What would you guys recommend, looking to change to an AMD graphics card

This is not a generic term… It’s not RAID or Velcro or something.
SLI is Nvidia garbage technology, while Crossfire is the AMD equivalent.
AMDs implementation is better, cause it doesn’t require extra hardware to work, it works in any combination of PCI-E lanes and so on … Nvidias implementation (as usual) is restrictive, uses proprietary hardware (bridges), more expensive (cause it needs certifying for every motherboard) and so on …
So it’s not the same thing at all…

Please, know the difference.

3 Likes

Eh but if you are a New Jersey Devils fan like I am or an AMD fan this really works. Color scheme is spot on.

Open drivers, no geforce experience, no driver fuckery under Linux (it just works these days out of box with full 3d support) generally better compute, supporting open standards.

Unless you’re doing 4k at >60 fps, AMD have products that are just fine.

The RX470 and up is good for 1080p.

Seriously, AMD on the software side (early Radeon VII drivers notwithstanding) is a breath of fresh air after switching from nvidia. And on the linux side the experience is even better.

Also, anecdotal, but plenty of people have mentioned it online and i instantly noticed it switching from Nvidia GTX760 to AMD RX480 - the colours on AMD seem better. Like much better. Instantly noticeable for me.

I recently helped a friend with some GPU issue. The nvidia controll panel gave me windows XP flashbacks. It is and looks dated.

1 Like

I think you’re missing the point here. The RX 5xx is where the value is in AMD cards atm but that’s not an upgrade from titan.
Apparently the radeon vii has gotten a little better with drivers, so I don’t know, maybe that could be an option, depending on what you want to do.
Personally I wouldn’t go with amd right now unless I was looking for something in the mid-range.

To be fair, they’re not very good at 1440p.

RX 580 can’t push mid graphics at 1440p.

I would be especially wary if the OP is going to run this on Ubuntu at anything higher than 60hz.

I don’t think there is anything AMD has that’s an upgrade over a dual Maxwell Titan setup. Unless you ran dual Vega 56 or dual Vega 64 in Crossfire.

I would not be upgrading gpus from what you currently have

Spend the money elsewhere

i happen to look on craiglist today, and i found a person close to me whos selling a rad.VII for $875

I would wait…

Well y’all, I waited, and got lucky AF. I happen to check Newegg on Friday, and lol and behold, they had a powercolor Radeon 7. Guest it was the only one they had, because their out of stock again. Excited to say it will be here Wednesday. Can’t wait to start playing with it.

4 Likes