Windows 7 finally dead

i ignore help threads

1 Like

That’s not a strobe effect. This is in high contrast or dark theme mode i presume, where there is a single <1ms flash when certain windows load? (i never noticed this until you mentioned and i looked for it)

What you should notice is this doesn’t happen in the majority of modern windows apps and so the majority of the OS, it only affects older apps of which windows explorer hasn’t yet been uplifted (but is being worked on).

i dont like windows 10’s shade of black in the dark theme, and with no way to choose 7 is just the superior option

1 Like

This one ?

If there was any time to say “ok Boomer” this thread might be it.

1 Like

yea i want dark grey

1 Like

boomer is a slur, please respect my right to use abandoned operating systems

2 Likes

Agreed. Everything had it’s place and it was actually stable.
2000 was the no BS version of Windows.

2 Likes

Agreed, Win 7 is a lumbering mess. I can almost garuntee no one else here has used Win 7 side by side with 10 in a KVM enviroment and experienced what it’s like to wait twice as long for the start menu to respond or things like search taking 10 times as long. It’s outdated plain and simple. generally speaking i can get a system loaded and operating properly 3x faster in 10 than in 7 it’s just slow.

2 Likes

Who else is sad about this, because now you have to explain to your relatives how their computer works, AGAIN? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Gave mother linux mint and pinned chrome to taskbar. havent heard a peep.

2 Likes

This, the amount of time saved on drivers and updates for new systems is astonishing.

1 Like

I switched to windows 10 in the last month, just in time. For everything I honestly think that holding on to Win7 set me back on a lot of performance and issues with newer devices. The xbox controller immediately comes to mind, and updates.

It served alright but Windows 10 is noticeably better in just overall performance. The boot time alone on the same hardware is definitely reduced.

Doesn’t Windows 10 use some sort of suspend mode instead of a proper shutdown unless you force it (or do a reboot)?

Pretty sure I turned that off early in Windows 10 lifecycle and at that point it certainly wasn’t faster than Windows 7 when doing an actual startup (by now it might well be though).

There are other patches, this is standard patch tuesday stuff.

Yeah, but you can either hold SHIFT when clicking shut down to bypass that, or turn off fast boot in your BIOS

You laugh, but i suspect the modern skript kiddie would have issues exploing windows 2000 in some ways because its too old to include the libraries their application/dev environment compiles against :smiley:

Yup

2k (vs. XP) was very much like Vista in some ways (wait, hear me out :D).

XP was the “consumer version” of Windows 2000 but the only real differences that mattered were that OEMs had an extra year or so to get their drivers in order and microsoft added UPnP (questionable benefit - oh and a “compatibility” tab that was backported to Windows 2000 anyway and never actually helped anything in my experience in either OS) and the fischer price UI.

2k consumed less resources, ran faster, looked better, was more stable - and once drivers were sorted out (took like 6 months after 2k was released for the hardware i had at the time) it was solid.

I do find it telling that the memory count in task manager: processes for Win2k and 10 are often about the same.

However Win2k measures in KILOBYTES and Win10 measures in MEGABYTES

:smiley:

1 Like

SMB1.0 is SMB1.0

oh and not to mention all of the DNS vulnerabilities

turn off, use cloud

put behind a firewall with a trusted DNS resolver. :smiley: as you should with any windows instance really…

But yeah, point being that a lot (not ALL of course) of modern/current malware is actually targeted at exploiting components that didn’t even exist back when windows 2000 was relevant.