Why am I not on Linux?

Idk I stop using a tab i close it. even if i might go back in five minutes. I do it without realizing it.

ya id die if i was to do that with my pay for 25 by 1.5 get 14 by 1 connection

ya i have 50/5 but I dont even thing about it it just happens im like shit why did i close that lol.

This is the case with most potential Linux users. I know plenty of people who's philosophy on Linux is "Man holy crap I'd love to run Linux, I hate Windows, but I need my [Adobe Suite/Obscure Game/Obscure Corporate Tool/Hardware Driver]"

I was like this for a while, I just got Ubuntu GNOME set up in dual boot on my laptop and I love it. I'm trying to get as much as I can working, because like Logan said, it's a chicken/egg scenario, there's not enough people to justify developing software, purely because there's not enough software. People just need to use it as much as they can and show devs it's important.

btw did i mention i was defending the switch to Linux side here even if i totally got sidetrack
I do run multiple Linux (mostly VMs), 2 freenas and multiple windows (main os and VMs), i think that in most case making a VM out of your old window installation and running Linux as main OS is a perfectly valid option specially in the case of @MrSmiley from the way he described is issue.

1 Like

I'm fine with Linux stuff and drivers itself, missing Steelseries software just bugs me out a lot.

I do think, that my macros did work on Linux as well, but LED configuration was not there anymore. I also has the same thing with OS reinstall, that my macros were saved, but after installing Steelseries Software, they were reset.

That's true too. I will most likely install Linux again, when I get another HDD, since my friend wants to get rid off of his old HDD. I would salvage that.

Thanks!

I am most likely not experienced enough with Linux. I should ask myself: "How do I do it?" Not: "I don't have this piece of software!" That's, how I have understood about Linux. You have so much choice and control over your programs and that's, why I love Linux!

Huh?

That is so besides the question!

All functions of those peripherals work just fine, including polling rate and MCU settings persistence. All those functions can also be set in a unified way across all class compliant devices. Why would you need a separate piece of shitware for every different piece of peripheral hardware?

Your remark pertaining to graphics is also pretty dumb to be honest. Linux users have been enjoying better graphical experiences than console users for years now, and not only with proprietary drivers. Most PC users use Intel graphics adapters, and those only have open source drivers that are in the linux kernel. AMD open source drivers are also pretty good since 2013.

2 Likes

Don't forget Nvidia drivers being good.

See what we learned from @Zoltan is you only need 2 buttons for your mouse because all that matters is polling rate. You don't need the extra functions your Steelseries provides like macros and custom keys. Get good at gamin pleb... /s

You can set custom keys without 3rd party software on Linux. This is what @Zoltan is trying to convey.

I believe this will help do it for any mouse, @Zoltan can chim in on this I'm sure.

1 Like

I'm not using a Linux distro because I don't need too... Windows works great for me. It runs all the applications and games I need, and doesn't get in the way of my productivity.

Don't get me wrong, I have tried Mint & Ubuntu, but I don't want to spend ages setting up the OS for running my applications. If you like tweaking before getting work done, I suppose Linux is for you.

Linux is not windows. It is a tool as is windows and apple. Use what suits you/right tool for the job.

Actually this is the very topic of the 1 Year challenge on this forum. The purpose of the challenge is to encourage people to learn more about how your computer works. In using Linux, your crutch isn't there. Now you sink or swim, but if you learn to swim you will be able to do more than you rver dreamed to the point where as you say "doesn't get in my way of productivity" becomes "how did I ever do without".

The only thing I have not seen this apply to is in the special case of video editing. Premier is such a strong app.

I only liked this because you threw his shit back at him.

@ipat8 It was mostly sarcasm originating from previous discussions on the topic. I even PMd him after posting (~12hrs before his reply) saying specifically not to reply (fully knowing he would speak before thinking). The thing of it is there are more use cases than he ever considers. He only exists in his sphere so seeing another person and their very specific use case scenario never happens. Even after the superfluous, recycled response (which I knew I would get), he has never offered anyone here real advice. It took another member to provide a newer Linux user a link to more info on how to interact with the mouse. The hot gassy RMS/anti non-linux/anti non-zoltan way of thinking get really old and provides little to no benefit to the community.

Nope, you obviously have never tried linux, because then you would know that all buttons just work and are freely assignable in the standard graphical interface. In linux, you also set the polling rate in the kernel boot options, so that it works on a hardware level, whereas in Windows it works through the driver which is loaded in the graphical interface, so your gaming performance will be better with that mouse in linux than in Windows when it comes to less lag, so that you can get better at gaming.

What really puzzels me is why you would post something about linux when you've clearly never tried it, it seems so... needlessly negative...

1 Like