What would you guys recommend, looking to change to an AMD graphics card

Hey all, I just got most of the parts for my next build, the only thing I haven’t bought yet is the graphics card, because I’m not sure what to do, or where to go. Currently I’m running 2 maxwel titans in SLI, I was going to the the Radeon 7, but we can see what’s happened with that. I want to get the closest offering AMD has to the titans, but I’m not sure if I can wait till Navi is actually released. What would y’all suggest?

The closest to GTX Titan X (Maxwell) would be R9 295x2’s in CF, wich does not make ANY sense except for epeen purposes.

Vega64 in CrossFire would be a 30%-ish upgrade, at 800€ (400€ per card) a significant investment. At that point, a single Vega Vii would be the sensible purchase (allthough not an upgrade at that).

I can wait that long, but I am a monk in regards to planning purchases.

In this case I’d go with Vega VII. At this point, drivers can only improve :smiley:

4 Likes

except theres no place to actually get a radeon 7 unless i pay 2X retail

1 Like

Seeing you are still on Maxwell cards, I would have expected you to be patient enough to wait for Vii to be in stock.

1 Like

im still rocking the maxwell cards because there had been no reason, and nothing compelling enough for me to do so, however, now that freesync is a thing, i feel its time to give AMD some love. im just trying to really decided what to do, and how long i, less need, more want, to hold out.

1 Like

what are you trying to accomplish? that will help you and us to be able to give useful advice.

I don’t know what are you guys talking about…

Titan X Maxwell is on average 30% faster than 290X…
Vega 56 is on average even faster than that… So Vega 56 will be side grade… Vega 64 will be upgrade. Vega 7 will be massive upgrade…

I’d wait for Radeon 7 to come back into stock for a little bit and then pick one up.

well, that falls into the waiting category, and i am really hoping that a restock happens at some point.

Unless your current GPU(s) are broken, waiting right now is the best thing to do.

What are you using the cards for?

Vega 64 is still a pretty fast card - sure it’s not 1080ti fast (most of the time, sometimes it is but rarely), but it runs with the 1080 in most stuff.

Price has dropped a lot on vega too lately as well.

1 Like

what is your use case? what does the computer do? play games? compute?

the most honest answer is that, my use case has changed/ shifted since the time i originally got the titans. at the time, i was using them in premiere, and maxing out GTA V, and whatever other games could take any advantage of them. these days, i think the only program i use that really uses them is resolve, it has a cuda option. but these days my daily flow is, i record minecraft via OBS using the NVEC encoding option, using 1440P resolution, edit it in resolve, and export. im also playing through FFXV right now, which i know used game works, and i dont have a really way to examine how performance might change if i switch to AMD graphics.

1 Like

OK, so you’re playing FFXV right now… but you’re planning to use the cards for gaming under windows or something else?

If most of your use case is minecraft and video recording, then any card will do that pretty much. I’d just keep your current card(s) until you find something you need to upgrade for?

If it’s an idealistic move (because of NV business practice, drivers, etc.) then Vega 56 or 64 will be plenty. Performance will be compromised a little on FFXV, but that’s one game… and you could just use one of your titans for that until you finish playing it.

well, the other big thing for me, is that my current monitors now support freesync, and im going to give gaming on ubuntu a try for a few months, and ive heard that AMD OSed their drivers, and so they work really well under linux/ vulcan.

I’d suggest giving linux gaming a shot with your existing Titan before going to buy an AMD card based on that.

AMD drivers are open sure, but the gaming experience is not really going to be any better under Linux other than the open drivers. Check to see that what you want to play actually runs, first.

If you do decide lInux gaming is for you, THEN go buying new cards, until then i’d suggest to hold off until you confirm that Linux gaming is for you.

that is my overall plan, but with the way i think, i like to ask these questions, and get as much info as i can long in advance.

Fair enough. I’m on Vega 64 at the moment and it will do 1440p just fine (i.e., 60-150+ fps on most of the stuff i play).

Most of the NV specific gameworks shit you can normally turn off if performance is not up to par, but generally i can run max everything at an acceptable frame rate on 2560x1080 ultra-wide. Vega 64 is kinda overkill for that, even.

FFXV may be an exception (i don’t have it), but buying cards based on one game = questionable sanity imho… :smiley:

Well if you still need or benefit from cuda engine for your daily work.
Then i´m not sure if switching to AMD would be a smart choice really.
But wenn it comes to gaming performance the Radeon 7 is close to a RTX2080.
With the RTX2080 winning in certain titles.

you are absolutely right, but because im been one these cards for the past few years, i dont have have a way to mentally compare in my head