Where is Thunderbolt on Threadripper?! Here it is, but... | Level One Techs

@Wendell We’re definitely calling this WendellBolt.

2 Likes

I’m on board for lightning clap

Here it is, but…

It wouldn’t be a level1techs video without the caveats and asterisks.

Seeing thunderbolt get a lot of bandwidth on a threadripper board is pretty impressive. Maybe just call it BoltRipper or something?

2 Likes

Hi,

Really like the work you have been doing on PCIe Passthrough and now Thunderbolt.

I have been looking for Threadripper motherboard with Thunderbolt support.

You asked what is the use case for Thunderbolt on Threadripper.

I can think of three use cases relating to eGPU via Thunderbolt.

(1). AMD multiGPU Rendering with Blender.

• Also Nvidia.

(2). AMD ROCm OpenCL compute.

• Support for Thunderbolt connected GPU is work in progress.
  • Developers were looking for people to work with on that.

(3). Mining - say what you want about miners but they probably keep AMD GPU division running recently.

You are limited on the number of GPU’s you can fit inside your PC case. especially if you are running those Sapphire Nitro Plus Vega 64 or PowerColor Red Devil cards which are > 2.5 slots high.

You could invest in custom watercooling loop and modify your Vega 64 GPU by adding waterblocks to reduce height of the card and be able to fit more cards. That can be lots of work and will void GPU warranty in may regions.

It would be much easier for some to purchase RX Vega 64, eGPU box and connect via Thunderbolt 3.

I have Thunderbolt 2 eGPu box and I use it with both laptop and PC. The eGPU can be seen here: https://community.amd.com/message/2871353#comment-2871353

I use it as an additional GPU for Blender multiGPU Rendering in Blender 2.79b on Windows at the moment for example.

Bye.

I was thinking ThunderRyzen(Ryzing).

1 Like

that’s corny af

which is on-brand for AMD but still

1 Like

I know! Its perfect.

fits in with people not taking linux seriously.

That’s one of the reasons I enjoy the content. He tries not to misrepresent the facts.

2 Likes

@wendell Correct me if I’m wrong, but on that motherboard the x16 slot in the dead center is actually an x4 slot connected to the chipset. This would allow you to connect it to the chipset like you said you wanted.

@wendell I think you asked/mentioned in the video about Thunderbolt on AM4 and whether any AM4 boards have a TB header. Well…

I’ve been going through pictures of various X370 and X470 boards out there, no TB headers to be seen.
The only whiff of TB on AM4 comes from Asrock. It looks like they thought about it but still decided not to include it.
Look at the X370 Pro4, AB350 Pro4 or AB350 Gaming K4. They have an unpopulated header marked “TB1” between the TPM and COM headers. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

Wonder what they were thinking.

Also yes, those exists in the real world as well. Surely it’s just a mask and holes, surely it won’t be hooked up in to anything?

I only looked through X370 and X470 boards as those would be more likely though as I came across the X370 Pro4 I decided to skim through Asrock’s whole AM4 lineup.

P.S. Argh, motherboard manufacturers, give us higher resolution pictures on your product pages… My eyes hurt…

YOU JUST MADE PEOPLE WITH BLACKMAGIC TB3 DEVICES VERY HAPPY! Thank you so much for the proof of concept @wendell!

You could test a Blackmagic Ultrastudio HD Mini over Thunderbolt 3 with this setup, cause that would revolutionize the video editing/post production industry! Better yet, get it working on Hackintosh so people can use FCPX or Premiere in macOS without Apple hardware! (Especially with the lackluster iMac Pro that just came out)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

(Of course, I can’t do it cause I don’t own Threadripper.)

4 Likes

Kudos :)~

He doesn’t actually want chipset lanes (at least I think…)

1 Like

I believe that my Asus and a lot of other B350 motherboards have at least Thunderbolt 1 maybe more? I think that it is worth playing around with. If you look at this Intel board, you will see a pin layout that looks very close to the TPM header in the picture of my Asus B350f Gaming, but just with the TB header combined with the TPM header. Link to Intel board: https://images.anandtech.com/doci/6970/ASUS%20Z87-C%20Top.jpg

No. TB_header is a 10 position 2 row header, that unknown header on your motherboard is 6 position 2 row.

I thought the TPM was a 2 position 2 row header.

How about Usain Bolt?

Or Boom Pipe?

2 Likes

Is that Dell what you ended up with after you returned the Lenovo (sorry, slightly off-topic, but didn’t want to revive that thread since it’s almost at 3 months)?

Yep. Review soon, waiting for linux support to not be garbage.

1 Like

Yeah, no. Usually TPM is a 20p2r. Looks like that 14p2r header (“14-1 TPM”) is an Asus thing.