Why Asus Pro WS X570-ACE not working with 3 GPUs? Code 43

That would be helpful still, and I also think your suggestion is a brilliant idea. I’ll message the rep and ask him if that’s something they can do.

Regarding the refurbished board, what you shared is actually comforting to know.

I’ll follow up with what Asus says.

I agree, sounds like a good idea to test with PCIe generations. I’ll gladly help out with testing too, since I already have these triple-gpu setups in use.

1 Like

Hi again, just wanted to clarify against this KVM Mode Remote Multi-Display setting thing which i mentioned earlier. My finding as I was downgrading my UEFI is that its not necessary if you leave the realtek “IPMI” manager disabled. It should only come into effect if you enable it and intend to use the remote “IPMI”. Cheers

Any updates on your end @Seff ?

Okay great, thanks for highlighting.

Man, I’ve given up…feel like I’ve tried everything. It seems like the PCIE slots are damaged (just not reading the cards properly)

The two GPUs worked fine for maybe 4-5 days, and then one of them stopped working and started to give the code 43 in device manager just randomly.

Things to note are the following:

1. 1/2/3 cards give the code simultaneously or independently.

2. Sometimes I think that that cards are working because I don’t get an error in device manager, but when I check GPUz: CUDA is disabled, or there is no reading from the memory clock, core clock and/or GPU temp.

3. Sometimes I get the code 43 error in Device Manager, but GPUz sensors are working fine, CUDA enabled, Core Clock, Memory Clock etc.

I don’t have any other PCIE devices I can test, but I feel as though I have a bad board.

My advance RMA was approved so I’m hoping to have the new board within 1 week. I’ll keep you guys posted, and hopefully that solves the problem.

The third slot is routed trough the chipset yeah.
my guess that the issue might be with that.
Currious what Asus has to say about it.

1 Like

I actually am only now seeing your message, but so far ASUS has been helpful (kinda) in the RMA process (which I’ve put on hold for now to explore a last ditch effort)

@aBav.Normie-Pleb I reached out to ASUS, got into contact with one of their managers and it seems like they will assist me with a firmware that allows me to manually set the PCIE gen versions per slot.

I will keep the thread updated as time progresses but should this last effort fail, I will most definitely proceed with the RMA.

I’ve been using the two cards consistently for the past 3 weeks with the R3 3200G. Both cards will work fine for a few days, then the card in PCIE slot 3 would get the code 43. However, after a couple restarts, it’s back to working again.

1 Like

Thank you for reporting back.

Unfortunately sometimes people don’t check in again if a problem was finally solved so others aren’t able to learn from the past issues :frowning:

(Here’s hoping that PCIe Gen3 solves this for you but it would also suck, too, since it would mean that the motherboard cannot fully handle a PCIe Gen4 load-out on all slots…)

1 Like

I hear ya!

You and all the other contributors were EXTREMELY helpful and kind to me, and I really appreciate that, so I will follow through till the end, especially if it helps somebody else.

Quick update: I got a custom fw from ASUS which allows me to set the gen ver. for each PCIE slot, and guess what?

It worked. :slight_smile:

I’ve set the slots I’m using to Gen 3 (since I’m using risers). Don’t want to celebrate before I’m 100% sure so I’m gonna let it run for the next couple days then I’ll switch out the CPU (R3 for R7) and test all three GPUs, but so far after about 30 minutes and at least 10 resets and shutdowns, the cards worked each and every time.

Will update over the coming days.

5 Likes

Hi!
I found this thread of messages a few days ago and It’s good to see your problem being (I hope) solved, because you are not alone facing troubles with this motherboard + 3 rtx 3060 : me too ! (2 asus tuf rtx 3060 gaming and a gigabyte rtx 3060 vision oc)

Same motherboard, and a gpu with riser on pcie16_2 (those cards are really too thick).
I coincidentally bought the same ryzen 3 cpu (3200g) and as long as I was using 2 gpu (pcie16_1 and3), I didn’t have any problem, not even your code 43 error.

I discovered (but too late) this cpu wasn’t able to split his 16 pcie lanes between pcie16_1 and 2
source : on en.wikichip. org (pcie config is 1x16+1x4)

You solved your lane problem with a ryzen 7 3700x (cpu with 20lane +4lane from the x570 chipset). that’s at least what I understood from your cpu’s specs : lane Configuration: 1x16+x4, 2x8+x4, 1x8+2x4+x4)

I ordered yesterday a ryzen 5 3600 since this cpu’s pcie lane configuration is the same as yours.

I took care to use a sata ssd and not a nvme ssd : I don’t want to waste 2 or 4 pcie lane in M2_1 or M2_2.

I hope I’ll have the chance to see soon a new firmware release with this manual selection of pcie generation, because I think I’ll need it too !

Thank you all for those brilliant exchanges, It helped more people than you think !
ps : sorry I’m french and my english grammar isn’t perfect : I tried my best :flushed: :sweat: .

1 Like

Welcome @Dravyn,

just the clarify: The 3200G only has 8 (main x16 PCIe slot) + 4 (M.2 slot) + 4 (chipset) PCIe lanes. The following 4000G generation finally got upgraded to 16 + 4 + 4 PCIe lanes, though only Gen3 and not Gen4 like on non-APU Zen 2/3 CPUs.

1 Like

Happy to hear the thread was helpful. @aBav.Normie-Pleb @WarwicK7 @wendell I just finished extensively testing the custom BIOS with the 3 GPUs and with both CPUs (Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 3 3200G)

“Not Working” cards indicated a Windows Code 43 in device manager and GPU-Z Bus Interface indicated “PCI-Express X16 1.1” even though the PCIE Gen version was selected manually in the BIOS.

Testing with CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

Three GPU Setup

PCIE 1 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 1 (Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 2 (Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 2 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 2 (Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 3 (Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 3 (Not Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 3 (Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 3 (Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 2 (Not Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 3 (Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 4 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 4 (Not Working)

Two GPU Setup

PCIE 1 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 1 (Not Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 2 (Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 2 (Not Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 3 (Not Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 4 (Not Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 4 (Not Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 1 (Not Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 1 (Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 2 (Not Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 2 (Working)

PCIE 3 - Gen 3 (Working)

PCIE 3 - Gen 4 (Working)

PCIE 2 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 1 (Working)

PCIE 2 - Gen 2 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 2 (Working)

PCIE 3 - Gen 3 (Working)

PCIE 3 - Gen 4 (Not Working)

One GPU Setup

PCIE 1 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 1 - Gen 2 ( Working)

PCIE 2 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 2 - Gen 2 ( Working)

PCIE 3 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 2 ( Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 3 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 4 (Working)

Testing with CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G

Two GPU Setup

PCIE 1 - Gen 1 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 1 (Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 2 (Working)
PCIE 3 - Gen 2 (Working)

PCIE 1 - Gen 3 (Working - Currently Using)
PCIE 3 - Gen 3 (Working - Currently Using)

PCIE 1 - Gen 4 (N.B. Not tested, but will likely work)
PCIE 3 - Gen 4 (N.B. Not tested, but will likely work)

I will follow up with ASUS and update.

3 Likes

I feel your pain!

My gut says that either your motherboard unit is defective (ASUS should investigate with their own units to verify) or that the motherboard design itself is inadequate regarding PCIe Gen4 signal integrity - possibly needing a hardware revision to be fixed.

Since the Pro WS X570-ACE is NOT EOL ASUS should have reason to investigate further.

1 Like

PS: If anyone would like to send me three PCIe Gen4 GPUs I’d also be willing to test PCIe Gen4 stability on two units of the ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:rofl: haha, I ordered mine from all the way in New Zealand before the craziness hit an all time high.

Who would have thought, huh :weary:

1 Like

You saved me a lot of money , I was going to buy this mobo.Seeing you struggle so much i changed my mind but, keep us posted.best of luck

Well, we don’t know yet if it is maybe just a random defective motherboard unit since other users can operate it without issues with three GPUs.

1 Like

What do you mean other users ,do you know any forum where they have used same mobo?

Not the exact same hardware configuration but at least the motherboard working fine with three PCIe Gen3 GPUs - operating three PCIe Gen4 GPUs in Gen3 mode seems to also be an issue for @Seff after he manually locked in PCIe Gen3 in the experimental BIOS he had received from ASUS.

(This functionality is not available in public BIOS versions at this time but hopefully will be added)

I’ll keep the thread active until it is 100% definitively solved. :+1:

2 Likes