Why don't Android tablets use UEFI or Legacy?

I'm sorry. I managed to fix it. For whatever reason Linux automatically gave me root permissions in ADB shell, and I managed to delete the SetupWizard.apk from the system directory. I love the Kindles due to the sheer price per performance, but never cared for Fire OS. From here on out, I'll get a Nexus or something. I do way yo much tinkering to not have a recovery LOL :).

1 Like

It is pretty frustrating. I spent hours trying to root my Moto G, only to realize that an update had closed the exploit allowing me to do so.

1 Like

Congrats, no worries. Adb is awesome btw. Saved my devices so many times.

1 Like

Their processors contain microcode that executes a chain of trust that is specific to Android. This means that the devices are significantly more secure than any that utilize (U)EFI and BIOS, because each section of the initialization-process verifies, and solely then, initializes the subsequent section.

Wikipedia describes these stages.

This does not prevent operation of desktop-grade operating-systems, as PostmarketOS demonstrates, but it prevents interoperability of firmware and modification, usually, of anything before the (usually UBoot) bootloader.

Theres a few that do, however they arent’ based on arm

Arm needs a firmware prakage to balance against for instruction, sorta like an fpga but more like it works with different rulebooks.

Now, at OEM level, depending on the cores you have in your SOC, you can add things like an execution manager, a halt step, or any other number of thin. However, as arm devices are similar to embedded devices, by design, the user doesn’t need access to that.

As well, how many people would fuck up their bios settings in their butt pocket and now the phone runs t 750mhz locked and its in portugese. Not worth it, easier to use blobs.

And if the question is more about optimizing execution time, you wanna go after software in the OS, not the device. Smartphones are literally designed to be mass produced. I just thought of this, but the production team doesn’t need to sit there and test that all the bios settings work. They need to have the USB UART connected, flash the phone, run it on a test bench with possibly thousands of other phones, and then chuck em off to AT and T. Its just not feasible in the grand scheme of things to have something like that in the first place.

And even if an end user still wants something like that., The closest thing in description is either hekate for the switch or TWRP. And if my memory serves me, NO company wants to output an ADB dependnat device because the testing would be awful.

7 years later
:point_up_2:

1 Like