Wii U multi monitor (without the gamepad)

Does anybody have a clue if the the console’s rear video outputs can be used independently? Like is it even possible at a hardware level?

Of course if it’s possible it would require Homebrew code to make use of.
Would be nice to just use 2 monitors and not need the gamepad. Of course, Nintendo in it’s infinite wisdom decided some necessary GUI (like the system settings menu) would need to be done with the gamepad and it’s touch screen, so there’s more that would need done than just connecting 2 monitors.

1 Like

Even if it worked, surely it would just duplicate the other display rather than the gamepad?

Or to maintain the functionality of the game pad i wonder if you could break it apart and hook it up like a second panel that does the games pad stuff so you still have the access. I wonder if you could separate the controlls and the screen so it can stay mounted while you take the conteolls part elsewhere.

I didn’t use the word “independently” for no reason in my question.

1 Like

Without qualification that word can imply lots of things.

Right, because there aren’t multiple paragraphs with plenty of clarification.

Not needing the gamepad cuts the price damn near in half.

1 Like

This allows you to get around the gamepad required parts but does not function for gaming, not sure if it is helpful.

1 Like

No, there are four lines and a picture. Stop being a dick over something you didn’t word very clearly if you want people to actually help you.

1 Like

Hard/Impossible to tell without taking the lid off and staring at the PCB (both sides) for a while.
I will look for some teardown-pictures when I get home.

Took a look at some PCB shots, front and back, and, to me, looks like the analog output runs off of a digital to analog converter inside the console and not off of a totally separate circuit.
So the GPU doesn’t have a clue if there are two monitors connected to it or not. There should be some logic in the HDMI controller (it’s a Panasonic chip next to the HDMI output) that gives priority to the digital or analog output.

1 Like

@MarcWWolfe it would seem that my initial reaction was the correct one, despite your abusive response. I eagerly await your apology.

1 Like

Your initial reaction was pedantic grammar na___, not helpful to the thread.

1 Like

How is it “pedantic grammar” to suggest that the two outputs would be duplicated if they could both be used together and that neither would output the gamepad signal? How is that not helpful to the thread, particularly given that it seems to actually be the case?

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking from looking at the board.

Who here has heard of displayport multi-stream? Doubt that Panasonic chip supports it, but it’s possible.

Bruh what’s with that attitude? Peoples are trying to help

3 Likes

I’m fascinated to know who defecated in your coffee to the extent that you need to verbally abuse an internet stranger who tried to help you by giving honest advice that turned out to be correct.

Suggesting something that I suspect to be true, and then having it confirmed by evidence is… just confirmation. It’s not “confirmation bias”. That’s not what that phrase means. You’ve done nothing but swear at me and I’ve been nothing but respectful back.

There you go again.