Why isn't anyone talking about GPU image sharpening?

Did I miss a thread on this?

The new Radeon Image Sharpening and Nvidia Freestyle Sharpening filters are insanely great even when you render to your monitor’s native resolution. The added texture detail is extremely noticeable, even without zooming in.

I honestly thought ESO added some sort of blur filter to the picture but no, the new sharpening filters work in multiple games like this. And it doesn’t change UI elements or make the game unplayable, I haven’t seen any artifacts, and it has a negligible impact on framerates.

AMD side requires Navi, NVidia works on Pascal and possibly earlier.

Really very impressive stuff.

Click to expand to full size:

6 Likes

I can see the difference even without expanding.

3 Likes

Hardware unboxed did a series of 3 videos on this.

3 Likes

Any way to get it working on Linux (currently use fedora)? I’m guessing it’s some sort of shader injection thing, but I have zero knowledge of how anything related to that works in Linux.

Nope, not available on Linux.

My point here is it isn’t just a better DLSS. Image sharpening dramatically improves material texture quality even when rendering to native resolution.

And it does it with negligible performance impact, artifact free. It’s frickin’ magical. Try it yourself!

2 Likes

had to open the pic on my 2k screen to see any diffrence. under 1080 its not worth. 1440p maybe useful but it does fuck all at 1080p or im goign blind but i can see it on 2k not 1080p

I’m surprised to hear that, since it’s so extremely obvious at 1440p.

well my 1080p screen is also a cheap under 100$ one so just could be the shit panel.

1 Like

I’ve also Image Sharpening activated at 50% and 15% grain (default settings) and thus far, I think overall image quality has been improved.

@Log AMD’s sharpening tool is open source, which means it is not unlikely that it will be ported to Linux :wink:

@Ruffalo Currently it is better than DLSS, but DLSS has seen signifcant improvements. The version deployed in Control for instance is awesome:

It is really obvious to me.

probably.

I’m using 100% sharpening and 0% grain reduction, and am really not seeing any artifacts, the image either doesn’t have a “deep fried” appearance or I prefer that appearance. To me it just looks markedly more detailed.

You can compare the two ESO screenshots above; does the elf on the right look unnatural/deep fried, or just more detailed to you? On the leather armor above her right breast, are those scratches sharpening artifacts or texture detail? I think the latter, because they’re present on the unsharpened image, just blurry as hell.

The only problem I see with the sharpened image is the tower in the background seems unnaturally sharp for an object at a distance. But I don’t think the original blurriness was real depth of field, it was just blurry because everything looked like that.

1 Like

How do you get those with Nvidia? Is it this Filter Menu you get through Alt+F3 or what ever the combo was?

Yes, alt-F3. You need to turn on experimental features in GeForce experience first.

Wow damn that pretty fucking amazing. Just on my phone, vertical and not expanded so less that 1080p wide, the image is so much better had I not seen multiple sources I would have called shenanigans.

It looks like all new textures. Like what all the HD packs should have been for years now.

1 Like

For me, 100% is a bit off. It looks like there’s something wrong. I don’t get that with 50%. That being said, 75% might be fine as well. At least we can choose :slight_smile:
Why 0% grain reduction?

@domsch1988 I think I didn’t have to turn on these experimental features.

I find grain reduction softens the image, and prefer it off. YMMV of course.

I like that there is no simple on/off option, so both of us can enjoy it the way we want :slight_smile:

From the image, I agree with you, somewhere between 50-75% would definitely be the sweet spot. At 100% the classic “sharpening” color distortions and contrast are becoming pretty clear.

I could provide screenshots of Witcher 3 and AC:O tomorrow and friday when I’m gaming at different settings, e.g. 0%, 50%, 75% and 100%.

1 Like

Please do. I would love to see more of this. In as many levels of setting, games, game types, and ages of games too. I wonder is there a limit to what it can help with like if older games will not react the same.