Where is Thunderbolt on Threadripper?! Here it is, but... | Level One Techs

What's the hold up with Thunderbolt on Threadripper? Is there some technical limitation?

Here we show off the Gigabyte Designare X399 w/the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge TB controller. We got it working on our own -- it's a DIY solution.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/where-thunderbolt-threadripper-here-it
16 Likes

Good Job Wendell. BZ.

Maybe we should just call it Raiden’s Bolt.

Yeah, not very creative. That is why they hide me away in the corner.

3 Likes

nice.

I know you probably get this a lot, but is there a working RSS feed for the mp3 audio podcasts?

also, where is the PCIE reset patch available?

For threadripper? The patch should be available through the respective vendors websites. I believe gigabyte is the beta bios at the moment.

No, the kernel patch.

found it:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10183255/

1 Like

Damn. Tiny patch.

I’m wondering if there are any generic patches for the “hangs on shutdown” version of the reinit AMD bug. There are client side workarounds but I’d really like to see a set and forget fix.

1 Like

Possibly. I’d volunteer to look into it, but I frankly don’t have the time.

It’s kinda my side hustle to know, but this is a blind spot for me unfortunately.

I would like to see other people start to admit that there are 2 versions of the bug though, if they are even the same issue

1 Like

I don’t know of any reason this is useful to me right now, but I still get excited about this sort of stuff.

Hi.

Also, that’s kinda cool. I don’t need it, but it’s kinda cool.

I am very happy with AMD’s success but talking out of my butt I think it is pretty disingenuous to say that there are a lot of PCI Express lanes directly to the CPU in Thread ripper. Did you mean direct lanes to the “infinity fabric”? because really what is a CPU? I am thinking about all those cores… What happens when two different cores want data from the same (or different!) PCIe devices?

Looking forward to learn.

Sincerely,

Not sure if there is much point in using an external GPU on a desktop for gaming purposes, still, Thunderbolt is quite handy to have.

Sooo… If I understand it right, there is just an UEFI module in the BIOS/UEFI (:stuck_out_tongue:) on X299 and other Intel chipsets with TB that just needs extracting and inserting into an X399 BIOS.
UEFITool shows 3 such modules which it could be, I guess?: TbtDxe, TbtSmm and TbtPei
I don’t think the binary blob would just be about ~30KB??
But from what I gather I even need to get a bit of stuff from the TB add-in card and from an active Intel board, so I’m out of luck since I don’t have that?

1 Like

@wendell

This is the same gnif patch that fixes TR passthrough, right?

it doesn’t have general applications for hotplugging/resetting devices outside of threadripper, does it?

Infinity Fabric is part of the CPU, so what’s your point?
Also even if you were not to count IF to the CPU for whatever reason, those are still native lanes, and that’s the point. They are not bottlenecked by a slow connection in between.

They just access them? It’s not like the access is exclusive.
Xeon dual (or quad) socket systems also access each others PCIe devices, same thing, not a big deal. And the connection between those two is even slower AFAIK (the old one is a ring bus (WTF?), the new one is a mesh that is totally-not-similar to IF).

1 Like

Same technique for bridge reset and manipulation works for the bridge on thunderbolt.

Xfiles music plays.

interesting. Thanks. Reason I ask is that we’ve been looking for a host-side fix for AMD reinit problems for a while,

We don’t have the resources to test the compatibility for a wide range of GPUs, so the rombar/flashing option is a bit out of our scope.

Lol, well since I don’t have a TB add-in card I can’t test it, just inserting the modules would be no problem. Reminds me of the NVMe BIOS mod for boards with UEFI that didn’t support NVMe, that was fantastic :smiley:

1 Like