSD87350Q Nexfets rated upto 40A at 125°C.

The Msi X399 MEG pretty much has the best vrm that i have seen on X399 board till now.
Its massive vrm.

1 Like

Asus:

Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme vrm:

Main vcore vrm:

• pwm: ASP1405, which is “most likelly” a rebranded IR35201,
    providing 8 true phases for the main vcore vrm.
  • powerstages: IR3555M which are rated upto 60A.
  • Chokes / inductors: Microfine alloy chokes 60A.
  • caps: Tantalum poscaps and 10K caps.

Soc vrm:

• pwm: ASP1405 providing 3 phases for the soc vrm.
  • powerstages: Texas Instruments CSD97374Q4M which are rated upto 25A.

Memory vrm:

• pwm: 2x ASP1103 providing 2 phases each for each set of 4 dimm slots.
  • mosfets: Each phase gets a single High-side and single low-side fet.
    but i dont know which those are.
1 Like

MEG has no 10GbE and GB Xtreme has 10 phase (10 true or 5 doubled??) but 50A IR… not 60A.

In practice it should be enough and their cooling is significantly better on paper than the Zenith, but I would have liked to see MSI put their extra BOM into an Aquantia chip rather than the 4xNVME add-in card.

4.0GHz “all core” (x32) looks to require 1.35v? or higher which doesn’t leave a lot of room with 10x50A on the GB Xtreme and the Zenith is a hot mess (literally).

5 phases doubled of course.
There are no pwm´s used on motherboards today that can do more then 8 true phases.

There has been a true 10 phase pwm used on certain x58 boards in the past,
the Voltera VT1165 / VT1185, pwm.
But that pwm cannot be used on modern motherboards today, because its not VRD12 certified.

Yeah, I eventually got to the bottom of that as well. Curiosity got the better of me, so the MEG Creation is on the way for some play-time.

I wasn’t the only one who pointed out the stupidity of trading an on-board Aquantia for the 4xNvme AIB. That just makes zero sense if you are targeting an HEDT work-station market at this point. All of your competitors are putting 10G on-board.

Per Anand the MEG scored poorly on DPC (system/driver latency), but to be honest, at this point, the 2990WX appears to be a chip that you want to avoid running under windows for now. It looks like Windows is really hurting this chip, but I’ll know next week whether that gamble is true.

Well kinda depends really, a 10Gbe nic can be added as an addin card of course.
Since you basically have more then enough pci-e lanes to saturate.
But i kinda agree on a top end board like the MEG, 10Gbe should have been available onboard.
Also dpc latencies can often be fixed with driver updates.
However its kinda annoying to deal with.

The 2990WX also suffers from the fact that only two of the four ccx units have direct memory acces.
So yeah that will allways going to be some kind of a bottleneck.

And yeah as far as Gigabyte is concerned they often use IR3556 50A powerstages on their topend boards.

This has been my assumption since the announcement of 4 dies (necessarily on TR4 gimping 2 dies with no physical memory access)… Looking at windows benchmarks around the 'net I had decided that it was as bad or worse than I had feared with the 7980xe (and my 2x18 core 2696v3 system) not just performing better, but better by leaps and bounds.

What changed my mind was the linux benchmarks seem to be showing MUCH better scaling to all 32 cores for applications well beyond just rendering.

One of the things I’m thinking of trying is setting up an 8-core windows gaming (GPU pass-through) VM and pinning it to the “far” dies and see just how bad it really is (or how much is windows terrible scheduling). Of course, I am going to compare my other engineering apps that scale reasonably well to 16-18 cores. Should have parts by next weekend…

1 Like

2990WX tested on various motherboards

2 Likes

So after having test this the gb Xtreme is awesome. The default fan curve doesn’t even kick in till the vrms are past 110 and it was able to sustain the 2990wx with an extreme overclock for hours on end.

The [email protected] was fine.

The biggest thing holding the Xtreme back is that it needs dynamic voltage offset. only a few workloads need the volts. The retail 2990wx was stable @ 4.0 on all 32 cores at 1.2750 for most real workloads and a lot of synthetic workloads … 1.3250 for almost every case covered and 1.35 for a few edge cases.

2933 was most stable tho. 3200 was really pushing it on the 2990 … too far imho

2 Likes

My experiences with the Aorus extreme have been somewhat different fwiw. It’s been very solid for me and great temps.

I did disable the current safety (two settings gs for that) and I adjusted the vrm fan profile since it doesn’t even kick on till like 110

2 Likes

Yeah kinda depending on how he exally did his said tests.
And what kind of settings he used for the said overclocks on the different boards.
I kinda have to place some question marks with some of that video´s outcomes aswell.

The Aorus Extreme performing that bad in his tests,
makes me think that he might have messed something up regarding the OC settings.

So I have discovered the default vrm fan profile is supposed to kick in sooner but doesn’t for whatever reason. But if you fiddle with it then save it does apply. It’d probably breathe better without the shroud. But it’s been solid on prolonged indigo tests

1 Like

FYI: EK has monoblocks (coverage for both the CPU and the VRM) available for several popular X399 MBs. Example:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-ga-x399-gaming-rgb-monoblock-nickel

Yeah all those blingy shrouds are mainlly for looks,
i would rather remove them.

According to the fan profile, if you mean the fan curve you set in the bios,
then yeah its one of those tiny little things that Gigabyte still needs to work on regarding their bios.