Where can I get HQ movies? 4k and dts

No, some things like Verizon FiOS use FTTN nodes to do the IPTV delivery, and that’s separate from the Internet service IPs the ISP assigns to you.

I have immediate doubts when no films are recorded at 60fps. I also assume 8k would be compressed?

What service offers uncompressed uhd films? I’m not aware of any.

It says uhd across the top. Mostly newer films are in 4K, companies have been slowly releasing older titles at 4K. However not all uhd film is alike, some are 2k from the source upscaled rather than actual 4K from the source.

You can look them up there’s a site somewhere that lists what every uhd release was sourced as (4K or 2k)

1 Like

Nothing offers pure uncompressed. The closest you can get is if you know someone who’s a projectionist and has access to JPEG 2000 DCP files. (which the Hard Drives are encrypted and FIPS wiped after the movie as it’s run. There’s also a invisible digital watermark in the movie that can be decoded to source the projector serial number and installation number, and the link from the player to the projector is encrypted PCI-Express)

Films are 24 for a reason. It’s the framerate the film ran at for the longest time, and 48fps for the Hobbit was more for 3D projection to reduce motion jitter. It only works for 3D though.

2001: A Space Odyssey was recently rescanned and broadcast in 8K in Japan, that was 24, but the broadcast frame rate is 59.94 using 3:2 pulldown.

Interpolating films to 60 is not a good thing to do, as it creates the “soap opera” effect.

Edit: actually, funny point on Blu-rays. If you look at the source, even fully digital animated movies have film grain… That’s not film grain, that’s an invisible watermark that prevents genuine Blu-ray players from playing a ripped film on a burnt BD-R.

2 Likes

Interesting.

So the only possible way to see high quality movies is still the movie theater? With hifi audio.

I recently setup my hifi system so next up for me is video.

The only way to get the most uncompressed picture possible is to be at the colorist booth during editing. Even then, compression happens at the camera for the RAW Bayer data.

For Standard Definition analog video, the best quality was Laserdisc. For chroma compressed HD analog video for consumer facing stuff, it’s MUSE 1035i. (also on Laserdisc)

For 4K, nothing right now has the least amount of compression possible. ProRes source files are the only way, and you need to be on the crew of a TV show or Movie for that to happen.

2 Likes

What size would even be an uncompressed 120minute 60fps 8k movie be? Like 300GB?

But AI enhancing a movie to 48fps might be pleasant enough for my eyes, even 60fps in games is starting to tickle me.

1080p60 is 3Gbps. 4K 60p is 12Gbps. 8K 60fps is 48Gbps. That’s in bits.

1 Like

that is uncompressed?

Anyways you would still need dual category 8 ethernet cable or fiber to even get that thru put.

Yes. That’s 447GB a minute. 26.8TB an hour. A 120minute film at 8K 60fps uncompressed is 53.6 TERABYTES.

1 Like

yeah. Okay. Sure. 300€ per 10TB disc. 1600€ atleast PER MOVIE plus some cables will probably end up with 2000€(2500$) setup to see some high quality movies. Not even counting the money for the hi-fi audio system.

You thought the multiple VHS tapes Titanic came on was overkill? This is even more overkill.

2 Likes

Well we get the 100GB ethernet soon so let’s hope atleast at some hot spots we could get 8k video streaming. Or new file types.

Do the blurays have Dolby DTS or Atmos or what?

Most will have Atmos. MPEG-H 3D is a new standard coming out for the same concept as Atmos, but in a different standard:

1 Like

This is the only fully integrated 8K recorder on the planet, by the company ASTRO in Japan:

Well I hope to enjoy my John Wick movies with the highest quality.

I thought about having a render machine to render the extra frames on the go. Seems pretty overkill but I really don’t like stiff movements or blurr.

Sony’s tech for interpolation is actually pretty solid. Once Sony gets out 8K TVs, they’ll be worth looking into.

Samsung already has 8K TVs, but their TVs are guaranteed to data mine you. Sony is letting Google data mine you. There’s a slight difference.

1 Like

I think I’ll go with the korean data mine.

This one?

Yes this also lists them.

3 Likes

AFAIK the movie Gemini Man starring Will Smith is the only movie released in 4k HDR @60 FPS

IMAX has a bunch of releases at 1080p 60 FPS

You can always look for the Hobbit at 48 FPS

Otherwise, as has been mentioned the 4k HDR is likely going to be as high as it gets.

1 Like

I have that exact set in the pile of VHS tapes I have captured recently, along with the Sound of Music double set and a couple Star Wars box sets that have some ridiculous packaging. I think the Twin Peaks season 1, 7 tape set, is the winner in sheer volume though.

1 Like