Why does my laptop boot faster than my more powerfull desktop?

Title says it all really.  I have a i5-3210M @ 2.50GHz (Ivy Bridge), 6GB DDR3, Kingston SSD-Now, Win 8.1 laptop that boots considerably faster than my i5-4670 @ 3.40GHz (Haswell), 8GB DDR3, Samsung 840 SSD, Win 8.1 desktop.  My desktop is better in every category yet my laptop boots in about half the time.  Can someone please enlighten me to why this is so?  As I have often pondered upon it.

cause your SSD on your Laptop is much faster than the Samsung SSD.

That's how SSD's are, they are meant to be faster than Standard Hard Drives but that doesn't mean that ALL SSDs are Equally Fast. some may be faster than others. In your Case your Kingston SSD in your laptop is much faster than your Samsung SSD in your Desktop.

The power of hybrid shutdown compels you!

When you shutdown Windows 8/8.1 it isnt actually shutting down.  What happens is the kernel state is written to a hibernation file and although it powers off, it isnt shutting down.  This is just about the ONLY reason win 8 boots faster than win 7.  Laptops have a lot of manufacturer software and it's probably configured a littel different than your desktop.

IIRC to actually shut down windows 8 you have to open CMD and type shutdown  -t 0 -f

-f means force the command

-t 0 means time delay 0 seconds (use a zero not a capital O)

you could also add -r if you want a full shutdown and then an automatic reboot

you can even do it remotely with shutdown -t 0 -f -m \\machinename

No, the Samsung 840 250GB is considerably better than the Kingston SSD-Now 120GB.

I have hybrid shutdown disabled on both.

Number of reasons hardware checks drivers fonts file fragment locations on disk is more optimized etc my netbook boots faster than my tower of power dont worry its windows it will slow down eventually lol!

How so? if your laptop SSD is booting up much faster than your Desktop SSD? Brand names doesn't make a product better if that's you think. What determines how fast an SSD is how much memory can be read and written. (Also how good quality the controller is) [if you wish to get technical]

Hybrid shutdown, or 'fast start-up' can be enabled or disabled from the power options in control panel.

It is not that I am really worried that there is anything the matter with my desktop, but more just curious to why it is so.

Yes thats right - but even if you disable hybrid shutdown - windows will STILL hibernate the kernel unless you use the CMD commands.

open up msconfig on each   >services  &   >startup   tabs

How many non-windows programs are starting up on each? More programs means more things to slow it down on startup

How much faster is it? And are you mesuring from after the motherboard logo screen? Because a laptop usually has that hidden and/or sped up (in my experience), while a desktop will hang for a little bit longer before actually booting

The Samsung drive is a more modern, more expensive, higher performance drive than the Kingston.  I have benchmarked both drives using CrystalDiskMark and the Samsung 840 beats it hands down, in every category.  Similar benchmarks and reviews from around the web agree.

Good job I disabled the hibernation file then.

The only thing I have start up on both is Malwarebytes Pro.

About half the time.  I am measuring from when I push the power button.  No boot splash-screen is one of the factors why the laptop boots faster, but does not account for the time taken to load Windows.

That wont make any difference.  Its not hibernating the whole system it is hibernating the windows kernel.  You CANNOT DISABLE THIS - all you can do is force a full shutdown through the cmd.  This is unrelated to telling the system to sleep or hibernate.

I was just trying to say the more you have of these ie drivers or fonts or hardware to check fragments to gather the longer it takes to boot because it has to sort all that out before you enter the desktop. Even a computer that is iin 100% working order has these traits. Sorry I guess my response was misleading hope this helps.

What gets me though is that the desktop had always taken considerably longer to boot to Windows, even on a fresh install.

Your OEM laptop has drivers pre-installed. Have you installed all the proper drivers on your desktop (I know you probably have, but I can't think of much else).