Wondering about the new macbook air

Hi,Im wondering about buying new macbook air

the new macbook air has a 8th i5 processor,but only contains 2 cores.and the TDP is just 5watt??

I ll do some job about photoshop(big files).is the new macbook air suitable?

pretty sure i5’s are 2 cores only for mobile (WRONG SEE Later post)

so i need to buy macbook pro(i5 4cores)?

there are 2-6 core i5s in the mobile line, guessing due to thermal issues they went with 2 core version.
What is your use case ?

How crazy is your Photoshop work, large files but how complex? Also what are you currently using?

TLDR
Most actions in Photoshop are either single threaded or lightly threaded. This means that you will get the exact same performance whether your system has two CPU cores or twenty CPU cores. For these actions, a CPU with a high operating frequency is key.
Multi-threaded actions hit a point of diminishing returns after around 6 CPU cores, and most completely stop improving after 8 CPU cores. This includes effects like color mode conversion, many blurs, hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, and shadow/highlight. The best multi-threaded effect (converting to Lab Color mode) had a decent multi-threading efficiency of about 94%, but most of these effects had an efficiency closer to 80% which isn’t so great.

So probably ok with the air, dont need anything crazy core wise.

1 Like

PS AI AE… some picture for presswork maybe 50cmx50cm?.Im using windows PC now

500MB ~5GB

The Air will be underpowered for your use case.

is there any test report about new macbook air?

the price is …$1200… close to macbook pro…

I mean PS doesnt seem to do much with more cores, doesnt seem like it would be that underpowered, but soldered ram is a big no no for me.

Optimization in Adobe applications is terrible, and the air isn’t intended for serious media creation anyway. The base frequency of the processor is 1.6ghz. That’s not the ballpark you want to be in.

I use PS all day every day. I would not recommend using the air for any serious work. You could do some web stuff on it and probably raw adjustments in light room, but any compositing with smart objects or using complex brushes at print resolutions is going to eat it alive.

OP also mentioned AE which is a bigger deal breaker than PS.

Whats AE? guessing not photoshop (after effects guessing)

1 Like

Yeah, after effects.

Thats woudl wreck that cpu, but Photoshop, i feel like it woudlnt be to bad

I like how apple is like “1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, with 4MB L3 cache”
so when they dont update if for another 4 years + you wont notice your like 4 cpu generations back paying current gen pricing

1 Like

It really does depend on the type of work, but if you spec the air to something that could handle some photoshop work, you’re at $1800.

I think you’d be better served getting the comparable Kaby Lake mbp for the same price.

Isnt there some flaw with the pros with the touchbar ? (you have to get touchbar to get 4 core option apparently)
"
13-inch model

2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, with 64MB of eDRAM

Configurable to 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz, with 64MB of eDRAM
"

Not the Touch Bar one.

still limited to 2 cores with same boost

And 15 inch is only touchbar
$1,799.00 starting price for 13" with 4 core

It’s not ideal but I’m saying that it’s a better option than the air.

Ideally, you get an 8th gen i7 mbp or get a comparable PC.