Windows 10 Home has no RDP? Easy to use alternatives?

I need to do some family support, for my dad, in the african continent. I am in the UK.
I recently learnt he took his laptop to a store to have antivirus installed for internet banking. That made my toes curl in fear. I want to help but I have two requirements I’m not sure of:

1: easy to install on the windows side (for a 70 year old who’s good with things like excel but will grumble if it takes too long and I’ll hear about “in MY day…” and “why can’t they just leave it the way it was…” )

2: Software than can deal with crappy and intermittent internet. Tho I think it’s fiber he’s using connections out side the content are weird.

I’ve not used windows in years, so I don’t know but it seems windows 10 home edition has no RDP ?
I’m looking for suggestions that’ll help me login as an admin on his machine from here. Terminal Services?

Yes, they also have a linux client. And I use this on Solus to help out people on windows.

ah, that begins with T, maybe that’s what I was thinking of, Thanks will check it out.

Nope. Can’t domain join these either lol. M$ looking for the extra cash.

They also don’t have a Group Policy.

1 Like

all I need to do is get on the machine and see what the errors are about and check for strange things installed or running.

windows 10 home seems pretty useless on it’s own for remote admin.

I think team viewer will work for what I need, will test it out then setup a session over the weekend of all goes well.

Just an FYI last I time I used teamviewer it required the 32bit libs. Ubuntu #.10 needs them installed and a few existing packages downgraded. I think LTS should have them.

YMMV

Thanks for the heads up. I think I have 32bit libs already for other things some time back.

That’s not really what it’s for though.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Microsoft went as far as to remove business grade features; Whether this was a good idea or not remains to be seen. I personally think that with the new versions Microsoft was defined fine lines on what each OS does; they run core windows libs but are tooled for very different tasks.

The pro seems to be the much better of the two. Windows 10 Home just lacks too many features that most of us would use anyway.

Most of “us” (aka knowledgable people) yes, but not the average user. Grandma doesn’t really need a network domain or group policy, let alone remote access. Bitlocker/drive encryption you could argue if it makes sense for a home user, but most regular people don’t even know what encryption is, not to say how to set it up.

It makes sense in a way to remove features that most people neither use nor need and have the license be less expensive (or the other way round, you pay for more features).
At least it’s not like 10 versions anymore… Basic and Home Basic and Home Premium and Professional and Enterprise and Ultimate and… each their own N version and whatnot. Yeah, don’t think anyone needs that.

1 Like

I guess.

win 10 home is fine for what my folks use it for, I can’t complain there.

But I still qualify as a home user who just wants to sort out a problem with some tinkering and avoid taking the machine to ‘reputable’ shops in a crime ridden part of the world. I’m just surprised it wasn’t there, I’m sure there was RDP in previous version of windows. (the basic versions of xp, win7 ) Am I wrong?

Nope, wasn’t. Was always a pro feature (was RDP even a thing in XP?).
/edit looked it up, was a thing in XP, but also Professional.

And yes you might be a home user, but still advanced :stuck_out_tongue:

No, you need to use VNC in XP. We have to do this at work.

Chrome remote desktop might be an alternative.

1 Like

Riiiight, totally forgot about that.

+1 to this

its like Teamviewer but just needs Chrome, and let use mess arround with everything on the Machine, idk if you get any issue when trying to escalate to Admin, but if the Account on the End machine its an admin i think that you are all set

Someone in a similar thread suggested NoMachine (https://www.nomachine.com/). This should work for your case, too.

2 Likes