Why don't Android tablets use UEFI or Legacy?

This is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. I don't use why they wouldn't as I have bricked three devices now due to the fact that they OEM nor XDA offer any unlocking exploits. Just today, I bricked a Kindle Fire HDX trying to install Google Play from the minimal GAPPS package. I just copied the APKs over and it bricked on reboot. Resetting it from recovery that comes stock does nothing it doesn't modify anything but the SDCARD partition. If tablets used UEFI, we could run SUSE, Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, and even Manjaro. Gnome and Unity of which scale pretty epically (I prefer Gnome, but you choose your own poison). And for Windows users, 10 supports both iOS and Android frameworks now. I really feel as if the mobile market is gimped, especially from thus standpoint considering some phones are so expensive you could make a high end workstation.

1 Like

Because they don't need a BIOS. The BIOS exists to load microcode and allow change in the microcode. But most SOCs have hard coded microcode so they don't need to have a BIOS.

1 Like

Despite the CPU already processing microcode, I feel as if a bios would allow OEMs easier access to utilities to reflash the operating system.

1 Like

I would guess that tablet manufacturers don't expect mobile devices to have the longevity that more powerful machines do. Certainly, the mobile 'smart phone' market has people churning through phones yearly.

3 Likes

That's strange. My friends and parents (I just own a tablet, phones don't do me any good) replace theirs every 3-4 years or so, and after that I usually install CM on them to make them modern.

You managed to unbrick the partition right? If not there are ways to 90% of the time, I can point you to some guides if you are stuck. You'll have to learn abd commands if you don't already.

ARM does not contain x86 micro-architecture, so your idea of running Linux on them is moot. The only tablets that do are the higher priced versions running Bay Trail, or Core iX processors. If you're using Bay Trail Atom's, then you are limited to 32-bit instructions. As of current, Ubuntu doesn't support booting on a 32-bit UEFI.

Core iX based tablets are stupidly expensive, so I wouldn't even consider using them.

Isn't Raspberry Pi ARM, and runs Linux?

1 Like

No. It would be great if you could. Are there ways to modify the system partition via adb? I think it's some Google services interfering with Amazon ones considering Amazon hacked the crap out of Android and it worked before adding them.

1 Like

As the X86 architecture becomes more efficient, I believe it will be used over ARM as ARM is a bit restrictive.

Yup.

If you're talking about Linux binaries, you'd be right, but even the kernel itself is open source and can be compiled for ARM platforms (using a C ARM compiler). RPi is an example of this - you can install various distros for it, including an ARM version of Arch. Obviously that wouldn't cover everything as some packages do not include source material, e.g. Steam, but that doesn't have to stop you from having a FOSS system that can function on either x86 or ARM architectures.

1 Like

There are other ways to change a system partition however you must be in twrp (or a custom recovery) I believe. I bricked my kindle a few times, (not able to boot, or get into recovery). Could you explain what you can do with the device? Was it a custom rom, or just amazon? I'm guessing since you just copied apks over that its stuck in a bootloop or wont go past the amazon logo? What apks were they? Oh also what have you tried so far in order to fix it?

Unfortunately it's just the stock recovery that just allows for a factory reset. Twrp doesn't work with Fire OS versions over 3.10. It gets past the boot loader but it doesn't load thegui. It just gets stuck with the orange Kindle Fire screen. I added Google services to the system/app directory, and I think that's what did it. I need a way to modify the system partition while the ROM is booting (it's not in a boot loop). I don't think my HDX is under warranty, and besides my laptop, it's the only thing I use. Thank you.

I think the root cause of your problems is not buying the right devices with the right companies. And or not following the guides properly for what you want to do.

The reason as you pointed out that the Kindle is a mess is that they took android and messed it up really nice. There are many tables andnphones that make flashing and upgrading the OS much easier. Amazon just want to lock you out and you are experiencing the downside of that.

I really don't want current x86 or x86-64 devices as they come with decades of legacy and backward compatibility cruft that will only serve to slow down devices and make themobsolete faster than they already are.

Arm has its drawback but one of its strengths is that it is made for purpose in phones and tablets. This is what makes them so efficient.

x86 would be nice and all but I would not want to waste time and effort to support the likes of a PS/2 port on a tablet or phone. This and many other similar reason are why I would not want x86 anywhere near my tablets or phones.

That said if x86 can be made efficient and drop all the aincent crap that it insists on supporting I would be happy with that but at that stage you are talking about a whole new architecture and well ARM basically accomplishes this all ready.

4 Likes

This. And Intel's Power-Saving Features and Drivers are terrible. I've owned a few x86 Tablets. of course from Intel, cause i can't find any AMD based tablets. and I would have to charge them every-day. cause the battery would massively drain even though i put the device to sleep.

1 Like

I guess I'm going to have to say good bye to the beast with a snapdragon 800. What of the Tab 4? How's it's support? I need something for $120 or under. Won't be getting anything for a LOONG time since I just saved up $80 for my RAM in my first rig. I do so much to my devices that I need something cheap. I can't afford my hobby ;)

It is probably fixable but I have no idea off hand without seeing it and knowing the history.

I have had some scary moments where I brickedy phone and a frantic hour or so trying to fix it ensued. Usually android stuff is fixable.

Samsung has the Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch 2014 model you can find them for $150. or if you are willing to buy them refurbished, you can find them for $100. and run the only custom rom in existence for it. "Prism Barebones" ROM. the rom is Touchwiz without ALL the non-sense. well to be honest. it's just Touchwiz without anything installed period. it comes with 8 apps on the damn thing and that's it. so you won't be held down by the blasphemy that is "Original touchwiz"

here's the only video i found on it. but you can see how it is, with the barebones rom on it.

Sorry I've been busy, but yeah that does seem like quiet a problem. I believe you can install safestrap for the hdx if your fire os is over version 3.10. However the only way I know how to install Safestrap is after the device has booted up. You should try posting your problem with your device and all the details on xda forums and perhaps give a link here to see what you have tried. It's always worth a shot, sorry I can't help further I haven't dealt with a kindle in quiet some time now. Since the device boots it's possible there is a program out like many devices have where you can hook up your device to the pc and flash the stock software. I tried doing some searching myself on xda forums and found some other people with similar issues, but couldn't find any clear solutions.

I remember when my samsung phone got it's bootloader locked by verizon. I had to use safestrap and its a little funky compared to a traditional custom recovery. Now when I buy a device I make sure I can install a custom recovery on it.