Proton and GOG[SOLVED,#4]

So I have some Windows games on Linux, and so far my Proton testing is going pretty well. But I don’t actually have that many leftover windows games on my steam account.

I do have some more on GOG. Does anyone know how I might go about downloading windows games from GOG and getting them to run under Proton?

I’m not sure how proton works. Can you add them to steam as non-steam games and get it to work?

If you look at protons GitHub page their are instructions on compiling it yourself

If you ask me it would be better to just use Lutris for the GOG games. All proton changes go into DXVK and Wine staging so you pretty much get the same reliability. And you do not really need the Steam features that you might be able to use with steam games that proton gives you. Using proton will not really give you any advantage over Lutris.

Plus on Lutris you can change and experiment with the configuration much easier that might be useful to run a game correctly. I run all my gog games through lutris when using wine and it works really well.

1 Like

You can launch none Steam games such as those from GOG with Proton by making a copy of the prefix and directing proton to the absolute path of the games executable. @Dje4321 explains how todo it here:

2 Likes

I don’t want to install another version of a program I already have.

I hadn’t actually heard of Lutris, I might try it.

thanks for this. There’s supposed to be a “this post solved the problem” option but I can’t find it?

1 Like

We don’t have that anymore :frowning:

Ask a mod to bring it back

You could tho put [SOLVED] in the title and in your OP say the post number that helped you out.

2 Likes