Will the cost of GPU ever return to MSRP level?

Anyone paying that for low-end RDNA 1 is insane.

Save your money for something with mesh shaders and VRS as above :smiley:

2060 (because turing has the above) is the lowest end card i’d buy today to be honest, unless you really just want “something” to use right now. In which case… i’d suggest APU until you can get something with dx12 ultimate feature level support.

3 Likes

Well there is 3070Ti for 1150…
And 3080Ti for 1900

1 Like

Much, much better value than the rx5500, or any navi1 based card.

1 Like

I can sell my RX480 today for more than I bought it for about 3-4 years ago…

1 Like

And to think i gave my rx480 to a mate for a bottle of nice vodka :smiley:

(it was one of those nominal trade value things. i gave it to him un-attached, he gave me booze)

edit:
If you can go without 1080p high/ultra gaming for a bit, i’d say now is the time to offload polaris/vega, while its still a good mining card. maybe even slum it with something useless for ether with less than 4 GB of VRAM and keep the money in your pocket.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s gonna happen ever, even if the chip shortage gets sorted out. Now that companies know the lenghts people will go to get their products they’re not gonna let that opportunity to earn even more go to waste. Maybe prices will not be doubled, but another 20% over the current MSRP would not be surprised as a price increase.
The second force driving big companies are investors, and those humanoid sharks will pressure companies to up prices.

2 Likes

Here’s the issue. When/if the mining ever moves away from GPUs there will be massive oversupply with graphics cards. That will drop the process. Now the MSRP will most definitely go up and up until it reaches 3000$ for 5090 or whatever…

2 Likes

I really hope so for anyone that couldn’t get one or afford one at the stupid scalper prices. But I’m also not hopeful because miner might make those card trickle into the market since they already had their ROI on the cards so if I they can let them go for more they will.

2 Likes
1 Like

You just saved me from buyer’s remorse friend.

1 Like

I’d like to think that if this continues it will either help fund people (even inside established companies) to further improve chip production or invite all new players into the field. But maybe that’s just me hoping for something to lower the bar of entry for chip production in general.

1 Like

It will still take time and might bounce a bit for a while but hey hopefully it continues.

1 Like

Not sure it’s really minings fault at this point. It’s just new cards that are actually good + some amount of production problems duo to covid (but seems to be solved now) + pretty massive amount of demand duo to everyone being inside (something like +30%). Not just people buying PCs, but companies upgrading their servers too (i.e. VoIP services got a big surge and many other things too). So like yeah… it’s bad right now and certainly Nvidia would not be opposed to the prospect of being able to sell high end cards at high end prices.

But I just cannot imagine mid range cards not going back to current MSRP eventually. Selling them at above the price of an entier console is redicolous and would eventually make PC gaming not accessable or reasonable. Which I don’t think is the goal here it’s just bad times. May take 1 or 2 years but it will pass. Higher end cards being sold at higher prices than previously might not. But truth be told probably (unless you need one for work) its luxury at this point. You don’t need 120fps at 4k. I still have a 1070 and given the prospect of the current pricing I will continue to be happy with my 1070.

I have a friend who also needs a card upgrade (from a 770) for a long time now. Low key told him that he probably should buy one now back when the whole covid thing started. Though, the 20 series cards where not a particularly attractive offerings and I wasn’t entierly sure it would be this bad. Looking back at it those where amazing offering compared to what we have now… My 1070 is literally going for what I bought it for 4 years ago. Which is completely nuts.

2 Likes

I think its a perfect storm; not mining’s fault specifically.

Nvidia and AMD had to put in their production orders (book fab capacity) months in advance for 2020-2021.

Then covid happened, work from home became a thing (also possibly people bored/furloughed decided to mine for something to do), entertainment from home became a thing, production capacity went down AND mining value skyrocketed.

And - as above, the new GPUs are actually a significant step up from things like Vega, Pascal, Polaris - so there’s a delayed demand from people who have seen the “meh” upgrades of Turing and RDNA 1 vs. the prior high end.

Blaming mining (only) is a cop out. Even if mining was not a thing I’m sure we would have still faced a shortage of parts. I mean cars can’t be made due to lack of engine control units - and they aren’t made at the same fabs as GPUs.

2 Likes

I had the understanding that was the exact point of the shortage regarding the car silicon parts, that is, silicon fabrication in general is affected because of covid and it doesnt matter whether the fab was producing chips for GPU/CPU because booking production has been blocked out to the major companies.

The only reason why CPU prices is relatively unaffected, from my understanding , is that they booked far in advance, causing them to gain sufficient stockpile for the market demand (that was relatively unaffected with the mining boom), hence the relatively sane pricing.

2 Likes

That’s not my point. The crypto market is going to expand no matter what. I’m just suggesting to ride it as it grows, and spread the word so it happens faster. If we didn’t talk to each other and suggest ideas word would never get out about anything.

Wasn’t that mostly due to short-sightedness on the part of the car manufacturers? They expected the market to shrink so cancelled orders, so that capacity was reallocated. Then people started buying cars because, surprise, they’d rather not share a bus/train/whatever with others during a pandemic…

There’s a few key factors.

1. The silicon shortage is industry wide not just GPU specific

2. Mining will continue to consume cards until at least the end of the year.

3. Nvidia 20 series was a flop and left many waiting for this current generation to upgrade.

4. The tarriffs that just kicked in in the US ensure that even under “normal” market conditions msrps can no longer be sustained.

The long and short of it is MSRP is dead.

I guess I’ll be skipping the 30 series and wait for the 40 series next year

I wouldn’t be surprised if this generation lasts for roughly 3 years. Nvidia and AMD aren’t simply going to move on to the next graphics card generation when there are so many people who haven’t even had a chance to buy into this one

Prices will be better in 2022 but it’s not gonna be perfect.

1 Like