WRX90e won’t boot with 6 GPUs

To be honest, I haven’t run it at full load yet. The AI stuff I’ve done on it so far doesn’t stress the GPUs all the way, and I’ve been spending so much time reinstalling windows and trying to figure out other build-related gotchas (like SSD write speed issues with multiple monitors hooked up, see my other thread, also mostly resolved now) that I just haven’t had time to put it fully to use. Also, the multi-gpu benchmarks I was running in cinebench happen so fast that the GPUs barely spin all the way up before the test is over.

Heat will be no problem for the computer with the giant radiator and 18 fans on it, but yes, office will be a little bit warmer (it’s a big office).

Just doing the simple math on the power:

• CPU on PBO can pull about 700-800 watts
  • all 6 GPUs will pull 2100 watts at their rated power limits (4x300 + 2x450)
  • memory, SSDs, 21 fans, 2 water pumps take up a little bit too.

So just with the CPU and GPUs I’m pushing 2900 watts, which is awfully close to the max of two 1600W PSUs. The third PSU gives me some room. I would have done two PSUs if some of the PSUs announced at CES this year were released already (There was one PSU that had 4 12VHPWR outputs for example).

When I get things going at full load doing some AI training or something, I’ll report back on max power draw.

3 Likes