Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

lmao i just did the “metal gear scene” in afghan to see how it would handle in there online is weird but working not bugs so far plus your windows save is still there too!

1 Like

dragonball fighter z doesn’t work :scream: same for elite: dangerous.

@anon97550313 rebel galaxy works including custom music option

2 Likes

Star wars-Shadows of the empire (n64 game ported to steam) working

2 Likes

I switched to Manjaro to see how that did. At least it doesn’t crash on launch. Now, it just shows a unhandled exception while trying to launch XML. I have the double listings on all the civIV games except Colonization. It did the same in Wine

Putting this here incase anybody wants to experiment with non steam games and proton

Make a copy of the default prefix somewhere ( ~/.proton in this case )

cp -r /home/dje4321/.steam/root/steamapps/common/Proton\ 3.7/dist/share/default_pfx ~/.proton

This prefix is where all of your specific changes to proton should be made for stuff like winetricks, etc. This will preserve the game specific prefixs or generic wine prefixs.

STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/home/dje4321/.proton/ /home/dje4321/.steam/root/steamapps/common/Proton\ 3.7/proton waitforexitandrun ./game.exe

STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH needs to be a absolute path to whereever you copied the prefix too.

replace ./game.exe with the path to your executable and it should launch it like normal. Some games might fail any steam specific DRM checks since it cant connect back to steam properly.

2 Likes

in case anyone was looking for it, here’s proton’s source, and if you’re running ubuntu 18.04, here’s the provided quickstart guide

1 Like

Just wanted to point out that you have Wolfenstein: The New Order listed twice. Maybe you mean The Old Blood?

1 Like

drakensang 2 the river of time works for the most part. encountered odd crash during game play have not replicated it as of yet. game loads has sound no visual oddity’s that i could find. saving and loading work. first few areas of game have no issues later parts might.
( will re play area where crash happened to replicate later its late/ early need sleep. )

Danger zone -working
cod mw2 -NOT working crashed on start up (did not test multi player)

Im pretty impressed with the beta. Under Fedora with AND AMD card I have a new game that plays that failed under lutris and playonlinux.

Considering its beta and just released. I hope it does well. A few other games are running with huge 1 thread pegging that slow them to like boot to menu screens are 6-10mins.

My net being as slow as it is. It will be awhile before I check other games.

2 Likes

the games that seem to fail have huge drm im currently testing asscreed games atm seeing where those go image we’ll see soon

games that require uplay i know can confirm do not work at all fails to install microsoft vc 2010 and then fails to find uplay “reinstall ac4black flag” error code i do not know how to fix this one

Is there a away to get a game that “supports” linux to run with proton?

The game I’m talking about is squad. It has linux “support”. Its not marked on the store page, but it will install on linux. But really it just creates the squad directory and its completely empty.

1 Like

Ive asked this on the steam forums as well. No answer.

Divinity Original Sin developers do not support AMD cards so the linux native game has not worked for years.

I hope there is a option to try games via wine.

1 Like

@Marten Try this for native amdgpu support on Divinity Original Sin:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/373420/discussions/0/353915309344847166
Worked for me, though I haven’t played it extensively. More interested in DOS2 at the moment.

1 Like

Another success. I got Skyrim (the original) working. I originally got an error about some old mods I had from Steam Workshop (apparently that doesn’t work) and a message that the game couldn’t find a sound device. I fixed that by running ‘winetricks xact’ with the Proton directory specified as the WINEPREFIX. Now to get mods working…

I’m going to try downloading Skyrim SE overnight and give it a spin tomorrow.

I’m probably the only person who cares, but i tested Rocksmith 2014, without luck.
It just shows a generic error (the game, not steam or linux). So, might be Uplay, might be it requires the specific USB Hardware (Real-Tone Cable) or whatever. Not sure really. Bummer. That’s the last thing keeping me on Windows (only for that, everything else is done on Linux already).

The Fact is, it’s old and niche enough so probably no one cares and chances of it getting any fixes or assistance is 0. Oh well…

I’ll have more time later to test more games. But i’d also like to now wether Linux titles with native Support can be installed that way. Borderlands 2 Performance under Linux has been abysmal for me. Would really like to try it that way.

2 Likes

Quantum Conundrum runs on Unreal Engine 3, launching with -force-opengl prevented the game from launching for me.

Worth a try, though.

E: unless I need to put that somewhere other than the launch options in Steam?

uplay is not working with steam play atm