WiFi Access Point/Router recommendations

I recently upgraded my Internet to 60Mbit, but unfortunately my modem is unable to deliver these speeds. (It works fine when I connect a device with Ethernet). Hence, I’d like to purchase a WiFi router or Access Point.
This AP should be able to support up to 15 devices and should also support technologies like MU-MIMO.
Also, currently I’ve connected three devices (desktop PC, NAS and PiHole) via an Ethernet cable. As to my knowledge, if DHCP is turned off on the AP, it should work as a switch and I’d be able to reach a notebook connected via WiFi with my desktop PC without any issues, shouldn’t I? Furthermore, I’m toying around with the idea of setting up a firewall. If I don’t invest in one with four ports, purchasing now an AP with 4 LAN ports might save some troubles in the long run.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I’ve taken a look at UniFi’s APs, but many of them do not have 4 LAN ports but only 2. So, any ideas would be welcome :slight_smile:

Budget?

1 Like

AC1200 for $45

It had no problems delivering 210+mbps for my mother, it will do great for your internet.

1 Like

I thought about spending around 150$, if it costs 200$ it’s fine as well. But I wouldn’t purchase a 500$ AP :wink:

Priority list
MU-MIMO Must
Want AIO device?
Hardware you have one hand (do you have any cheap gigabit switches, routers etc?)

1 Like

Unifi Ap AC pro for mu-mimo … Ap AC lite for regular mimo

802.11ac wave 2 vs wave 1

The lite is under $100, the pro I think 180?

1 Like

this is kind of a gimmick when the other end doesnt support it. just an FYI. not sure if you knew that.

2 Likes

The mu is multi user. So if you’re the only one using the AC radio there’s little benefit. If you’re running a busy sales floor with dozens of AC devices talking, there’s the benefit.

1 Like

I neither have a priority list, nor hardware on hand. What is an AIO device? I’m only familiar with this term when referred to water cooling devices^^.

I also forgot to mention: I’d like to be able to connect to the AP in my garden. Currently it is possible (although I often lose the connection). I do know that there are other factors involved, but I believe my router’s WiFi isn’t the best, so any quality AP should be an improvement. But for example, UniFi offers a long range version of their APs, so whenever something like this is available, I’d purchase the long range version :wink:

??

@Adubs How so? I thought this was entirely on the AP’s end…

@gordonthree We, wife and I, have a lot of devices in our household. I think roughly 15 are connected to the AP concurrently.

Whats your area your covering in WiFi like ? SqFt? walls? Multi stories? Congested wifi in the area?

AIO router/switch/AP

1 Like

The AP does the work but the client must also be MU friendly for it to work as intended.

theres still some benefits but they are minor.

2 Likes

We’re living in a city (=> congested) in an apartment on the 1st floor. Hence, when I’m in the garden, there is a floor and an apartment between the AP and me. The apartment itself is rather small, around 50m²/540sqft.

Thanks. I’m not entirely sure, both have benefits/drawbacks. If it’s a router, it would have to have 4 LAN ports, if it’s an AP, I could get away with fewer, since everything would still be on the same subnet. A router might be the better choice, if I’m going to use a firewall later on though…

that tp link can do routing or ap mode. there is a mu mimo version for $50. given that you only have 60mbps anyway, I dont see the need to spend a bunch of money on a more complex setup. of course thats up to you though, dont let me talk you out of overkill because I love overkill.

1 Like

Yeah me too somehow xD
Thanks for the link above though, I’ll definitely consider it :slight_smile:

I went ahead and purchased the following router: