Why isn't there a super technical Mac podcast?

I want to learn about the imac pro and such, right? I have a vested interest in it because I like my mac pro and I might want a new pro when I can afford it. However, theres no podcast, as far as I can see, that really discusses the nitty gritty of the whole thing. TWiT has mac break weekly but they're a bunch of coffee shop writers and a 60 year old that is as entertained by an NES as he is nascar.

Why doesn't anyone go "Well these macs had the problems in the past and they haven't really addressed them so we can probably expect all of this to be wrong in this product" or something similar? Theres very little in the way of technics put towards apple stuff and it really pisses me off. Not to mention that as soon as they switched to intel they just started pumping out $2000 netbooks.....

1 Like

I would assume it is because of the nature of the general apple user.

It is an often repeated meme that they are simple and just need things to work but every joke has its truth. The fact that Macs generally do just work means there is rarely need to go in depth on the system to dig around and fix. The culture they have developed of Oh it is not working right time to go the the genius bar has largely stamped out the users want to learn how to fix things themselves. And finally Apples near insistence that you do not look behind the curtain has actually convinced people to believe how it works is near magic and beyond their mortal minds. I mean most don't know it is Unix based.

So that is pretty much why in my opinions just from looking at how apples user act and portray themselves.

That is not to say that a lot of professionals don't use Macs, mostly Macbooks but usually when I see them or hear about them they are used because the battery life is great, the track pad is fantastic and it runs Linux like a champ and there are lots of in depth Linux podcasts/tutorials/help pages and so on.

1 Like

Apple products are not targeted at technical people.
/thread

1 Like

These guys are techs that go way back. I enjoy the show. Might be close to what you are looking for.

I guess I just wish someone like Louis Rossman would do a podcast and just point out "Oh the new imac pro huh? I always have to fix ppbus_G3_hot when they come in so that'll be a thing on those boards too" or something of the such. Theres very little anymore of open transmitting of hardware hacking and repairs, to the point that when I was at college I opened my laptop quite often to change the hard drive over to a windows one or back to my linux one and someone said that it was illegal and that they would call the police.

That person was also a coffee shop imbocile, but.... Anyways.

Theres just not as much talk about hacking the hardware as there used to be. As far as I can tell I'm the only one here on the forum that actually goes into that sort of thing.

Well when you make the only way to get inside one heatguns, razor blades, suction cups and brute force people tend not to be so eager to poke around inside.

1 Like

Not manny Mac enthusiasts on this forum i suppose.
Wendell has done a video on how to upgrade certain Mac pro´s.
But other then that, not much Mac coverage.

I should post more mac stuff I guess, then. I'm getting a new ibook for my birthday because my old one died.

Just had to order a 2012 macbook pro in 2017 so that it came with expandable memory and upgrade-able storage. Went from 500gb hdd to 275 ssd and from 4gb ram to 16gb.

Stupid that I had to buy such an outdated model in order to get the option of upgrading/replacing any of the components.

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea.
I have worked with Mac´s before and Mac OSX is pretty nice.

1 Like

Yup my friend did the same thing for the same reasons. Soldered in components just don't make sense in anything other than the Air and even then only because they want it so thin.

Apple has been selling netbooks since they switched to intel.

Netbooks they may be, but at least with OSX stuff like Ableton Live and Logic runs like a top which is no mean feat.

Well if you have a unix environment its pretty easy to get down to metal. The PPC laptops were basically servers that you could fit in a bag. They were great.

Yup, I may give apple shit for their practices but their systems are quite nice, I just don't get along with them. Stuff like finder is missing so many simple usability features that is seem so clunky and old.

Ask Hackintosh users/forums. They're the most mac literate people you can find.
Also guys like Louis Rossman that fixes Macs/Apple devices for a living but hates them with every fiber of his soul.

I would wager that the average linux hacker running linux on a macbook knows more about the inside of a mac than most out there.

I myself am one of those. Got access to tons of service manuals and stuff from when I built a hackintosh and went research crazy

1 Like

WTF!! If anything, the person who (assuming) called should be the one cuffed. That kind of outright stupidity is why computer techs will ALWAYS have some sort of job security.

Then install thunar off of ports.

1 Like

The computer techs at the same college thought NTFS was a USB company.

2 Likes

Not my Mac. I just hand it back to my friend when ever he needs to do something with files. Takes me about 4 times longer because I have to relearn controls.

That NTFS story make me sad, here I want an IT job and every story I heard about IT staff makes them out to be idiots.

1 Like