AMD Vega frontier edition announced

AMD 2017 financial analyst day is live as we speak (livestream: http://webcastevents.com/events/amd/analystday/live/player.htm)

During this event the Vega frontier edition was announced. This GPU is not for gaming, but for "new technologies"

-edit- Vega frontier edition release is expected in the 2nd half of June (Last question of the Q&A session during the live stream)

Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition
- Compute units 64
- Single precision compute performance (FP32) ~13 TFLOPS
- Half precision compute performance (FP16) ~25 TFLOPS
- Pixel Fillrate ~90 Gpixels/sec
- Memory capacity 16 GBs of High Bandwidth Cache
- Memory bandwidth ~480 GBs/sec

more announcements regarding Ryzen in the no BS ryzen topic on this forum

1 Like

The fact this came out before the gaming card confirms what a lot of people have been saying. AMD is no longer focused on gaming.

IDK, I think that the margins are higher on these so sell these first since they need money more then good will with putting gaming before way higher profit margins.

Still, they've traditionally released the gaming cards first.

So because they broke tradition on 1 product = they dont give a fuck anymore?

Which is a terrifying proposition considering the behemoth that their going to be competing with in the Tesla GV100 and other V100 based cards. They compared Frontier performance to GP100 performance in their slideshow, and it looked good. But compared to GV100, its a complete stomping in favor of Nvidia.

1 Like

what part of no longer focused on gaming = don't give a fuck?
I didn't say abandoned gaming.

4 Likes

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/reprioritize

3 Likes

Took it to an extreme, they deff care about gaming, but they already have their marketing for gaming stuff for computex. They wanted something to show on the call, so they went with boring compute stuff. I dont think that is enough evidence to support that gaming has taken a back seat. On the cpu side its 1st gen core design for then vs intel who has been working on single thread forever and has way more money. On this example its all about timing conflicts.

1 Like

when i saw the blue cover i was like 'Intel' called it wants it blue shroud back.
hehe.

again guys this wasn't computex, they gave us a snack just before it... thats about it. This was mainly aimed at professionals.

2 Likes

Don't worry (yet). The audience of this presentation by amd is not the consumer but shareholders, market analysts, etc. For them its all about the $$ and therefore the consumer market is less interesting to them. The professional gpu market as a whole is much more lucrative and amd has more market share to gain in this segment. This is probably also why ryzen pro and epyc were introduced here; amd needs to convince investors etc. they will gain momentum again in a market where the big bucks are made.
Rest assured computex will hold more news for the consumer market. If computex was held before the amd financial analyst day we would have probably seen a consumer grade vega gpu first. At least that how I view current developments.

1 Like

The deep learning market is where the real money is at, the gaming market is chump change compared to how much there is to be made in deep learning. Why do you think Nvidia is so successful?

2 Likes

Don't tell me tell @mutation666

Not sure what to think, I'd hope the 8GB card can compete with a 1080ti which is probably still more then I can afford anyway. I might end up running a SLOW backup card for a couple months as I save up some spare cash for a Vega.

Not really liking the comparison to FuryX there, which is a terrible performing card IMO as it doesn't reach anywhere near its TFLOP rating in actual games (for example 980ti performs better in Fallout4 then it! ), and it suffers memory stuttering pretty hardcore. HBCC should be nice but!

Just to drum it home, 980Ti is 5.6TFLOP and FuryX is 8.3 FTLOP but performs like a 5TFLOP card, at best.

They brought power and optimisation for dat Ultimate Gaymen Eexperience :tm:, with proprietary aspects. Even Nvidia is proving that the gaming market is becoming worthless as they're still hold the top spot of that market.

3 Likes

You cannot buy a standalone, Volta. You can get (or "will be" able) to get one in $150,000+ server. They will have to sell quite a bit of hardware to get back the billions of $ in R&D costs before they trim it down to a consumer marketed PCIe 3.0 card. Then, you'll still be looking at a $5,000ish price tag for those amateur data scientist of us that are nerdy enough to choke it up. Most that have the bug that bad will already be rocking multiple Vegas for years before then. Well, if everyone gets over the sandbagging that is...

So a Pro HPC card at end of June and some gaming cards some unspecified time later. I guess they did release Vega in H1 if that Pro card is available at the end of June. Just no gaming cards.

haha maybe not in the high tier, but keep in mind not everyone wants to pay 800 dollars for a shill80 ti either. Personally, I play a lot of source games, league, emulators, and I stream a lot. Do I need a nvidia GPU? Fuck no. Not enough vram for my price point (3GB VS 8GB) and the drivers will be nuked from orbit in a year when the next series comes out.

Now, why would AMD kill the market their GPU's are basically made for? Good mid tier cards that anyone can use for anything. Nvidia makes the most expensive thing they possibly can with as much power as they can. Remember when the 1080 released and it was double the titan X? What is AMD supposed to do about an arch that has been refined and refined since the 800 series got skipped over? At that, why make ridiculous shit that no one can pay for when you can produce for the mass market?

They aren't out of gaming at all. No one needs an 8GB vram card for doing email and youtube. The Fury X is still around and the AMD cards are just as good as the mid spec NV's and are CHEAPER for more. Thats the point.

If they were done with gaming all we would have are tuner cards, sound cards, shitty SSD's, and APU's.

And zen.

2 Likes

The pro.radeon website linked in the topic start has 1 benchmark/comparison vs a titan xp.

All whatever it is, as long as there is a market for computer modellers like @weskie then we are safe from assuming that "GPU, "Video card", "Graphics card", "Video Processing Unit", etc, equals the general consumer (gamers) market.

1 Like