Where is Thunderbolt on Threadripper?! Here it is, but... | Level One Techs

1x5 or 1x6 is the tb header, typically.

It’s just a system management bus interface. That’s it

1 Like

I have the X370 Gaming K4. Difference between the B350 and the X370 are not that big, so I went searching for the header.
Is the position marked red the one in question?

We should call it lightning strike

1 Like

Thunder Rip 3. I have X99 and im pretty shure it goes through the pcie lanes to the cpu and not the bus.

Nice one, Wendell. All those juicy PCIe lanes, just waiting to be used. And for the name? piXie

1 Like

@wendell

6 Likes

Wow… this is making the rounds fast.

2 Likes

Thats because its something people actually want

3 Likes

I’m surprised it’s not on Hackaday yet. Maybe tweet at them?

I haven’t interacted with Twitter in like 5 years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ except for work via Lithium

@wendell I was inspired by your hack and signed-up on the forums to share my use case for TB3 on Threadripper. The LG Ultrafine 5k hiDPI display is Thunderbolt only. I’m building a new TR4 system and the Gigabyte Designare is my board of choice specifically for the Thunderbolt header (also thanks to your review).

27" 5k display:

here’s a fellow combining a TB3 Asus expansion card with this 5k display, albeit on X299 Intel chipset:

most of the activity for TB3 and this 5k display is coming from the hackintosh community:

3 Likes

Interesting, this may be one of the things waiting for certification, too. I am not sure if the DP inputs on the TB card would do what is needed to carry the signal. Wouldbe a good experiment. Wonder if I can get LG to send me one for testing… :smiley:

5 Likes

Word to the wise, whining about official support for this on a subreddit will attract trolls like no tomorrow. No productive conversation can ever arise if you talk about how there’s no official support, just be happy there’s a “hacker’s” way right now.

Most of the comments were like “Haha, you’re claims are all fake. What are you a magician?”

STAY AWAY FROM SUBREDDITS with this crap.

Let me help you out: Stay away from Reddit. It’s an echo chamber that encourages toxicity.

4 Likes

IMO that heavily depends on the Subreddits you’re frequenting.
Just like any other forum.

1 Like

The way reddit is designed, it discourages individual thought and encourages confirmation bias. Think about it.

The more the community agrees with you, the higher your post is placed. Once the community disagrees with you enough, your comment gets entirely hidden.

4 Likes

Hi Wendell, I’m extremely interested in this.
I do have one ASUS Z270 Intel Rig with added Thunderbolt 3 that I use very successfully for external storage only (no DP). ASUS gave NO decent instructions on how to implement it, but fortunately someone on the internet posted instructions.
I also have an ASUS X399 Threadripper 1950X Rig that I use for 4K Video editing and compositing, and I would switch to the Gigabyte X399 Designare MoBo in a heartbeat to gain TB3 Storage capabilities. Not needing Hot Plug or DP Video. External Storage only.
While you gave a nice presentation on YouTube, I’m still pretty unclear of the actual steps and hardware swaps required and if it’s truly even feasible for me to attempt this implementation. I’m good with pulling and re-seating chips, I’m good editing code and updating firmware. But without real instructions, I’m a little in the dark and not certain where to start.
Have you published these instruction privately, or are you willing to? It would even be worth a few bucks to me to have a real set of instructions. Love to get your reply to this. Cheers, Boyd

He didn’t publish any step-by-step instruction due to probably legal reasons. That’s why he just gave an overview of what needed to be done.

4 Likes

I know he didn’t publish it publicly. I was appealing to him to privately publish to those who would actually try it themselves. Still hoping. :sunglasses:
Boyd

nice try intel legal team

4 Likes