X370 1700X posting issue

Hi all. Sadly my first post here is one asking for technical help rather than something interesting.

What has happened:

Finished building the system. Press the power on button. All fans power on and tue go faster lights are also on. None of the EZ debug lights turn on except for the CPU one briefly before turning off again. Video showing the issue:

Monitor gets a signal but it remains blank/black. I’ve left it in this state for minutes - ten minutes.

Specifications:
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X370 motherboard G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (2*8GB)
R7 1700X cpu
Corsair 650W PSU
Gigabyte Windforce GTX770 (old).
NZXT h440 case
WD 1TB drive.

Not sure what else to try at this point. My guess is the mobo is a bit dodgy :frowning:

Have already tried: Cycling ram and only using one stick. Resetting CMOS. Reseating cpu.

Sanity checks: Power cables are connected correctly. HDMI cable connected to GPU not motherboard.

Potential issues: no idea at this point.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys. I think Wendell has tried this mobo.

Edits:
This seemed pertinent. Tried reseating the cpu but it hasn’t affected things.

Assume you’ve tested the single stick in different slots?
PC Speaker isn’t providing any beeps?
Something to try: remove the reset connector from the mobo.

Any bios updates/rollback available? I would try both

I cant even boot on my bios rom1, it just flashes red and even biostar doesn’t know what i should do and suggest rma. So i switched to older bios on rom2. Got a lot worse motherboard though. X370GT5. Yet everything works fine on rom2.

There are still some problems with X370 motherboards at the bios level. The motherboard seems to work fine from what could be seen

Yeah cycled the ram through different slot besides the first slot (not enough space to put it there because of the cooler… Might be able to put it there if i remove it again).

No speaker sadly.

Not sure what a reset connector is. I’ll look into it.

Not sure how to do that since I can’t get into the bios

I would write to msi support for their exact instructions. Not sure if other vendors use the exact same key’s for registering the usb stick when system shows no post.

It should still possible to flash bios, without a display (according to biostar) which use this method:

1. Please download the BIOS in USB flash (pen)
  2. Re-name the BIOS name : “AMIBOOT.ROM
    3.Plug the USB and boot the device countinuously press button " Ctrl + Home” .
    If success , it will show this post.

Of course try do this with a bios.rom downloaded from msi to your exact motherboard

There’s a 2-pin reset cable that connects the reset button on your case to the motherboard. Is it currently plugged in?

Gave your suggestion a shot, no cigar

Gonna try this when i can. Thanks

Fixing this should be step one in my mind.

Got some ordered for tomorrow. Along with a replacement motherboard. Just want to rule things out.

I was also wondering if anyone with this motherboard could comment on how the boot process works out for them? Do any debug LEDs turn on at all for any duration?

When mine boots up, it cycles through the lights somewhat rapidly and will turn off eventually if there is no problem. If there is a problem (usually after I OC my RAM), it will leave that specific light on for a while before it tries to reboot.

Yes, I have the MSI X370 GPC…

That’s interesting…
Is it at all similar to how mine looks in the video?

Right now I’m wondering if it’s worth creating a new flash disk with windows 10 and gpu drivers slipstreamed onto it because it might just not be able to display due to no drivers for the gpu.

Thanks for the post

I would suggest to unplug the system from the wall,
and take out the bios battery on the motherboard for a few minutes.
Then put the battery back in, and see if it wants to boot then.

Tried that earlier but it didn’t do anything. Thanks

Is there a way that you could rule out your old gpu?
Because that would be my first suspect.

Tried my friend’s working GPU which resulted in the same issues

Okay then my guess that it might be a motherboard problem.
Allready contacted Msi for an rma?

1 Like

Yeah. Gonna try using the speaker for diagnosing before sending it off.