Where can I get HQ movies? 4k and dts

Don’t forget recording over the air!

Or when ATSC3.0 rolls out in the US you could record those broadcast. ATSC3 is capable of 4K and some broadcasters are starting to use it. For whatever reason South Korea also uses ATSC and they have been broadcasting in ATSC3.0 for a short while now. I have only seen the test streams we run in our lab at work on “the world’s first ATSC3.0 TV” by LG, a modest 65" 4K.
For those who are into recording broadcast tv, most streams will probably be a 1080 stream that is upscaled to 4K. But there will be plenty of 4K content in the air soon. Not to mention the large amounts of storage space needed to record the broadcast before converting it to something manageable.

1 Like

ATSC 3.0 is going through a privacy challenge because it has audience analytics and tracking data IN THE STANDARD.

This is the primary reason it’s not mandatory yet.

1 Like

No question the standard was created for advertisers. I just hope all broadcaster jump on sooner, and maybe I can get a decent deal on a non atsc3.0 tv.

I hope they don’t. If TV manufacturers have a new source of tracking behavior that is an official standard, ACLU and EFF will be going insane over how that data is to be used, especially when the ATSC promotes it in the standard.

1 Like

Just came across a Linus techquickie on atsc3.0 from a month ago. lol

The content stream of atsc3 will be an ip based stream, this is to allow more devices to get OTA. The horrible intrusive part of this is when your atsc3.0 device connects to the internet and phones home. I am sure that the vast majority of people in this community can easily block that on their networks. But I could also see your brand new tv giving you a warning saying it cant play tv cause it cant connect to ad machine (insert dystopia story here). At the moment I would recommend a display and a atsc3.0 tuner to get the content and avoid the advertisement tracking.

The reality being that the smart will always take advantage of the “less smart”. With that said, if the standard moves to an ip stream, that only makes it easier for smart people to get that content and rip and format to our desire.

1 Like

Well, probably they’ll make HDCP less common so you have to have a device which checks for the internet.

Wendell said it, we are living the darkest timeline.

Consumers buy VPN + ATSC3 tuner

Advertisers see people around the globe are watching OTA

1 Like

100% illegal due to you have to bypass copyright protection when taking it off the disk (in the US it is for sure)

Doesnt say anything about the bit rate or the compression used when streaming it its just the resolution of the image

Going to be extremely rare to have anything online streaming super high quality as they arent gonna wanna pay the data bill. I also dont think ethernet on copper will go past 40gbit at the home level, its just cheaper and more reliable at that point.

1 Like

This only does 4K, though.

Cat 8 but there some rumors about 100Gbit cat 9

the law is about vague on that when it is for personal use. I could probably put a cd player to my plex to then stream the movie over the network to my tv so?

I meant 4 times the 1080p quality. And that only.

It is not vague you are bypassing copy protection, it is 100% illegal

Depends on the country, though, which makes this topic kinda difficult here.
Talking about illegal stuff on the forum is forbidden as stated in the forum rules. But the issue is: the laws about this are different in almost every country, so it might not be obvious for some forum members in different countries that this topic is (or why it is) taboo.

1 Like

The picture is misleading, the actual specs support 8K. If you find a picture of the rear, it’s SDI connections for days.

I thought that making backups of the media you bought, while still having the original physical copy on hand, was okay? It is yours and you are only assuring continued access to your property should then physical version cease to function, you still have to have it even if non functional though as that is your proof of ownership.

Though when you get to redistribution then it is piracy.

That part is ok but defeating DRM is not. It’s stupid but technically because Blu-ray is DRM protected media, you cannot legally rip them.

3 Likes

Removing or defeating the DRM is the illegal bit, rather than just the format shift, so just needs a player that can process a disk image and leave the image intact? Like copying the iso of a dvd? (Linux ISO’s of course…)

But then you would need the codec installed to play the file, which would be breaking the drm, even if it does not change the source.
Never mind.

1 Like

Not in the us as you are breaking copyright law since you have to bypass drm to make said copy.

True but there is a contradictory ruling from the VHS days that says it is legal to make copies of media for personal use and backup.

Now this ruling vs the DMCA has never gone to court so there is no true precedent. Doubt a jury will rule in favor of the MPAA. And, unless you let the MPAA inspect your hard drives for your MakeMKV/Handbrake rips nothing will come of it. Especially if you are ripping movies you legally obtained.

On to the main topic outside of Japan,UHD Blu-ray is going to be the highest quality video at the moment. Most streaming sources don’t have lossless audio positional audio unlike Blu-ray they may have Atmos but not at lossless quality.

Video compression is also another issue. BD normally has the least. On the streaming side Vudu has the highest bit rate and normal include all HDR formats like HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. Granted, Vudu is not accessible everywhere.

HDR is a strange issue though I have seen some movies that only have per scene HDR color (HDR10+ and Dolby Vision) on the streaming release. Plus, they will do sketchy things like release a Film 2 weeks plus on streaming before UHD BD.

Plex is not bad even if you do run a video through handbrake you generally will get less compression that say Netflix if you are to aggressive. Plex offer pass-through for most surround codec so if your receiver can decode it you should be alright.

I would star away from upscale in both resolution and framers of you are sensitive to the uncanny Valley. I have try multiple upscaler from NVIDIA, Samsung, LG and Sony. I have found them all looking repulsive.

But to be honest none of this matters if you don’t have the AV setup to make use of the quality.

Vhs didn’t have drm and the Drm is the issue

Akchewally they did, in certain VHS tapes, it messed up copies.

4 Likes