Why isn't anyone talking about GPU image sharpening?

At high sharpness values without grain reduction 2D objects looked a bit noisy, particularly 2D map textures in the UI. The 3D world still looked great, where that “noise” resolved to my brain as detail. Anyway I ended up dropping it to 60% sharpness for that reason.

Here’s an example of what I mean. This is a 2D map, so you know the added “detail” isn’t really there, and it just doesn’t look right with the full sharpness filter. 3D objects look slightly worse at 60% sharpness, but I feel like this is a better compromise.

I would still use 100% sharpness and 0% grain reduction on games without 2D textured UI elements.

Click twice to expand to full resolution.

1 Like

In one sentence:
Because it isn’t Nvidia.

“BUT MUH RT CORESZ!!!”

I see what you mean depending on the game though that might look okay. In that pic it makes it look like it was printed on cloth or textured paper so not entirely out of place looking. But the middle is the best of both.

What game is that by the way, the map really reminds me of Sacred 2 but that’s not from that game.

Eg:

It’s Elder Scrolls Online.

Since it’s a 2D texture, you know the 0% version is correct, and the others have added noise that doesn’t really exist. That applies to 3D too but I like it there.

1 Like

Okay thanks.

Yeah I know itnis adding noise but that is not always a bad look depending on the situation.

This DELL I have at work must be some really good panel cause I didn’t even had to zoom the picture…

1 Like

No AC:O screenshots because Steam/UPlay seem to ruin it, as shown below:

I’ll post W3 screenshots tomorrow…

They ruin the screenshots? Try taking them with GFE, default key is alt-F1.

1 Like

Still doesn’t work properly, now it looks washed out:

I think this might be an issue related to HDR