Who runs cool intel i3 or amd ryzen 3 3200g/ ryzen 5 3400g

I read a review about i3 9100f someone says that it runs cool even on high work load. So as curiosity I wanted to know which CPU runs cool in idel state i3 or ryzen apu with stock cooler. Is it depends on which motherboard is going to use? Linux is a primary OS.

Depends on the cooler and airflow in the case.

As mazeframe said, thermals can be managed - so consider use case… I would go ryzen 5 for general usage; would consider i3 for photoshop/adobe specific - but still might go ryzen for better upgrade path, if applicable.

1 Like

As soon as budget for the CPU reaches 200, Ryzen 3000 (except G parts) kills Intel until the 9900k is in budget again. Even then, the 3900x is better overal value at $500.

1 Like

I don’t see the 9100 on that list… single core performance might be worth considering in specific use cases - for the short term. Which again, isn’t to say it would be my choice.

2 Likes

I don’t like passmark, will look for numbers on the 9100 though.

1 Like

Hey thanks for reply buddy. I choose ryzen 5 3400g over i3 because System76 a Linux PC manufacturer company uses this cpu in budget segment. They don’t use i3 in budget segment.

Thanks for your reply buddy. I consider ryzen 5 3400g because I only do coding so I don’t need dedicated graphics card.

1 Like

hi!

I’mma keep it 100 with you, chief:

go intel

in all seriousness

I have a 2400G on linux and it’s ok, but depending on what environment/language you’re coding you might be better with the i3… also you get the extra power of clear linux if needed…

also there’s that bullshit on libgc (or libc I can’t recall correctly)

EDIT: [quote=“JB_Rasp, post:1, topic:151448”]
i3 9100f
[/quote]

but you’ll need a GPU with the 9100f

also what’s your general area (web, scientific stuff…)?

1 Like

Hey Thanks for reply. Glad to know that you are using Linux. Basically I don’t want to spent money on GPU. I’m also considering powerefficiency. So I’m not considering AMD’s cheap GPU like rx550, 560, 570 because I read about those GPU that they get really hot compair to Nvidia GTX. But Nvidia still struggling on LInux. That’s why I decide to go with Ryzen 5 3400g.
And also one this is that I’m just try to copy System76 Thelio. I picked the parts which are used in System76 Thelio machine except PSU and Case.
Any suggestions for pc parts really appriciated.

I use an R5 3400 for an OMV Nas that runs a few containers, PleX and ZFS. The Temps stay low, even when encoding. Keep in mind, I don’t have precision boost or any manual overclock enabled.

I’d stick with an X470 or B450 as a motherboard if you aren’t using a bleeding edge distro. X570 is still being sorted out from what I can see. Even Pop OS Isn’t doing great picking up all of the AMD chipset temps and other misc details on X570.

1 Like

So are you suggesting me to go with intel? I also read that you won’t get correct chipset temps with AMD.

You get more cpu for your money with last gen and current gen Ryzen, but you need to tweak more.
I have a 3400G in a B450 mini-itx board and I’ve had no issues on debian. I set the fan curves in the bios for CPU/Case to quiet and temps have all been great.

There are some drivers and solutions out there.

I have a PopOS machine I setup with a 3600 in an X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI and that seems to be running fine but beyond installing the above driver/monitor, I haven’t tweaked much. Its only been up for a week and I still have a lot to learn on the linux side. I do have Steam/Lutris/Proton running well, the next step is to mess around with containers and vms.

That’s really an amazing. One thing I wanted to ask you does ryzen 3400g or 3200g works with single channel ddr4 3000MHz CL16 RAM if gaming is not your consider. I’m unable to find 2x4 GB RAM. And installing 2x8 GB RAM is waste of 8 GB RAM. Because I don’t need 16 GB RAM for my workload. 8 GB is more than sufficient.
And thanks for that GitHub link. Really a useful information.

how?

couldn’t get my 2400 G to install debian… might be the fact that it’s a HP desktop

A friend of mine dual boots a 2400G Fedora/Win10, has been fine for him.

Fedora, Ubuntu and Elementary are ok, but I couldn’t get Debian to work.

I have encountred the issues that some times you are unable to install specific linux distribution on specific hardware. I have 2012 HP Pavilion G6 i3 it runs Ubuntu and Manjaro finr ( But in Manjaro temperature increases and fans keeps running ) But when I was trying to install Kali Linux the installation live image itself didn’t appear. Sometimes I feel the hardware compatibility fo Linux is really not that great. Windows still dominating.

That ain’t no news ma boi

Elementary is more than fine at desktop. Snappy, beautiful and awesome. I just could not install debian.

Agree. Elementry OS DE Pantheon is really smooth. It works really well on low hardware. Even on 2 GB RAM it runs just fine. When I was using it on HDD I feel like I’m using it on SSD. Pantheon is really good DE but it has some disadvantages so I give up. Thinking of trying Solus. Which Linux you use on daily basis?