Will a Xeon Phi coprocessor run on a Threadripper platform?

Found a cheap Xeon Phi coprocessor that might improve some of my workloads. Does anyone know if these will run on an amd platform? Could I just ssh in and run stuff on the card as a workaround?

1 Like

It should be fine, I don’t see why it would not work.

Though there has been some work on it here before and I am a complete layman but this may or may not be actually useful for what you want. They seem incredibly limited in what they are actually useful for.

I bought one for $60 if it doesn’t work I can just return it.

2 Likes

Let us know, seems to be a interesting piece of tech.

What might it be useful for? I’m just going to see if I can do cryptomining, and try to get Unreal using it for compile jobs.

1 Like

I really haven’t the slightest… I’m slowly learning not a guru like some.

Hopefully you find something interesting for it to do. I have one also, and A: I don’t know what to do with it, B: don’t have the will or skill to do anything with it. Mostly because I haven’t seen anybody do anything an average person might want to use one for. Average level one member, not average in the population sense.

1 Like

BIG ASS FRACTALS!

3 Likes

Has anyone ran blender on it yet?

1 Like

I’ve worked with Xeon Phis once and I don’t think they would benefit your type of work a lot (but I don’t know all the possible applications).
Xeon Phi has two significant advantages:

1. It’s basically x86
  2. They’re very strong at vectorized FP64 compute.

Usually you create a MPI program which is usually used im HPC. The Xeon Phis then basically act like full processing nodes and do their tasks within the MPI program. There might be other ways to use them but that’s what I did with them.

I’m interested in your results.

And I’m pretty sure the crypto I bought one of these cards for is a scam. It’s probably the scammers selling the cards in the first place on Amazon. I’m just going to return it, and if I can’t file a complaint through Amazon. I reported it to the hardware wallet manufacturers, and I might get a bounty after they hunt these individuals down. I’ll just mine Monero instead of the scam coin with $59 million of market capitalization. These scammers might even get Microsoft coming after them.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.