Where the funk is Vega? (Why they re-release Polaris, that's already outdated)

Totally guessing here but I agree. AMD will come in with great pricing to performance. I am hoping the top card will be > 1080 and on the heels of a TI so people with lots of money can have a AMD option even though we all game to 1080p :slight_smile: according to steam.

i'm at 1440p and just got a 580. it's ok, but not able to drive the 144Hz my monitor is capable of. i'd like an AMD's 1070 for 100€-150€ more than the 280€ i paid for the 580, if the difference is worth it.

the *sync monitor split is so effective at keeping people in their respective camps that i don't think there's even a need for AMD and Nvidia to compete in the top performance tier. no one will change camps anyway. as long as AMD can take the price crown at similar performance, plenty of people will buy their products and at least keep them afloat.

The top end Vega card doesnt have to beat the 1080Ti or Titan XP2 in gaming.
As long as its price is right.
The top end Vega card might be interesting for productivity,
with its rumored compute performance.

I wouldn't be surprising if it's yet another case of good-in-gaming-great-in-productivity just like the Ryzen. It would come full circle with the eco system they're trying to cultivate. The gaming audience, and content creators, two birds with one stone at a competitive price.

Well it is all speculation and guesswork until AMD actually releases something :slight_smile: Buuut we'll probably have to wait to the end of June for that. I have a 4K screen, dual Hawaii actually works pretty well for gaming on it. It would be nice if AMD could put out an affordable card that can do that by itself at less than half the power. That would probably be enough for me. If I haven't bough a 1080Ti already...

1 Like

Around Vega launch or there after you can expect a $100 drop on the 1070/80/Ti line of cards. NVIDIA has been holding off price drops probably just for Vega. So the 1080Ti might end up being cheaper then the top line Vega card, and perform better, which will hurt AMD.

PS. The 1080Ti is $1379AUD here in Australia, no way in hell am I paying that. I will drop maybe $800aud on a Vega, THAT better be its pricepoint or no sale!

Well there is this, AMD removed it of cause. It sounds about right to be honest, I could have made this up myself because its what we expect, we all knew 3 cards would come out and it be foolish to think they be all the same perf levels.

I of cause would love a NOVA one, but will it work in my ITX case that has 250mm GPU clearance? I mean HBM2 is meant to allow smaller cards, so we will see how it goes. I won't be buying local, AU stores tend to get unrealistic with GPU launches, often doubling the price to suck at early adopters..

2 Likes

Oh boy, (checks wallet, :cry: )

Lets hope they have a 8gb version at 1600mhz clock also. Ideally I would like to get a 1080ti competitor. (which cost $1500aud here btw)

Memory stacks don't affect core clock, so that is a given it will be 1600+ for the top end watercooled card.

hmm 1400-1600MHz core clock, interesting if that's the case. (700MHz memory) I hope its not server part.

Dang, I kinda get why Nvidia would Release Titan Xp.

Titan Xp is slower then Ti in many cases, not a crowning achievement if you ask me.

Guys, guys, guys, I think we have been missing this

Sneaky AMD, iD, and the Tech media have been hiding this from us
seems like everything is hidden in this area, all we need to do to unlock it is to collectively beat Doom on the hardest difficulty with 100% completion 666 times to unlock this area

I understand that I am not contributing to the discussion, but I just got Doom and found this funny

2 Likes

Whoa, is that real?

1 Like

Pretty sure the AMD logo isn't in the game. :wink:

1 Like

Machine learning benchmark.
Not faster than V100, but VEGA isn't a 800mm behemoth.

I think we can close this post now, was not a good one to begin with and Vega approaches.

I find it funny how the entirety of this thread has been "I hope it can maybe beat Gtx 1080 and be price to performance competitive" without anyone mentioning that, guys, Gtx 1080 is a year old card. Is anyone else at this point thinking, that's not enough? Nvidia is showing off server grade, big Volta, and AMD is still yet to release any competition to high-end pascal. For a lot of people, this launch may just be too late. Gtx 1080 and 1070 have been available for a year, without response. Tick tock.

Here is vega: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/amd-vega-frontier-edition-announced/115969