What would you guys recommend, looking to change to an AMD graphics card

Im not sure how well maxwell cards work on linux, but 10 series sure work just fine. Never had an issue yet with my 1070 since I installed Linux. Just dont use NVIDIAs script. There are repos for the driver and its way more convenient than killing off your x session to be able to run nvivias script in save mode.

And NVIDIA supports freesync too now. So just saying you dont have to go AMD. If you have use for some nvidia features especially.

i totally understand that i dont HAVE to go AMD, but im just choosing too, because i havent done so in a few generations.

1 Like

I suggest that you buy a card used so that neither AMD nor Nvidia get your money right now. They don’t deserve it. Good luck with your decision.

1 Like

i had thought about that, but the only real option i have for that is ebay, and those lists are SO hit or miss as far as pricing goes

1 Like

so im looking through ebay listing for vega 64s, and it seems like theres alot of asus, gigabyte, XFX, and powercolor. are there any brands i should steer clear from?

Would personally avoid XFX because it just looks odd.

1 Like

well, to be fair to XFX inn this case, all their cards im seeing are the blower style reference.

When they are reference, then it does not matter. AMD reference PCBs are overenigneered and overbuilt beyond belief.

good to know. other question, i see some powercolor V64 red devils for sail, what the would the cooling power difference be between a blower cooler, and a 3 fan cooler?

Massive.

Unless you’re in a tiny case you want an aftermarket, multi fan open cooler. Blower coolers suck and are loud.
You should also undervolt.

Don’t buy any of the Gigabyte or Asus cards. Their Vega offerings are terrible

ok, thats valuable to know

Yeah the coolers are wonky and they don’t have very good performance. Sapphire is prob your best bet. Followed by XFX

what about powercolor? i see some 3 fan red devils for not bad pricing

Yeah the Powercolors are also a solid option for sure

ok, guest ill keep an eye on ebay to see if i can get one of those for a good price

I really don’t see a point for you to go AMD at this point. I mean, I can’t argue with feels (wanting to go AMD, believe me, I want to as well), but there just isn’t any logical reason to go there.

Anything you could get would only be a slight upgrade at best in power, processing power that is, because in power usage you would probably be doing a major downgrade to the worse, since the vega cards are insanely power hungry.
Not to mention the loss in video quality if you like to use your GPU for encoding, because last I checked, nvidia was way ahead in that game.

Sadly I don’t think even patience will help you, because I don’t think there will be a reasonable product from AMD in your level this year, even with Navi. Only reasonable AMD cards right now are the RX 580 and 590 (or lower end) in my opinion.

I take it maxwell is “too old” for freesync, which would make it the only compelling argument for an upgrade, I guess.

Personally I can’t wait for the day AMD will compete in the GPU market again and I really hope by the time I need to upgrade, AMD will have something for me to buy.

1 Like

i just want to add that the radeon vii wont do sli.

And i think i read on this forum that the vega64 has issues with sli under Linux, However this could be outdated. So please correct me if i am wrong.

Well I’ve been running a Fury for the last few years and I’ve really been waiting for crushing top end card from AMD to get for an upgrade. Given the current landscape of the GPU market I’m perfectly okay with waiting. I don’t need the top end card every year.

That being said I hope that Navi does well, but I have the feeling the ghost of Raja and Rayfield will still be around.

No AMD card does SLI.

SLI is an Nvidia thing, Crossfire is AMD

3 Likes

:< Nitpicking