Why is DVI still a thing?

Seriously, I can’t think of a good reason that anyone is including it on anything. I just watched the pixio monitor review, and it just baffles me that manufacturers are putting DVI inputs on their motherboards as opposed to Displayport. It’s a bulky connector that needs screws to hold, and there are better alternatives.

Because there are plenty of systems built 3-5 years ago that can do the job they were built for just fine, and maybe people want to hook up one of those monitors.

Or they have a DVI monitor they want to hook their new board up to.

Thats why, basically.

Putting the port on the monitor probably costs 10-20 cents. It might be the difference between a sale or no sale.

12 Likes

GPU manufacturers have only dropped it in the latest latest gen, and not even completely since board vendors can still use it. As long as there are outputs — and probably a few years beyond (hell even VGA is still built into business targeted boards) — it makes sense to provide inputs, and as was mentioned it basically doesn’t cost anything since it probably just connects to HDMI data lanes anyway.

Because I like using it.

2 Likes

Servers still use vga.

10 Likes

Because I already had the chords, and my new equipment supports it.

Because companies have to pay a license fee to use HDMI (to use it in their products: GPU’s mobo’s, cable manufacturers, etc), DVI-D/DL, DVI-I/DL there is no fee. Also some monitors don’t have HDMI.

If you want people to buy your stuff you try to cover as many bases as possible that are reasonable.

As @SudoSaibot stated:

Where I currently work, the vast majority of workstations still use VGA and at 1024 x 768 resolution. I wish we could have something with digital output and at 1080p.

2 Likes

Heh… same here. 2 monitors on each workstation, both 1280x1024, one VGA, one DVI each, because the cheap ass GPUs only have one each.

Anyway, I just watched the pixio review as well and I’m more wondering why especially cheap boards seem to offer an HDMI port instead of DisplayPorts, which is a little odd considering DP is royalty free as well.
Though maybe the thought goes towards mediacenter/livingroom PCs there to connect to TVs? IDK, seems weird.

2 Likes

HDMI is more ubiquitous than DP. Any Joe Shmo will have heard of HDMI by this point. And its what’s started shipping in Western Countries on media devices.

In Eastern Countries like China, I believe that DVI was more commonplace.

1 Like

Maybe we can have a separate thread about motherboard compatibility matrix when the B450 boards come out. I mean things like how many ram slots maximum ram capacity number of built in io but maybe it will all be in PC part picker

Frankly I find DVI much more robust than display port. Especially if you look at the cheap display port cables I’ve had so many just fall apart.

2 Likes

DVI and D-SUB(VGA) needs to die a fiery death.

DVI-D is still capable of pushing high resolution output. Once resolutions above its capabilities become mainstream, I’m sure we’ll see a decline in its use.

2 Likes

Would say displayport is one of the most robust of them all, same with DVI. Hdmi and mini-displayport connections in cables and especially motherboards, are no-where near the robust-ness of displayport, in my experience.

They break or misalign to easy, unless you’re so careful that you treat every machine like a mac or even if you do

1 Like

I actually like DVI because you can screw it in so its firmly mounted. HDMI comes unplugged all the time. At the same time, I like HDMI because its smaller and is easier to route though cable management channels.

1 Like

Exactly, it’s possible to screw it in correctly and so firmly that there is no chance of it disconnecting by itself, even if pulled there’s a higher chance of pulling the monitor in use

Cable management is easier since as far as i rememer the hdmi cables or standard ones are very slim compared to the fat DVI cables, which are as robust as it gets.

I dislike hdmi a bit because the connections i’ve seen and used have been more prone to misalign, not that it happens often, but if compared to the robust-ness of DVI. Then DVI wins imo

1 Like

i got a 26 " ips wuxga display that only has dvi and vga it was pretty high end back then and i got it used a year ago or so, so if the product has the place i’d like to have the connector on it to run it natively without adapter.
a friend of mine uses a 19 " vga only display to run a macbook with, because the macbook has a partially broken display, that is still “useabale” kinda and neither he or i want to rapidly replace hardware without reason, i’m running 3 displays atm.
displays have the space to put whatever cheap io on it, so those few cents to put a dvi and a vga even on it are well worth it and i appreciate it, same goes for graphics card with dvi, although for me it’s more about having 5 display outputs instead of 4 with the 5th being a dvi instead of it necessarily being a dvi.
and for enterprise and laptops: “vga just works” a point made by louis rossman talking about the io on new thinkpads and with legacy hardware like beamers still possibly only having vga and again a proper laptop has the place to put it there anyways.

so overall many reasons that keep the dvi port around or other legacy ports, hell atm my graphics card only has 2 dvi ports (yes it’s ancient, blame rx vega prices :confused: ) using 2x dvi from graphics card and 1 display port through igpu for the 3rd crappy display.

1 Like

because most dp cable don’t follow standard, and some even short your device ?
But honesty, DVI is still pretty good, up to 144HZ, i think 1080, maybe 2K. and you got to love those screw ^^ so much better that the DP locking system.

2 Likes

Agreed. I have been using the same DVI cable for 11 years now, no problems. The fact that it has screws is a good thing, imo. HDMI cables become loose over time, and heavy use wears out the ports. I don’t like Micro USB either, for the same reason. I have only used Display Port cables at work, and they seem a bit better than HDMI due to the fact they have clips which help to secure them.

3 Likes

Try having monitors on an arm where you are moving them all the time. Now imagine a connection that doesn’t securely latch onto the monitor (HDMI and even DP). Yes, DP locks, but it isn’t fastened down like VGA/DVI is. Lots of play in the connection still. Similar reason you see VGA connections at businesses: it is truly universal. By being analog, there is no worry about having compatibility issues that you may even see in a DVI connection, and even more so in HDMI and DP. If a VGA port plugs in, chances are it will work. When you are dealing with hundreds of different computers being plugged into the same digital connection like on DVI/DP/HDMI, you are BOUND to find several issues with something no being supported because of one new standard or another.

That’s why you see VGA everywhere in the professional places. That is also why DVI still holds on as well. For the home gamer though, sure, DisplayPort and HDMI is pretty damn near the perfect connection for you.

2 Likes