When are 8 cores / 10 cores / 12 cores due?

Haswell will be 1150.

Nope, it's LGA1156.

While I agree with most people here that more cores and sh*t doesn't equate to more power, I believe the tech world is currently experiencing a shift towards that direction, along with multi-threads.

LGA 1156 was last gen before 1155. Haswell is LGA1150. 

"Haswell will use the LGA-1150 socket for desktops and either rPGA947 or BGA1364 for notebooks."

http://vr-zone.com/articles/detailed-intel-haswell-specs-revealed/13908.html

"Desktop Haswell platform will use new socket LGA 1150. The chipsets for upcoming processors will have native USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt support."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/hot-topics/intel-haswell

care to tell me why they would use an older socket

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600007888&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201156

Back to the topic, now with AMD not putting pressure on Intel on the high end I doubt Intel will bother adding more cores for consumer CPUs. Which is why the 3930/3960 ended up being a crippled eight core. 

Whether or not they can be made is not the issue, heck, Intel already has CPUs with up to 60 cores. The biggest reason why we don't have them is because consumers aren't creating a demand for them, AMD isn't giving Intel enough competition, and Intel can milk us for more money by milking the quad-cores as much as possible before fully moving onto 6, 8, and more cores.

There's also the reason that developers aren't making use of them but that's misleading. There's a whole world of software outside of video games. Just because video game developers aren't taking advantage of 8 cores doesn't mean video editing developers, database software developers, and virtualization developers haven't already been making use of as many cores as they've been given.

Ah, sorry, I misread it on wiki a few weeks back. I read predecessor as successor .

Since I haven't seen it up there yet. What is your system using for memory?

intel actualy already have a 10 core xeon 

http://ark.intel.com/products/53580/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8870-30M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

Just have fun paying for it and all of its other nesecary parts

that is for servers. servers are very difrent than desktops. servers run alot of low-power tasks, and alot of vm's....

i know ^.^ was just saying they already exist =[)

i still don't see how it's worth it upgrading from an i7 920 to the current i7's on market right now most of them are typically the same thing as i'm using right now i7 920 @ 4ghz..

moving to another i7 and oc'ing it to 4ghz or 4.2~4.5ghz is silly

hence i want to go atleast i7 8 cores upgrade to actually feel a difference

i've been waiting for quite a while i don't think i'd be satisfied with a 6 core 3930 =/

i want atleast double the performance i've already been waiting for ages and it's been quite laggy lately when it's at 100% cpu usage

i would be disappointed if i wait till 2013 q2 or q3 and sitll no 8 cores

based on the previous posts i feel like it's not happening ?

i just wanted to bump this topic if anyone has a better idea on when we might see 8 core i7s?

the thing is if they come up them 8cores/16threads, they'd be a cheap solution compared to work station, hence why intel doesn't bother since it would kill their workstation bargains so we'r going to be on 6 cores for quite a while right? or am i wrong it's just their having a hard time cranking all those cores into 16 threads without heat problems or oc problems?

i just wanted to bump this topic if anyone has a better idea on when we might see 8 core i7s?

the thing is if they come up them 8cores/16threads, they'd be a cheap solution compared to work station, hence why intel doesn't bother since it would kill their workstation bargains so we'r going to be on 6 cores for quite a while right? or am i wrong it's just their having a hard time cranking all those cores into 16 threads without heat problems or oc problems?

Holy bump.

And there already are some hexa core i7's as well as octo core xeons, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm surprised no one has asked what you are running that keeps your CPU near 100%. Normal computing doesn't do that and if you are running something CPU intensive, you shouldn't be doing a million other things to begin with. 

yeah, what in the world are you doing?

some rediculous amount of 3d modeling?

We already know that Ivy bridge-E will only be up to 6 cores like the previous gen. So the earliest you could see an 8 core i7 would be Haswell-E, but from I have seen those aren't slated for release until the end of 2014.

Intel wouldn't want to release an i7 that would undercut their other more expensive chips. I think the timeline for Intel releasing 8-core i7s will depend on how good AMD's steamroller cpus are.

What it so good about intel? I would just go AMD they have 8 cores allready, Not for server!